PDA

View Full Version : When did you start going gray?

shellblue1
June 7th, 2008, 08:07 PM
I was analyzing my root regrowth and saw something shining against the rest of my hair. I pulled it out and it was a WHITE hair. :eek: Wow! I am 29. Is this normal? I looked around for more of them but couldn't really find any. About a year ago I pulled out a gray hair but haven't noticed any more of those since. How old were you when you started noticing gray (or white) hairs?

chelly
June 7th, 2008, 08:10 PM
i've found 1 grey hair when i was 17 i think it was just a little beasty rebel hair though, i'm 22 and havent seen any others. My mom went grey when she was 16 :O

rhodochrosite
June 7th, 2008, 08:29 PM
I have maybe three white hairs and I'm 29. I'm pretty sure it's really normal.

Riot Crrl
June 7th, 2008, 08:34 PM
They started coming in fast when I was 23.

Xandergrammy
June 7th, 2008, 08:49 PM
I think I was probably in my late twenties when I found my first gray hair. In my cowlick in the middle of my forehead. I plucked them out until I started dyeing my hair at the age of 40 (and I actually started coloring my hair to get a different color, NOT to cover gray)

AJoifulNoise
June 7th, 2008, 09:01 PM
I actually started a very similar thread not too long ago here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=3811&highlight=heads+hair).

Don't feel bad... I found my first couple recently and I'm 22!

shellblue1
June 7th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Oops I didn't see the other thread! Thanks!

Okay so it is normal lol. Whew! :)

AJoifulNoise
June 7th, 2008, 09:26 PM
I honestly wonder if our confusion comes from the fact that many, many people color their hair these days. I mean, I got in the rut a couple years ago. And if I had stuck with it, who knows when I would have realized I had grey/white hairs!

shellblue1
June 7th, 2008, 09:28 PM
You know what is kind of strange though? I actually liked the texture of the white hair. It was thicker. My normal hair is on the thin, fragile side, so I don't think a head full of hair the thicker texture would be so bad! (Okay I hope that a ton of whites don't start growing in now lol).

Les
June 7th, 2008, 09:34 PM
I found my first gray hair when I was in highschool. I'm 37 now and about 50/50.

AJoifulNoise
June 7th, 2008, 09:34 PM
I think mine are a bit thicker and courser than my normal hair. I'm quite taken with them!

intothemist1999
June 7th, 2008, 10:07 PM
I think I noticed my first grey when I was around 26 they didn't come in fast though. Within 10 years I had a fair number at my temples, but because I wore my hair down, you never really saw them.

Now, 20 years later, I have a few in my length, with more still gathered at my temples. Now that I wear my hair in half-ups more often, you also see those more often.

OH OH OH!! I heard the MOST amazing song on the radio today. Very age-affirming! >>off to find it online<<

Nevermore
June 7th, 2008, 11:06 PM
My grandmother was totally white haired by 32. My mother by 35 or 36. They both started graying in their late 20's, so you're not alone.

Me, I'm still a couple years away from gray, so I can't talk about myself yet.

froglet
June 7th, 2008, 11:41 PM
My best friend found my first gray hair, she said "Wow, you have a gray!" and then proceeded to yank it out.

Ouch! :lol:

I was 29.

Now at 37 I'm about 20% gray, and it's coming in slow but sure.

Cantabile
June 8th, 2008, 01:20 AM
My first white was in middle school :( I think I was 12-13? I had several by high school, and now, there are quite a few hiding out in the lower layers of my hair. Sigh, the curse of genetics. :p

kadje
June 8th, 2008, 01:25 AM
I pulled out my first white hair when I was 29, too. I'll be 53 in a week and my hair still looks mostly dark brown from the back. But it's white around my face.

kadje
June 8th, 2008, 01:29 AM
You know what is kind of strange though? I actually liked the texture of the white hair. It was thicker. My normal hair is on the thin, fragile side, so I don't think a head full of hair the thicker texture would be so bad! (Okay I hope that a ton of whites don't start growing in now lol).

I know it's not true for everyone but my hairdresser (when I used to have one) told me that the grey hair gets finer over time. I hardly ever get a coarse, thick white hair any more. The white hair I have is fine and silky now, thinner than the dark hair. I've seen women my age with coarse hair, though, so I know it's an individual thing.

Speedbump
June 8th, 2008, 05:59 AM
My boyfriend-at-the-time noticed my first five white hairs (yes he counted them) when I was 18. :lol:

suicides_eve
June 8th, 2008, 06:00 AM
i am 24 and since going virgin i see alot on the under side of my hair, dbf is also 24 and is going salt and pepper- our friend was completely gray by our senior year in high school must be something in the water around here:hmm:

FrannyG
June 8th, 2008, 06:40 AM
I began noticing a significant number of silver hairs when I was about 23. I can't actually recall when the first one came in. I was about 40 per cent silver, if not more, by the age of 30. My mother was the same.

Aelith
June 8th, 2008, 08:20 AM
I think I noticed my first white (no gray - right to white) hair about 5 - 7 years ago. Now, my roots are 50/50, and I'm 34. My mother and grandmother were both completely gray/white by 40, so looks like I've inherited those genes (my Dad didn't go gray until he was 75!).

betsala
June 8th, 2008, 08:24 AM
i don't remember when i found my first white/ gray hair, but at 28 i am developing noticable skunk stripes. from a distance they look like highlights, but they're really just white. i've decided that this is awesome. yup, totally comfortable with it. :rolleyes:

paper
June 8th, 2008, 12:31 PM
I found my first grey hairs in my late 20's. Started getting highlights in my late 30's to try to hide them, finally dyed my hair all over about 6 months ago.

Finoriel
June 8th, 2008, 01:57 PM
I found my first white hair some weeks ago and I think I can spot a few more of them mixed in on random places of my head. So late 20s for me, too. Seems to be pretty common around that time.
But says nothing about how fast it will go to have a whole head of whites, though. I´m curious about how long it will take for me to have the first white streaks, how that will look and how long it takes from streaks to white all over. Fascinating :wink:

Siava
June 8th, 2008, 03:40 PM
I was 20 when I noticed my first grays. I had about 3 or 4. Now I'm 30 and have an abundance of them on my crown. I can't wait until it all turns!

psvzum
June 8th, 2008, 03:58 PM
I noticed my first greys really coming in after my first child was born-I was 22. They seemed to all centralize to the front of my hair/bang area at first and gradually moved backwards. I began coloring my hair when I was in my late 20's-then I could get away with a semi-permanent color. I was probably in my early 30's when I began having a stylist do my color with permanent dye.