PDA

View Full Version : Microwave+Oil=???

Kaya
January 16th, 2011, 09:51 AM
So I was curious. I recently transferred a few of my coconut oils into lovely blue glass bottles designed for essential oils. Used with the droppers that came with them, and I am in hair oil heaven! :cheese:
Anways, I was wondering, can you microwave solidified coconut oil? Since the old oil bottles were plastic, I didn't even consider it, but now that I have the glass bottles, it seems like a possibility.
Has anyone done this? I would be worried about somehow affecting the oil in a bad way. I usually just stick the oil in a glass of hot water, but perhaps using the microwave will be faster.

BelleLoupGarou
January 16th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Hmm, I suppose you could microwave the coconut oil. However, you need to be VERY careful when heating up any kind of oil and especially one your putting on your body. Microwaves tend to heat unevenly. I would heat your jars up on the stove in a pan with water or in really warm water in the sink. This way you can avoid a trip to the emergency room.... :/ Good luck and happy oiling!!

jenwexler
January 16th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Personally I don't heat oil anymore in the microwave because I never know how hot it gets. I've burned my scalp before jut from 30 seconds in the microwave so I take another method. I put the oil on my head and then blow dry it quickly while it's covered until my head feels hot. I think it's safer since I know how hot it gets.

yellowflower
January 16th, 2011, 10:22 AM
It really dangerous to do it in the microwave as it heats from the middle and can get to hot so when you go into get it, it could explode and scar you, so be careful

Anywhere
January 16th, 2011, 10:25 AM
It really dangerous to do it in the microwave as it heats from the middle and can get to hot so when you go into get it, it could explode and scar you, so be careful

I've had this happen to me with wax. :o

I'd advise putting it in hot water as well. or hardly microwaving it, mixing it around, and waiting a bit for it to cool just in case.

Kaya
January 16th, 2011, 12:25 PM
:bigeyes: Oh dear. I definitely don't want to tempt fate with breaking bottles and scalp burns. Nuff said! I will stick to my method of soaking the bottle in hot water. It's worked for me until now. No use fixing what ain't broken. :bluesmile

FluffSpider
January 16th, 2011, 12:37 PM
I'm not sure the glass you have is actually microwave-safe-I've had glass mugs just crack after a few seconds in the 'wave, or spark. And I also second the uneven heating, also some liquids are prone to acting awkward when microwave. A dude working in a chemistry lab told me its not safe to microwave pure water, as it can 'jump around' when you pull it out. I've never experienced this, but wouldn't like to either. Heating it in warm water is the safest way to go

pinchbeck
January 16th, 2011, 12:50 PM
I once put Vick's Vapor Rub in some water to use as an inhalent and decided to heat it up in the microwave. Well, you can guess what happened! It exploded and made its way into the holes inside of the microwave. What a mess it was.

kteachone
January 16th, 2011, 06:40 PM
I don't know about microwaves, but once, my cat knocked my container of coconut oil off the counter, and it landed next to the air vent. It hadn't been there long, but with the heat, the oil was liquid in a flash! Maybe you can sit it next to a vent, lol. :cheese:

christine1989
January 16th, 2011, 06:43 PM
I just melt my oil in my hand but sometimes I melt it in the microwave for hot oil treatments. The imoprtant thing to remember is that it ments VERY fast so 10 seconds is all you need.

Dragon
January 16th, 2011, 10:36 PM

I never new that. I am glad I no now so I don’t accidentally do that.