PDA

View Full Version : Are these barrettes bad for hair?

Kherome
January 15th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Is this type of barrett bad for hair? http://www.amazon.com/HALSA-HAIR-SMALL-SNAP-CLIPS/dp/B00461WI5Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=beauty&qid=1295110398&sr=8-2

I find I can secure updos with these much easier than just about any other type of holder, but I don't want to hurt my hair either.

Darkhorse1
January 15th, 2011, 09:58 AM
In my area, you can get those at the dollar store, Zellers and many other stores--the problem I found was that the cheaper ones are very snag-a-ble. I'd go with the goody/scunci line as they are coated and much gentler. I can't use these as they don't hold my hair or any styles at all.

craftybunn
January 15th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Kherome, I'm so glad you asked. I don't know the answer but I use them all the time too. I hope not. They are pretty awesome.:(

ravenreed
January 15th, 2011, 10:00 AM
The main question is how do they work for you? I have had mixed results. Some I get break hairs, some don't. I buy these from Sally's and have great luck- My favorite style of clippie. (http://www.sallybeauty.com/snap-clip/SBS-424125,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair15-1) I love the fact that they have the little comb on the bottom and I use them for holding scarves and fabric headbands. But some I have purchased have sharp edges and definitely are not friendly for my hair.

Kherome
January 15th, 2011, 10:01 AM
I buy the Goody brand as I know what you mean about the snagging! I've found if you put a drop of clear nail polish over the snaggy part and leave it dry for a day, you have a nice hard gloss over that seam that snags.

However I still would like to know if these are bad over all?

Darkhorse1
January 15th, 2011, 10:07 AM
smart about the clear nail polish! if you don't snag your hair, I can't see them being bad. The whole concept of hair items is to make sure it doesn't snag hairs and break them. So, if they work, enjoy :)

Ishje
January 15th, 2011, 10:08 AM
I think they are fine, they work better for me then bobby pins, bobby pins tend to pull out my hair more.