PDA

View Full Version : Drying time of hair

yvsa
January 16th, 2011, 04:05 AM
Even with my very short hair it takes almost 2 hours to airdry completly. I have fine hair but a lot of it:). I have looked at the products I use and they contain silicones. Could the cones be the reason that it takes such a long time for my hair to airdry?

christine1989
January 16th, 2011, 04:13 AM
When I CO wash with cone conditioner my hair takes a bit longer to dry. With non cone conditioner it cuts back on the drying time and when I use shampoo it drys MUCH quicker. I suspect that cone buildup may be to blame for the slow drying time. I would say that your drying time is pretty good though especially for thicker hair. Mine is average thickness and takes up to 6 hours to dry :rolleyes:.

pepperminttea
January 16th, 2011, 05:42 AM
I actually find my hair dries much more quickly when I use 'cones, even just trying a 'coney serum. 'Cone-free, my drying time's around six/seven hours at worst. With 'cones, it can be less than half that (though they don't do my ends any favours, sadly). Oil shampoo's cut my drying time by a bit too, it's nearer four/five hours at the moment.

Lianna
January 16th, 2011, 05:53 AM
My hair dried faster without conditioner, too.

Little_Bird
January 16th, 2011, 06:55 AM
It's funny because I think my hair takes less time to dry now that it is long than it used to in shorter lenghts...

I do blowdry my roots now but I doubt it makes an impact on the lenght to dry, since it still drips after I blowdry on top.

I think that weather and what you do while it dries also has a part on it. It can vary greatly depending on lots of factors I think, at least for the it does :p

Madora
January 16th, 2011, 07:29 AM
I washed my 40" thick hair yesterday with Tresemme naturals conditioner (w/o sillicones) and air dried it in 40 minutes.

Drying hair faster is (for me) just a matter of gently squeezing out the excess water, wrapping it in a towel for 10 minutes, then gently detangling and then "fanning" my strands until they're dry.

virgo75
January 16th, 2011, 08:03 AM
My hair is fine, and while only APL it still takes hours to dry.

It dries faster the lighter and less coating the conditioner is.
If I don't use conditioner at all my hair dries within an hour or a little over, but it ends up brittle and unhappy so I can't do that.

Like Pepperminttea I found that coney products help my hair to dry faster than non-coney. But even non-cone products can take a long time depending on how coating they are.

mira-chan
January 16th, 2011, 08:12 AM
I don't use silicones, and wrap my hair in a microfiber towel for a bit when drying. My hair takes well over 5 hours to fully dry on average, though will dry faster on a hot sunny day if I leave it down.

I always use conditioner, my hair is too dry not to and wash with herbs or SLS- free shampoo.

Anywhere
January 16th, 2011, 08:41 AM
I agree that it could be build up, but I feel my hair dried the same with or without cones. Its just that now I don't towel dry my hair, I use a tshirt and squeeze out moisture and try not to touch it after that so as to not ruin my wurlys. My friend with iii straight hair can dry her hair in 40 minutes because she can comb it and flop it around back and forth since she has no squigglies to mess up. I think it depends more on how much airflow your hair gets rather than the cones.. but thats just me.

FluffSpider
January 16th, 2011, 01:10 PM
I washed my 40" thick hair yesterday with Tresemme naturals conditioner (w/o sillicones) and air dried it in 40 minutes.

Drying hair faster is (for me) just a matter of gently squeezing out the excess water, wrapping it in a towel for 10 minutes, then gently detangling and then "fanning" my strands until they're dry.

What do you mean by 'fanning'? You take a lock of hair and swoosh it around in the air, or get an actual fan and direct a stream of air? do you section it?
(it takes my waist long thin-ish fine hair 8 hours to be almost-dry, and with a blowfryer on hot setting, it's about...30 minutes.)

rose.grace
January 16th, 2011, 01:48 PM
About 3 hours for me... if you mean completely dry. It says wet at the nape for about an hour longer than the rest. But, then I don't towel dry or anything. I let it run straight under the shower, wait a few minutes until it stops dripping profusely before getting out, then dry off the rest of me, avoiding my back and hair and yes, I walk around damp for about 3 hours... :shrug:

2vette2camaro
January 16th, 2011, 01:53 PM
My hair takes FOREVER to dry naturally completely. I once heard it your hair dries quickly it is _________________, and if it takes a long time it is_______________, but I can't remember what those were, one was healthy, one was damaged, I think?

