PDA

View Full Version : How do I choose a hair fork?

carabean
January 15th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Hi to all,

I am curious about how you choose a hair fork. As my hair grows toward waist length, I'd like to buy a few, but I don't know whether to choose 2 prongs, 3, or 4 and what length to buy. Mainly, I've perused the collections at 60th Street and Grahtoe. But any other reccomendations would be most welcome.

Thanks so much for answering:)

Juneii
January 15th, 2011, 07:57 PM
With thin, long, or slippery hair I would suggest hair forks with more prongs for a better hold. If your hair is thicker and a bit coarser fewer prongs would work better (so it won't pull).

MusingFrog
January 15th, 2011, 08:00 PM
For choosing length, put your hair up in your standard bun and measure the diameter. Then you just need to figure out how much you want sticking out on the prong side. Some people like really long prongs, I personally like ones that you can't see if looking at me from the front. You'll need an inch or so past what your bun is to make it easy for you to get in and not fall out, anything beyond that is just personal preference.

As far as the number of prongs, that is also personal preference. If you have a really big bun you can accommodate more prongs. With my hair, anything over two (unless they are really thin) overpowers my hair. But again, I like it pretty toned down.

What you do want to look at is whether the fork has a curve or not. I personally can't stand forks that don't have some sort of curve that fits my head to them. Straight forks are a no-no for me. Of course, I suppose you won't know until you try, but I'd suggest going with a curved fork first.

I have several 60th Street hair forks and like all of them. I've purchased them for my sisters as well and they had good luck also. Good quality. Don't know about the other seller. Baerris (sp?) is also good, though there stuff is a lot bigger.

ravenreed
January 15th, 2011, 08:19 PM
The biggest issue for me with forks is width between prongs. If the prongs are too close together, my hair pulls and pinches. I have a 60th Street 3 prong fork and I like it very much. I also have a few two prongs from various places and like those as well. I don't think I need more than 3 prongs.

maus
January 15th, 2011, 08:25 PM
I don't seem to get along well with anything more than three prongs, and even three prongs seems to be too much. I am in love with my two-prong ketylo - holds like magic!

carabean
January 16th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Thanks so much, friends. I am so much less confused...but now I have more places to shop!

Anywhere
January 16th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Just a note as for the size, if you plan on being able to keep using your purchases for your hair once it grows out, you might want to add a little extra length.. otherwise you'll have to buy new ones.

Toothe
January 16th, 2011, 09:06 PM
My first real hairtoy was a two-prong Ursula fork from Baerreis, and it's still my favorite. When I ordered it, I was expecting to have a learning curve and probably have to practice several times before I could achieve a stable and usable updo...but that was far from the case. I opened the package, admired it, stuck it in my bun, and there it stayed. For hours.

So speaking from my own experience, I can recommend that particular fork. The only other fork I have is another Baerreis, which is also lovely and also easy to use.