PDA

View Full Version : How damaging do you think this technique is? *vid*

Heavenly Locks
January 14th, 2011, 05:40 PM
I have a pretty important event coming up tonight and I still haven't settled on a hair style to wear! :bigeyes:

I really think this is cute and easy, but I worry about her curl 'bunching' technique? What do you think? Safe, Not Very Safe, or No Way?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWS2kLJ7mS4

Also, do you think I could make this work for my hair length? I am at hip length now, but I am on the thin side of average thickness.

HairColoredHair
January 14th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Looks like knot-city to me. Really cute before that, though.

Madora
January 14th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Gads! Tangletown for sure! And pulling your hair? No way, Jose!

Anywhere
January 14th, 2011, 06:58 PM
I've seen this exact video before. :bigeyes:

I imagine that the pulling up would be like backcombing.
I figure if you only do it once, and use like 1 or 2 strands to hold on to when you "pull up" it wouldn't be that bad.. only a few unhappy strands out of tens of thousands. :shrug:

Lostsoule77
January 14th, 2011, 07:43 PM
I'd say between not very safe and no way, more towards no way. It will def. tangle your hair. On the other hand it looks like she only does it about 8 times on her entire head. I would never do this on a regular basis, but for one night (only if you can't find anything else) I would say it's ok. Just be prepared for all the knots later. Be VERY careful taking it out and baby your hair after. Good luck.

Una
January 14th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Hair damage is hair damage. Even if it only occurs on one night, it still may take years to grow out the damage. I think there are lots of other beautiful updos that are hair friendly.

pinchbeck
January 14th, 2011, 10:01 PM
What a beautiful look this updo is! It didn't look too damaging because the woman in the video was being gentle with her hair. As others have mentioned there will be knots to contend with afterward, but my goodness wearing this for one night would be worth it!

ravenreed
January 14th, 2011, 11:44 PM
It looks pretty gentle. Nowhere near as bad as backcombing. I would do it, but then I am not overly concerned about a little extra damage. There are times it is worth it to have an awesome do.

Khiwanean
January 15th, 2011, 02:44 AM
I looks like it would probably create tangles, but if you're gentle getting the tangles out and it's only for one night, I'd say go for it. It doesn't look nearly as damaging as backcombing or anything. I guess I'd file it as questionably safe (somewhere on the safer side of not safe). Probably something for a person with very tangle and damage-prone hair to avoid, but otherwise not too damaging.

lundmir
January 15th, 2011, 03:14 AM
I did this hairstyle for a wedding I attended, and got TANGLES. Like a million of them.
Damage wise, I didn't get any significant amount (I didn't notice any difference on my hair's condition), but I was extremely careful and took hours to detangle my hair. I used my fingers.

The hairstyle is beautiful, but I'd never do it agan.

Niphredil
January 15th, 2011, 03:29 AM
Tangles: Yes, probably.... I myself haven't found a hairstyle that doesn't leave tangles at all, each consecutive time I wear it. I can wear a 100% hairfriendly style and still get mats in my neck. To me, a chance tangling wouldn't be a reason not to try this style.

Damage: yes, probably.. but in my experience, even 100% hairfriendly styles damage some hairs, see also comment above.

If you like it enough to deal with any tangling afterwards and some coinciding damage.... then go for it. There probably are safer styles but i don't think this is as bad as backcombing at all.

madeline_
January 15th, 2011, 07:16 AM
I've done a hairstyle like this before, but I didn't compress the curls like that. I suppose it could be done without it, if you just made a tight "package" by folding your hair and pinning it in place.

You would need a hella lot of coney serum to get out the tangles without damage, though.

madeline_
January 15th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Oh wow, I've just spent the last hour checking out that girl's videos and: thanks for directing me to her, I love her! My hair is about the same length and she makes everything look so simple. Although her hair is a lot better behaved than mine, I guess I would have to do a whole lot of straightening to get most of that done.

craftybunn
January 15th, 2011, 08:47 AM
That was super cool to watch. Very pretty result. Just the idea of running my fingers up the strands gives me the heeby-jeebiez.

Calaelen
January 15th, 2011, 12:11 PM
it is gorgeous, and less damaging than just about any similar looking style you'd get done at a salon. There is no heat damage here, and not many hairs are getting pulled like that. If you're careful, I think you could do it with very little damage.

