PDA

View Full Version : Trimming Vs No trimming

Yasmine91
January 15th, 2011, 07:07 PM
I always wondered if trimming your hair had an impact on hair growth. i've always been told that trimming helps hair to grow faster. But I have not trimmed nor cut since July 2010. Could my hair grow faster if I chose to?

lovinmylife
January 15th, 2011, 07:30 PM
I was actually wondering this myself. Im having an issue with shedding, so of course I do not want to cut.. however, I do know that I think you are supposed to get it trimmed to keep hair healthy so thus.. will grow faster (and the hair that is there) will be thicker, stronger etc. Versus split ends etc.

I did last week cut about 1" off myself. I have never done it before.. but honestly am too embarassed to see anyone to cut my hair b/c of how thin it has gotten :(

slipperlady
January 15th, 2011, 07:33 PM
This is slightly off topic--but I just watched the 'Octomom' on Oprah and she said she had been cutting her eyelashes for years and that is why they were so long. I wonder if it is like grass; it seems like when you start cutting it, it grows. I don't know, just random thoughts. I am also interested in the answer though, if anyone knows.

JuneBride
January 15th, 2011, 07:35 PM
I have a love/hate relationship with trimming. If I trim too much I see no progress. If I wait between trims, I see progress but if I go to long and the hair gets too damages, I have to trim a lot. Aside from all that, I have noticed that in the few weeks after a trim, I get a growth spurt and then it peaks and slows down.

boudica
January 16th, 2011, 09:58 AM
If trimming affected what happens at the hair follicle, then it might be effective. It's not true. Trimming doesn't make hair grow faster.

With that said, trimming removes damaged hair, which would otherwise keep splitting and breaking, giving the illusion that it's growing faster. If you want to keep the length, you can do a search and destroy for all your damaged ends. I find taking sections and twisting them will expose the damaged ends, and I can snip those off without losing my length. This keeps the healthy hair at length, and stops the damaged hair from breaking more.

GoldFrappe
October 9th, 2013, 08:35 PM
I only trim my hair when there are too many splits to S&D. Technically, it can make your hair "grow faster" because splits can ride up the hair shaft and make the hair look shorter or break off.

Tini'sNewHair
October 9th, 2013, 08:42 PM
No it cant and the above people explained it all. I havent had a trim in a year and a half, I do search and distroy method for now but i plan to get a trim when i hit the 2 year growth mark :)