PDA

View Full Version : Battling the messy stage

heynormy
January 16th, 2011, 12:53 AM
Mini rant time.
For the new year I have given up heat styling, coloring, and cutting/trimming my hair, aka benign neglect. Now I am 15 days into this New Year's resolution, but my hair is driving me insane! The temptation to pick up my straightener is stronger than ever! I feel like my chronically messy/wavy/frizzy hair makes me look..lazy:(. My last trim was in December, but I'm still stuck with loads of splits and white dots. This is causing some stubborn velcro ends which no amount of deep oiling or conditioning can help. To top it off, my scalp has become so greasy! :wail:
I'm hoping that this is just a transitional phase to awesome hair because right now I feel like chopping it all off.
Thanks for hearing me out everyone!
End rant.

milagro
January 16th, 2011, 01:09 AM
Have my sympathy :grouphug:Transitioning period will be over soon.
Why not trying deep moisturizing treatments 2-3 times a month? Moisturized hair is much more manageable and less frizzy. And updos are great for bad (and good) hairdays. Your hair is long enough to be put up.

Avital88
January 16th, 2011, 01:09 AM
Ahh hang in there! I kinda feel the same, my hair looks quite boring and uncared for now im not straightening.
But remember what caused those split ends, i recommend s&d on a regular basis and hide your straightener for example at a friends house so you cant grab when you want.
Mine is at my boyfriends house and i told him to put it somewhere i cant find it :) I hope you will give it some more time, at least 3 months, and i'm sure the growth is kicking in then for sure and you are happy again with your hair!

heynormy
January 17th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the support!! It's just been ponytails and buns for the past couple of days, which has helped keep my mind off of my hair! :)

templeofvenus
January 18th, 2011, 01:58 AM
hair bands are always good they are my friends right now I have a massive collection some really nice ones some are very dressy, claires accessories have some lovely ones they keep crazy hair out of the way!

Siava
January 18th, 2011, 05:45 AM
Accessories, accessories, accessories. :)

Intransigentia
January 18th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Accessories, accessories, accessories. :)

This! At BSL suddenly your updo options start expanding, and updos need pretty things to hold them in place and decorate them.

Artsy
January 18th, 2011, 12:18 PM
If you are at BSL you should be successful with many wet set methods for curling. If you want straight hair, try wrapping, It might work. If you try rag curls, bun curls, pin curls etc etc every time you style your hair, you will see how fast the days go by:) Also don't forget about accent braids and all kind of braid styles.

Medievalmaniac
January 18th, 2011, 12:20 PM
oil, and updos!

missfortune9335
January 18th, 2011, 12:25 PM
At BSL you should have lots of styling options! :) Try some braids, learn some new buns, or do one of Torrin's soft sets at night for pretty curls the next day, if you have wavy hair the curls should hold really nicely. Also maybe try some of nightshade's panacea hair salve for the frizzies/ flyaways. If you rub just a tiny bit between your palms you can use it as a finishing creme that's really moisturizing for your hair too. :flower:

Anywhere
January 18th, 2011, 12:28 PM
The hair will, in time, calm down. I know I felt like going back to straightening at first but the straightening was beginning to stop working for me.
Why is your scalp oily though? Have you changed your washing technique as well?

I third the accessories and new hairstyles. :D

claireozzy
January 18th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Mini rant time.
For the new year I have given up heat styling, coloring, and cutting/trimming my hair, aka benign neglect. Now I am 15 days into this New Year's resolution, but my hair is driving me insane! The temptation to pick up my straightener is stronger than ever! I feel like my chronically messy/wavy/frizzy hair makes me look..lazy:(. My last trim was in December, but I'm still stuck with loads of splits and white dots. This is causing some stubborn velcro ends which no amount of deep oiling or conditioning can help. To top it off, my scalp has become so greasy! :wail:
I'm hoping that this is just a transitional phase to awesome hair because right now I feel like chopping it all off.
Thanks for hearing me out everyone!
End rant.

im so with you on this one, i started my new hair journey of no heat and trims on news years day also, i feel the same it is very hard getting used to all the changes, but as everyone has said im sure it will be worth it soon..:):)

AerithMoon
January 18th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Couldn't relate any more. ;'/ Every day I'm considering chopping all of the damage and dye off.. Not using heat either. Mine's too short for pretty up-do's but my ugly bun style is keeping it out of my face and out of view if I look in the mirror.

