PDA

View Full Version : Safe hairstyles for little girls with long hair

Honestwitness
January 16th, 2011, 04:59 AM
My two-and-a-half-year-old granddaughter has never had a haircut and her hair is now mid-back length. She also tends to be accident-prone. Her mother usually puts her air in a ponytail or twin English braids held with elastic hair ties. My DGD is so active that it's not a good idea to put any kind of metal or even plastic barrettes in her hair, because the soon slide out or become tangled. Aand of course hair sticks and bobby pins are out of the question, because they could "poke your eye out."

I bought her a Tangle Teezer brush and gave it to her yesterday. I haven't heard yet whether she likes it. But I also told her mother about some of the posts I've read here in the past about adults with long hair getting it caught in doors, car doors, and sucked up in vacuum cleaners. My DIL said she may have to get my DGD a haircut, to keep her from getting hurt any more than she already has. She has been to the emergency room already multiple times in her young life for everything from the raisin up the nose trick to falling off the chair and hitting her head really hard on the floor to getting bitten in the face by the family dog (who is now extinct, by the way).

So, I'm looking for advice from those of you who have very young girls with long hair in your care. How to you style their hair in safe hairstyles?

milagro
January 16th, 2011, 05:40 AM
You (or rather her mother) may try lacing a ribbon or tape in braids, it holds better unless it's very slippery like silk or satin. It is a bit less damaging than elastics, too. But I will venture to say there're no holding styles for active kids :D

Marjolein
January 16th, 2011, 05:56 AM
I'm not sure, but maybe you can find some inspiration on here?
http://www.cutegirlshairstyles.com/

Lianna
January 16th, 2011, 05:56 AM
Well, she's rather young. But maybe this YT channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/CuteGirlsHairstyles) might help a little! :)

Sorry, I don't have kids to give more advice.

Kaeita
January 16th, 2011, 06:11 AM
I'd be braiding it, I think.

I just wanted to say that I don't think hair has much to do with toddler accidents. My son's hair just forms a halo of curls around his head even when it's long, so it's not in the way of anything. We spent a lot of time in the local emergency room at that age - he really lives life to the full! He's fallen off a ladder, taken a header when he misjudged his jump onto my belly, had permanently skinned knees for a while, and donked his head every time he walked under a table. It's true that long hair can be a hazard, which is why I suggest braiding it.

It's ok, she'll grow out of the toddler accidents, just in time for the preschool accidents ;) Those are the ones you get warning for - "hey, Mummy, watch this!"

enfys
January 16th, 2011, 08:34 AM
My hair was always kept long as a child and always in either a braided high ponytail or two braided pigtails, held top and bottom with a hairband.

My mum never mentioned it being involved in any of accidents and I spent most of my childhood climbing trees etc. My knees are scarred to bits, but my hair was always fine. My hair never got caight on anything, and my socks went up the vacuum cleaner more than my hair (socks- infinite amount, hair - never).

With regards to brushing, I obviously predated the Tangle Teezer and my mum just used a mini version of the Denman D3 to brush my hair. I have no memories of brushing or washing ever hurting; my mum taught me how to hold a flannel on my forehead to catch the runs.

My hair was very straight and fine and slippy slippy slippy! And long :D

Panth
January 16th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Although I wasn't accident-prone, I was very active as a child - very tom-boy, always climbing trees and fences and rolling down hills and all sorts of things. My mum kept my waist-length hair in two low english plaits almost every day and I was fine. They were tied off with hair bobbles and covered with ribbon bows. Sometimes, the two plaits were tied in a bow with one ribbon, to keep them behind my back. I had my hair like that almost every day until I got it cut ages 11. When I was naughty, I'd stand on a hilltop, unplait my hair and let "the wind comb it", as I'd put it ... mum was never very happy with having to uncomb the wind's combing...

soobie
January 16th, 2011, 10:49 AM
My 7 year old daughter has classic length hair, and I always keep it braided. She goes back and forth between wanting two braids and one big one in the back. Actually, she wants it down and loose all the time, but hates having tangles combed out, so.....braids it is!

She's never been involved in a hair-related accident. We keep it braided solely to prevent tangles.

lapushka
January 16th, 2011, 11:00 AM
My mom mostly put my hair up in two high pigtails, sometimes a high bun. It grew steadily from age 6 to age 10/11 (classic length). My hair never bothered me, nor did it get caught places. My mom had a strict rule. For school or other activities, I had to have my hair up. For some reason, higher pigtails were less in the way than lower ones. She always made sure the elastic on the pigtails was as tight as possible, so the pigtails stayed put.