PDA

View Full Version : A weird observation of curls...

rose.grace
January 16th, 2011, 02:15 PM
At 4" my hair is stick straight. At 5" it starts sticking out. At 7" it starts to form ringlets.

Hair grows from the scalp. So the ends that are now curling at one time were straight, for at least 8 months. This baffles me. Anyone know, or have a theory as to why this happens? :ponder:

Anywhere
January 16th, 2011, 02:20 PM
I think there's just not enough length, so the shorter hairs are stiffer and less likely to curl. Kind of like how shaved hairs on legs feel very stiff when they're small but softer and more flexible when longer.

rose.grace
January 16th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Interesting... I never thought of that before, Anywhere. Thanks :) Now off to ponder this some more...

GlassWidow
January 16th, 2011, 02:30 PM
I've noticed that my hair does different things not only at different lengths, but also went through some serious changes during and after pregnancy. Pregnancy made my previously naturally auburn hair turn brown, which was annoying enough, but then it shed like nobody's business, all around my hair line. It all grew back in, but it was several months of very awkward hair days! :)

MissManda
January 16th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Your hair sounds a lot like my DBF's hair. He also has 2c/3a hair that looks like 1a/1b when it is short, so I was so surprised to see that he had wurly hair after several months of growing it out (this was before we got together).

My hair seems to be doing the opposite lately. I've noticed that some of my shed hairs have weird bends/waves (it's slightly coarser too, hmm...) to them near the roots while the rest of the hair is fairly straight with slight s-shaped waves. I haven't noticed these before and I'm worried the weird bendy bits grow out the way they seem to be, it'll make my hair look funny.

rose.grace
January 16th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Glass Widow,

I'm glad your hair grew back out normally after your pregnancy. I don't remember my hair being affected by it, myself, but I have heard many women say it messed with theirs.

MissManda,

The frustrating thing is the longer it gets, the shorter it looks! I feel like the White Queen here! :disgust: