PDA

View Full Version : Aloe vera ingredients?

monsterna
January 15th, 2011, 05:13 PM
I just bought some store brand aloe vera gel (clear) and want to know if these ingredients are okay for me to use on my hair for an SMT?

Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, water, sd alcohol 40, glycerin, carbomer, triethanolamine, methylparaben, imidazolidinyl urea.

The alcohol to me is questionable, but I don't know if I should return this and just buy something different online or what. Thanks!

mira-chan
January 15th, 2011, 05:25 PM
Unfortunately that won't work for the SMT. It will cause the conditioner to curdle, plus the alcohol is drying. The aloe gel you need is pure aloe gel or juice. It should not have anything in it other than water or a preservative.

ddiana1979
January 15th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Try a health food store or Whole Foods/Trader Joe's type place if you have one near you. They almost always have the 100% pure stuff.

monsterna
January 15th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Thanks guys. I'll take it back to the store. Any brands that you or anyone else know of and recommend?

christine1989
January 15th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Aubrey organics has one that is all natural ingredients (aloe juice, grapefruit seed oil, vitamin C and thats about it). The only downside is that its a liquid. My favorite aloe gel is by Aloe Life. It is just aloe, water and vitamin C and comes as a green/brown gel. It is easy to mix in SMT and works pretty well conditioning my hair.

mira-chan
January 15th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Thanks guys. I'll take it back to the store. Any brands that you or anyone else know of and recommend?
The brand I know is Lily of the desert. Also if you want it for the SMT you can use juice instead of the gel and aloe juice that is drinkable is sold in many pharmacies as a laxative. It is comparatively inexpensive and safe to use.

2vette2camaro
January 15th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Fruit of the Earth and Ocean Potion are 100% pure

Copasetic
January 15th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Fruit of the Earth and Ocean Potion are 100% pure

Fruit of the Earth has the added benefit of being quite cheap. You get quite a large tub of it for around $7.

Kherome
January 15th, 2011, 09:17 PM
I third (or fourth?) Fruit of the Earth. I use it in the SMT and its great.

monsterna
January 15th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Thanks everyone! I shall venture out tomorrow to find some FOTE brand!

Yosha
January 16th, 2011, 04:39 AM
My Fruit of the Earth has formaldehyde releasers in it so I'm a bit weary to use it. Front label says: Aloe Vera 100% gel, ingredients list: aloe vera gel, triethanolamine, tocopheryl acetate, carbomer, tetrasodium edta, dmdm hydantoin, diazolidinyl urea. So I guess the 100% stands just for being a gel, not 100% aloe vera.
I'm especially suspicious about the dmdm hydantoin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMDM_hydantoin) and diazolidinyl urea (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diazolidinyl_urea) in it. I'm no expert in ingredients but I did look them up. Is there anyone that can tell if these ingredients could compromise the benefits of the aloe vera?

Othala
January 16th, 2011, 04:58 AM
Why not grow some Aloe Vera plants. You can be sure of purity then. I was gifted two plants last summer and they have multiplied to 18!

Yosha
January 19th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Nice!:D Good idea, and I can make sure it's organic too then.

EmiliaF
March 7th, 2011, 12:25 PM
I just bought aloe vera gel and am now also concerned about the ingredients, so if anyone could help, I'd be very grateful.

purified water, glycerol 85%, phenoxyethanol, carbopol ETD 2020, aloe barbadensis, sodium edetate, sodium hydroxide, tagat l2, perfume oil chevrefeuille Y

Anje
March 7th, 2011, 12:36 PM
I just bought aloe vera gel and am now also concerned about the ingredients, so if anyone could help, I'd be very grateful.

purified water, glycerol 85%, phenoxyethanol, carbopol ETD 2020, aloe barbadensis, sodium edetate, sodium hydroxide, tagat l2, perfume oil chevrefeuille Y
Doesn't look good to me.... Aloe really ought to be the first ingredient in aloe gel.