I am not so confident that you'd be able to get the same look with your hair length though. I think it would be much "bigger" with hip length hair. All I can recommend is playing around with your hair well in advance to see what alterations you'd have to do to get a similar style with your length.

LaurelSpring
January 15th, 2011, 12:17 PM
No finger back combing for me. I had to stop watching at that point.

FluffSpider
January 15th, 2011, 12:23 PM
It depends on your length: if you're not below BSL, I say go for it. If you're over BSL...don't. Up until BSL I had no problem caring for tangles.Now that I'm a candidate for waist, it's a million times harder

Anywhere
January 15th, 2011, 12:42 PM
I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't think this style is the devil. :eek:

jaine
January 15th, 2011, 12:48 PM
I think it definitely looks less damaging than a curling iron. There are varying degrees of damage...
But I also think it would be equally pretty to just pin the curls in place without bunching them.

Aredhel77
January 15th, 2011, 12:58 PM
I too thought it looked quite safe, she was handling her hair gently. The finger backcombing looked OK. You'd have some tangles to deal with for sure, but that would be expected. I'd use this hairstyle :thumbsup:, my hair's slightly curly to begin with so I probably would try just working with my natural curls and to get out the tangles I'd apply conditioner and detangle carefully. :)

Her hairstyle vidoes were great! Some excellent ideas there :D

HairFaerie
January 15th, 2011, 02:56 PM
I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't think this style is the devil. :eek:

I don't think it's the devil either! I would do it if my hair were longer. Here hair is gorgeous before she begins and I am guessing her hair is not naturally blonde either but her hair looks very healthy, shiny and beautiful!

I watched several more of her videos after that one...she is so pretty and I love her accent. Her teaching method and seeing the end result made the videos addictive! They look so simple and yet so elegant!

I say GO FOR IT! It would be worth it for a few tangles the next day!

I can't wait for my hair to be long enough to do something like these. I wouldn't do them all the time, mind you, but on very special occasions...oh yeah!

Bonkers57
January 15th, 2011, 03:13 PM
*Raises hand* Three for no devil! It looks like it'll be a lot of work to get all the tangles out, but it'd be worth it to me if I could get my hair to look like that for that one event. It's up to you.

I don't think it's the devil either! I would do it if my hair were longer. Here hair is gorgeous before she begins and I am guessing her hair is not naturally blonde either but her hair looks very healthy, shiny and beautiful!

I watched several more of her videos after that one...she is so pretty and I love her accent. Her teaching method and seeing the end result made the videos addictive! They look so simple and yet so elegant!

I say GO FOR IT! It would be worth it for a few tangles the next day!

I can't wait for my hair to be long enough to do something like these. I wouldn't do them all the time, mind you, but on very special occasions...oh yeah!

grrlshapedthing
January 15th, 2011, 03:17 PM
if your hair is hydrated and slippery this cause little to no damage. your not actually teasing you hair or crating knots after taking out my hairstyle I shook my head vigorously a few times and most of it cam out. I then combed my hair light and gently from the end up.

AspenSong
January 15th, 2011, 05:08 PM
I can't speak for anyone else...but personally, I wouldn't do it to my own hair. I know how my hair acts, etc....and I know it would tangle like nuts. Plus, the one thing I've always had in my head was being told when I took care of my hair when I was younger Not to do anything like that backsliding motion she's doing. *shrug* But to each their own.
I will say, her hairdo for Easy buns, the 60's vintage one...that one is pretty and simple and I'm considering doing it. ;)

Sammich
January 15th, 2011, 05:19 PM
I think it's a gorgeous hairstyle and worth it. I'd do it. ;) I don't think it'd damage that much as long as you detangle carefully and gently. :)

Lianna
January 16th, 2011, 05:31 AM
I know I'm late on this, I don't think is that damaging. But how about this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlUD5B1Q540&feature=bf_next&list=PL70169077D27633D6&index=29) for a future special night? :) Looks very similar (the results).

mrs_coffee
January 16th, 2011, 08:06 AM
I love it, and I'd give it a shot. I'd probably just douse my head with conditioner or detangling spray before I attempted to detangle it.

boudica
January 16th, 2011, 10:16 AM
They both look like they'd give my hair some tangle, but probably about as much as other styles I've tried. I've had great luck with detanglers. I used to brush my hair before I went into the shower and now that I have a great detangler, I wait until I condition and all my tangles just fall out.