Are you not trimming for the whole year?

HairFaerie
January 18th, 2011, 02:12 PM
I have had a lot of luck with water/oil mists.
My hair is shoulder length and I get the dreaded "flippy things". I think they look hideous on me sometimes when they are too out of control. On those days, i mist my hair with a mixture of water, oil of choice and essential oils for scent. It usually tames the flippy things, makes my hair smell divine, makes it smooth and silky and creates a very polished look.
Give it a try! It's worth a shot! :)

heynormy
January 21st, 2011, 12:38 AM
Thanks for the ideas everyone!! Although, another one of my problems has to do with the thickness of my hair! I can't wait to be able to do all the pretty updos, however even though I'm at BSL certain styles don't work just yet! What I find helps me, is when I sleep on my hair! I'm not sure why, but I get good body/wave and most of the frizziness is tamed!

Anywhere Why is your scalp oily though? Have you changed your washing technique as well?
I think I touch my hair to often, which probably results with me having oily hair

AerithMoon Are you not trimming for the whole year?
Yes! I'm going to power grow so I can reach WL by the end of the year!

Tookii
January 21st, 2011, 10:00 AM
Aww, I am going through the same. Just put it up in a pretty updo and it'll take your mind off it.

spidermom
January 21st, 2011, 10:29 AM
Of course do what you feel is right for you, but when you know that you have lots of split ends and white dots, to me that is not a good time to give up trimming. Your hair will be breaking off, and you won't see much growth. At least that was my experience. I babied bad ends over about 5 months and got 3/4 of an inch in growth for that entire time. Then I had all 5 inches of bad ends trimmed off, and my hair grew about 1-1/2 inch in the 3 weeks following that.

Do you object to styling products? I thought my hair looked a lot better at your length when I'd finger some gel or styling cream through it. It got more of a sexy tousled look instead of the usually frizzy messy look. I still use product to hold down the fluff.

BrightEyes7
January 21st, 2011, 11:14 AM
I agree with spidermom. If you have splits I wouldn't recommend 'power growing' as you put it. Splits don't go away even if you stop heat styling and start babying your hair. I was in a similar boat, I had splits... wanted long hair... thought just no trimming would help. I stayed at BSL forever! Started trimming regularly, just a 1/2 inch every 6 weeks or so, and BOOM! My hair started growing and I was past waist before I knew it! Splits travel up the hair and eventually cause the hairs to break off. I kept wondering how my hair stayed the same length without cutting... I thought my hair didn't grow. But it was just breakage.

But of course it is your hair and you can do what you think is best.

heynormy
January 21st, 2011, 06:52 PM
I had my last trim in December, but after that I still noticed white dots and splits. I think nstead of trimming I'm going to S&D until a majority of the visible damage is gone! Until then, I'm going to wear lazy buns and braids! :)

LaurelSpring
January 21st, 2011, 08:37 PM
I agree with Spidermom. If you have white dots its best to start doing some mini/micro trims. The breakage from those might slow you up in the long run. There is a transitional curve when you give up the heat styling. Goodness knows I struggled with it, but I am sooooo happy that I finally kicked the heat appliance addiction. My hair is so much healthier now and it is so much easier to take care of. It is so absolutely worth it so hang in there. It does get better.

PrincessTieflin
January 21st, 2011, 09:22 PM
I have to second all the others, accessories.. toys .. new styles ect.

My hair is still shorter then BS, but I have fallen in love with my new routine, shampoo condish every other day, and mist with a mixture of sweet almond evoo coconut and some grape seed oil with a squirt of vo5 condish.. keeps it soft and stays in the updo so I can avoid the HEAT :)