Madora
January 16th, 2011, 02:06 PM
For FluffSpider...

Here's my "fanning" technique.

Part hair from nape to forehead. Gently detangle with widetooth comb. Start with small sections of hair and begin combing at the ends, working up to the roots.

When all hair has been detangled, section off one side and band loosely with hair friendly band.

Drying technique:

Take a small section of detangled hair.
Hold it up near your eyebrow, then release it.
Repeat with the next section of hair..and so forth and so on until it's dry.

Outside it takes me half an hour to dry.
Inside I stand about 2 feet from my portable bathroom heater and do the fanning. Takes about 45 minutes.

The thing to remember when air drying (if you don't want to wait hours for it to dry) is to keep the hair moving. Let the air get to it. It won't dry quickly sitting in a towel, hanging down your back.

I've used this fanning method for over 35 years and have had great results.

jojo
January 17th, 2011, 02:22 PM

* hijack*How did you find the tresemme natural conditioner? Ive been thinking of trying this *end of hijack*

My hair takes about 3 hours to completely dry but dries quicker with coneless conditioner.

Sanyia
January 17th, 2011, 02:54 PM
I noticed that using a light coating of coconut oil before a wash reduces drying time immensely, I am talking from 3+ hours to just about one! From what I understand, coconut oil makes the hair less waterlogged, so it does not swell up as much and it dries much faster.

Sanyia
January 17th, 2011, 02:56 PM
* hijack*How did you find the tresemme natural conditioner? Ive been thinking of trying this *end of hijack*

My hair takes about 3 hours to completely dry but dries quicker with coneless conditioner.

I bought it at a Rite Aid, but saw it at Target, too. It's a nice conditioner for the price!

Roseate
January 17th, 2011, 03:14 PM
My hair takes FOREVER to dry naturally completely. I once heard it your hair dries quickly it is _________________, and if it takes a long time it is_______________, but I can't remember what those were, one was healthy, one was damaged, I think?

If your hair dries quickly it is porous, if it dries slower it has a lower porosity.

People can have naturally porous or nonporous hair though, it's not necessarily caused by damage (though damage can increase porosity).

Open pores let moisture in faster, but also out faster; nonporous hair is harder to moisturize or get completely wet (mine sheds water like a duck), but once wet it hangs on to the moisture longer.

turquoisebud
January 17th, 2011, 03:17 PM
My hair takes about 3 hours to dry fully. I normally let it dry mostly and then braid and its dry by the morning as I wash at night. :)

Kristin
January 17th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Mine takes eons to dry. I try to shower a couple hours before bed, but it is still damp in the morning when I get up. Maybe I'll try the fanning thing.

Madora
January 17th, 2011, 03:45 PM
@jojo..The Tresemme naturals conditioner with avocado and aloe vera (silicone free) was terrific!

I was surprised how thick and rich it was and only used less than a tablespoon (did not dilute it).

Left my hair feeling great and did not coat the strands. My hair felt very, very soft and has great shine. Took less than 5 minutes to detangle. I was really pleased.

Alaia
January 17th, 2011, 03:52 PM
I tend to dry my hair overnight. I have had more than one occasion where I've washed it at about 10pm and woken up the next day at 8 or 9am and my hair still being wet. Usually when the air conditioning is on.

I would say that my hair takes 7 or 8 hours to dry fully, but I do damp bunning usually which slows the process down.

Madora I am so intrigued by this Tresemme natural stuff. I'm going to have to look for it tho it might not be available in the UK.

jojo
January 18th, 2011, 03:42 PM
I bought it at a Rite Aid, but saw it at Target, too. It's a nice conditioner for the price!

cool thanks i live in the UK but think Boots has it!