PDA

View Full Version : Making deep conditioning treatments out of edibles?

angelfell
January 14th, 2011, 08:16 PM
Today, while I was at WalMart buying some vitamins, I thought,"Hrrmm. Why don't I buy some stuff for my hair?" Unprepared I was, with no list, but I set out to the huge food section to scope out the possibilities. I recalled every sort of edible thing I've ever heard included (or, supposively included) in a hair conditioning product. What did I pick up? Oatmeal (dry oats), Olive Oil, an Avocado, Almond Butter, and honey. I also already had Coconut Oil at home. So, when I got there, it was time to test out my concoction!

I used about 1tbsp of Olive Oil, 2 tbsp of Coconut Oil, a handful of grounded oats (I simply rubbed them between my hands to get them to a powdery state), a quick squeeze of honey (yeah, didn't measure XD), a butter knife swipe of Almond Butter, and about 1/4 of a cup of a fresh, ripe avocado. I mashed it all up to a pasty consistency and applied to my dry hair. I was going to heat it up in the microwave but I forgot :3. It was sticky and a bit hard to distribute but nothing awful. Then, I put on my Conditioning Cap (which is foil-like and heats up my head) and waited about.. 1 1/2 hrs.

Shower time. I used shampoo on my scalp, conditioner on the length, and then conditioned the entire thing.. let it sit, and went about my shower. It rinsed out fine, it took a little more extra effort than a normal coconut oil soak. Then, I combed and awaited my dried results.

Lovely! Shiny, soft, and light.. not like, fluffy light, but it doesn't feel so weighed down like when I use coconut oil and it kind of feels heavy. It also sits nicely now that it's entirely dry. I took a picture of it, but it wasn't totally dry yet (the top half was, and the bottom half of the length wasn't), so it looks a bit odd but I was impatient XD.

http://i51.tinypic.com/jzh2tv.png

Yeah you can really tell the bottom wasn't dry yet XD but the ends look so much more tame than they normally do by then. Anyways I'm proud of myself for making something useful! Just.. make sure all the oats you put in are ground up into powder.. a few pieces of mine weren't and that's why I had to put a bit more effort into washing it out :p.

Have you ever just went to the store/ordered online to make a home concoction? Ever use all edible foods? Share!