PDA

View Full Version : Love/hate relationship with cones...I can't decide if I should go cone-free

Charlotte:)
January 15th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Lately my hair has been very dry and tangly with "velcro ends". So, I decided to try clarifying for the first time yesterday to get all the cones out. After washig my hair with a clarifying shampoo, I let my hair dry and couldn't believe the results! My hair was a little dry and quite flat, but it was as smooth and silky as it was when I was a child. It didn't tangle at all when I combed it! Since it was dry, I did a honey lightening treatment (because that seems to hydrate my hair better than anything else), and then sealed in the moisture with my usual coney conditioner. But when my hair dried, it felt dry and tangly again as if I hadn't even clarified it :(

So this is what I love about cones:
~They make my hair shiney
~They seal the cuticle of my hair while keeping it light (both in color and texture. Even a tiny bit of oil weighs my straight baby fine hair down)
~They make my hair fluffy, therefore giving it some much needed body (otherwise it's flat against my head)

This is what I hate about cones:
~They make my ends feel like velcro
~Although they lock moisture in, they also lock it out which makes it dry
~They make my hair very tangly

So if I were to go cone-free, is there another oil-free way I could seal the cuticle down so I would't loose any moisture? Or do you have any other advice?

Roscata
January 15th, 2011, 05:01 PM
From what I've read people who use cones do clarify every now and then, so my advice would be to use cones and when your hair feels less than wonderful, clarify. :D

AspenSong
January 15th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Can't tell you what to do - but I have superfine, easily weighed down hair and I've been SO much better off personally not using cones.
It was rough at first I think, an adjustment...but now if I put anything cone-y in my hair, I swear it feels.....*sticky* and gets tangled easier.
Also, I thought I had "no" split ends while I was using cones. I quit and found lots. Thankfully, being without them I've been able to do the S&D missions to rid myself of them and now have healthier hair, not just hair that Looks healthy. :)

The good thing is you can always experiment being cone-free and go back. :) It's nothing permanent!

x0h_bother
January 15th, 2011, 05:22 PM
From what I've read people who use cones do clarify every now and then, so my advice would be to use cones and when your hair feels less than wonderful, clarify. :D
:agree: This.
Since it sounds like you have not tried going cone free, I see no problem with trying it and then making your decision.
If you have any damage, in my opinion going with Roscata's suggestion would be helpful. I love clarifying and I also love cones.