PDA

View Full Version : How does hair stay healthy for women who always wear scarves?

shikara
January 15th, 2011, 11:38 PM
I would have thought that wearing scarves almost all the time (for example, for religious reasons), that hair and scalp would not stay healthy because of a few reasons. I noticed on some sites that sell these, most/many are cotton worn over perhaps a silk covering underneath and that 'under' garment has a tighter band on it that keeps it from slipping. Wouldn't this tighter band perhaps rub? Also, there would not be much air circulation which I thought was probably necessary for a healthy scalp and hair. I believe my thoughts are not correct since I think these women indeed have very healthy heads of hair. What do you know about this?

mira-chan
January 16th, 2011, 07:49 AM
I've been wearing tichels ( Cotton scarves) almost every day outside since about October. Not for any particular reason other than warmth and covering a 2 day old bunned braid that I was too tired to re-braid or heavily oiled hair.

My canopy really benefited. The scarf does not move so it doesn't rub. The wind, rain and snow outside do far worse damage to my canopy than that scarf. The tighter part of the scarf and probably the band feels tightest on the forehead, lower than the hair line and it's not that tight at all.

My scalp gets about the same circulation without the scarf as I wear my hair up all the time and nothing gets through the hair to the scalp except an "it's pouring buckets" rain. I have not worn my hair completely down more than a couple of times a year since it was long enough to tie back at 7 years old.

virgo75
January 16th, 2011, 07:56 AM
From what I understand wearing a scarf is actually more protecting for the hair rather than damaging.

It protects the hair from wind, cold, and sun which can dry hair out.

Also, the ladies that I know of that wear scarves only wear them outside the home, not inside. So the hair and scalp still get plenty of air because it's only covered for the hours that they're at school or work. The rest of the time it's out at home.

hanne jensen
January 16th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Last year from March to September I wore a scarf 12 hours a day to protect my hair grom UV rays, wind and dry air. My hair really thanked me. I'll be doing the same thing this year.

Igor
January 16th, 2011, 10:53 AM
A well-fitting covering style shouldn’t rub or slip. In fact I feel it more like my head is “held”.

It sure is addicting though: I’ve been wearing a lot of covering this winter and every time I remove them, my head is cold! :lol:

About the air circulating: Scarf fabric isn’t any different than other fabrics for clothes. It doesn’t decrease air circulation any more than a pair of pants decrease air circulation to the skin on your legs.

MandaMom2Three
January 16th, 2011, 11:25 AM
The more I cover my hair the healthier it is.

Speckla
January 16th, 2011, 11:46 AM
It would be protected from the sun, wind, and dust. Should be much healthier and need to be washed/oiled less.

phistash
January 16th, 2011, 12:41 PM
If a scarf is worn correctly, it won't rub or be too tight. And as others have noted, it keeps your hair clean, and prevents mechanical damage from the wind. You can also do a deep oil treatment and just cover it up.
I used to wear scarves every other day. I have a nice collection of them. I haven't been wearing them as much lately, but that's just a phase.

pinchbeck
January 16th, 2011, 12:46 PM
One thing I thought of is that women who wear head scarves (hijabs) don't have much opportunity for having their hair exposed to sunlight which lightens hair over time and can give lovely golden highlights.

pepperedmoth
January 16th, 2011, 04:29 PM
I would have thought that wearing scarves almost all the time (for example, for religious reasons), that hair and scalp would not stay healthy because of a few reasons. I noticed on some sites that sell these, most/many are cotton worn over perhaps a silk covering underneath and that 'under' garment has a tighter band on it that keeps it from slipping. Wouldn't this tighter band perhaps rub? Also, there would not be much air circulation which I thought was probably necessary for a healthy scalp and hair. I believe my thoughts are not correct since I think these women indeed have very healthy heads of hair. What do you know about this?

Don't know much. I can give you one point of anecdata, which is that I have a friend who covers and she has lovely hair. She wears an under-veil of t-shirtish material and then pins her hijab over that. I think it ends up being protective. Unless one wraps their hair in saran wrap I can't imagine that it'd cut off air, and am not at all sure your hair needs air anyway.

shikara
January 16th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Well I wasn't really concerned that hair might need air, but that the scalp would benefit. Although that hasn't stopped the hair under my arms from growing hehe!

Lianna
January 17th, 2011, 01:27 AM
Well I wasn't really concerned that hair might need air, but that the scalp would benefit. Although that hasn't stopped the hair under my arms from growing hehe!

I think fungus might arrive if not ventilated enough. Scarves seem fine, but can you image a wig non-stop? ;)