PDA

View Full Version : How do you deal with food odors in hair?

wavymane
January 16th, 2011, 03:28 PM
I've done some googling and found some supposed solutions such as spraying the hair with Lemon or Orange mixed with water, a dryer sheet which I imagine would only cover it up. Is there any way to truly neutralize odor without having to re-wash????:confused:

Carolyn
January 16th, 2011, 04:03 PM
I have no problem with washing it. I've never found a spray that solved the problem. Actually the things I've tried have made it worse. You can put your hair up in a bun/updo so it isn't in your face where you can smell it. I find that washing it the next day whether I planned to or not is the best thing for me. I hate stinky hair.

Alaia
January 16th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Pretty much anything I've tried only really covers it up. Sometimes it helps to keep the hair up and away from the smelly thing (be it food, a pet, or anything else), other times this doesn't work (for example staying for the whole day around horses, unfortunately, guarantees my hair will stink of horses).

As per Carolyn, washing is the only solution that gets rid of the smell.

wavymane
January 16th, 2011, 04:19 PM
This is what I was thinking too. I really don't want to wash every day. I'm sure I'm not alone in the number of hrs. it takes my hair to dry and the whole production in doing so. My hair is uber thick and dense. I cook every day more then once a day so I just feel like a stinky head all the time :( It just seems like my hair absorbs odors more then other people. I read about people doing water washing only, washing their hair less then once a week. Don't they cook? LOL Don't they get that sebum smell?? I just don't get it........

Also I just read in another post that it takes 80 minutes of rinsing your scalp to get rid of residue?? SERIOUSLY??????????? Who can stand under the shower for this long:rant: as if I don't spend enough time taking care of my hair already? YIKES...

mkmulwee
January 16th, 2011, 04:26 PM
I have a similar frustration at work with the spray cleaning chemicals and wet cardboard smells. I haven't been able to wash some smells out!! I just try to wrap a scarf around my head if I'm going near offensive odors.

lynnspin
January 16th, 2011, 04:27 PM
The only time I really have problems with food odors in my hair is when I go to a Mexican restaurant. I inevitably leave smelling of fajitas!

When I cook at home, I pull my hair back and it seems to keep food odors out...

You could try wrapping your hair in a scarf or wearing a hat?

enfys
January 16th, 2011, 04:36 PM
I have a sensitive nose but my hair only picks up the smell of cigarette smoke or damp, musty rooms. My hair doesn't smell of anything else when I let it down. Unless it smells of coconuts (oil).

Maybe it's something to do with the porosity of hair in general? My hair is not very porous at all.

wavymane
January 16th, 2011, 04:46 PM
I often thought if it had to do with porosity as well but my I'm actually Low/Normal. So I'm stumped......

Thanks for the replies ladies you make a newbie feel welcome :D