Both of these dos look fantastic! Thanks for posting them!

lundmir
January 16th, 2011, 01:15 PM
I know I'm late on this, I don't think is that damaging. But how about this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlUD5B1Q540&feature=bf_next&list=PL70169077D27633D6&index=29) for a future special night? :) Looks very similar (the results).

I love this! Thanks for sharing, I'll do this for my next special ocassion.

LadyLongLocks
January 18th, 2011, 07:46 AM
She is really talented and I love her styles...BUT, I recently read on one of her replies that she often wears hair extensions in her tutorials to make her hair more full!I honestly had no idea she wore them as they look natural. She does use a lot of heat on her hair and now I know why her hair looks so healthy, if the extensions are damaged, just replace them :(
So this puts a new twist on viewing her videos and her styles, at least for me.
I still love her tutorials though.
In this video you are speaking of, I think it is a great technique but yes I think it can cause tangles. It wouldn't work for really long hair either because you would have long pieces to hide somehow.

podo
January 18th, 2011, 08:23 AM
That style isn't so bad... IF you don't do that curl-pull-backcombing thing. There's no need to. Her front curls are done without it (I think?) and even if they were, you can get the same results - instead of using 1 pin at the very end, use one every 6" or so (or however long you want your style to be.

I know my hair at waist, if I put those kinds of rollers in (even cold) I'd have tight spirals and could easily recreate this - with little or no damage - cold curlers, careful separation of curls, pin in sections rather than one strand at a time. :)

ETA: I have 1aFi hair, so those curlers do that to it... if your hair is thicker, or much longer maybe, it probably would give you different kinds of curls - but there's no reason you couldn't do it with other curls! With very long hair (JJJ) you might do a bun of sorts with the ends sticking out the center, then just pin them around, like the flower bun, but curled, like this... I'm not explaining that very well...

LadyLongLocks
January 18th, 2011, 01:01 PM
That style isn't so bad... IF you don't do that curl-pull-backcombing thing. There's no need to. Her front curls are done without it (I think?) and even if they were, you can get the same results - instead of using 1 pin at the very end, use one every 6" or so (or however long you want your style to be.

I know my hair at waist, if I put those kinds of rollers in (even cold) I'd have tight spirals and could easily recreate this - with little or no damage - cold curlers, careful separation of curls, pin in sections rather than one strand at a time. :)

ETA: I have 1aFi hair, so those curlers do that to it... if your hair is thicker, or much longer maybe, it probably would give you different kinds of curls - but there's no reason you couldn't do it with other curls! With very long hair (JJJ) you might do a bun of sorts with the ends sticking out the center, then just pin them around, like the flower bun, but curled, like this... I'm not explaining that very well...
I understand what you mean about the curls and pinning them. I would need to bun my hair and pin the curls to the bun. I have done that before but it is huge! I just have too much hair.
lili the dark moon puts lots of effort into her styles. I have been subscribed to her for months and watch all of her tutorials. She wrote a reply to someone saying she will explain about the extensions in an upcoming video.I am just trying to relate to using extensions vs natural hair and the difference it might make in recreating her styles. I'm sure you have to be more careful to hide everything. I give her credit for making everything look natural.:)Her hair always looks so lightweight and fine. Mine would fall like a rock:p

skyblue
January 18th, 2011, 01:45 PM
it's very pretty, but not sure if it would be worth the knots you'd have to deal with later
have you checked torrin paige's vids she has a gorgeous one she calls the swoop bun, her hair is very long and it doesn't look hard to do
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx1wl8fNvto

BrightEyes7
January 18th, 2011, 02:10 PM
I don't think it is that bad.

I have very similar hair to you, just a bit fuller and a tad straighter.

I tried a very similar style, actually it is the one for the 'angel/goddess' hair. It is by lilith as well, when I click on your link it is actually in the side bar. But it has the same exact 'bunching' as this style. I did it at waist length. I didn't have any tangles too bad I couldn't get them out. I did have some tangling though, but really isn't that kinda expected? But it didn't damage my hair. And I used a curling iron, not foam curlers.

I say go for it. It isn't an every day thing and you can pamper your hair afterwards. And maybe do a dusting afterwards if necessary!

ETA: this one is the style I did. I did it as a trial for next halloween, for a goddess... I wore it all day though! :p http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvqeYgxoWTc&feature=channel