PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastics and Hair :)

Barniie
January 14th, 2011, 05:11 PM
So, i will be doing gymnastics this year (hopefully). I used to be in a training squad for competitions and things when I was younger, but I quit. I am now older and will be doing gymnastics again this year.

Does anyone have reccomendations for how to treat my hair? I will need it out of my face (presumably in a ponytail) and when it gets longer, in a bun. Any other style ideas? Also, how can I protect my hair from the buckets of gel I will use to keep my frizzies away?:cheese:

Thanks!

- P.S.
Also, If I was in a level three training squad (Like, at level three standards, but training to compete at level three in a competition) Then what would I be in now? i know all the techniques, jumps, etc, but I just cant execute them. I am flexible in most places except my hamstrings/legs. I cant even sit up straight with straight legs! Any input appreciated.

Sweet_Decadence
January 14th, 2011, 05:39 PM
I don't do Gymnastic but I'm very much into HIIT and skipping which is also very high energy.

I find the best styles are usually braids or buns. I like a oiled bun very very high on my head for HIIT. That way it won't be constantly getting battered about as I workout and it also means I can do floor exercises without having the bulk of the bun making my head uncomfortable. same applies to skipping. I'd imagine a bun could be used for any high energy sport that doesn't require a helmet

I also quite like two braids sitting down the front if I'm in the gym, that was the bars won't brush against it so much.

ddiana1979
January 14th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Your best bet, IMO, for something that holds well but looks neat & sleek is a ballet bun. As far as styling gel, you can substitute with pure aloe gel. It works quite well. When I was doing ballet, everyone wore a matching hairnet over just the bun part (you wrap the excess around the bun & pin in place). It's quite sturdy. I also highly recommend Goody Spin Pins. Your hair type is similar to mine, and for me at least, they work super well.

Another option would be a military style sock bun. There's lots of videos on YouTube.

sally_neuf
January 14th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Exactly, ballet bun.

For doing ballet, I do a regular cinabun, with like, 1000 hairpins, and cover it in a net.
I do it very high in my head, so I can do floor exercises as well, it is very secure, I can jump and roll over the floor without it falling down.

Barniie
January 14th, 2011, 10:59 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone :)

Malibu Barbie
January 14th, 2011, 11:19 PM
When I was a gymnast I had really short hair. Most of the girls with long hair wore two buns, one on each side or two ponytails. Some wore one ponytail. When working on the beam single ponytails can get in the way. A flat low braid works well. Anything that won't get in the way when you do rolls on the beam. Hope that helps.

milagro
January 15th, 2011, 01:22 AM
I did sport dancing when very young, I guess it's about similar level of workout :) High-sitting tight buns are the best. To secure it better use long crimpy hair pins and bun nets (a small scarf of light non-slippery fabric will do as well). You could try braided buns and heidi brads as well. I could never manage to keep my wispies lay smooth wthout tons of gel and hairpins but simple headband would be ok when not performing at a contest. HTH

elliebean184
January 15th, 2011, 09:16 AM
I found that the standard bun pulled really hard and damaged the top hairs. Switching to french braids every other day or so made it much easier to relieve the tension.

Quixii
January 15th, 2011, 09:21 AM
I wear a sock bun for gymnastics. Seems counter-productive because it's supposed to make the bun bigger, but I find it's squishy and far easier to roll on than buns I have tried in the past.
I stopped wearing my hair in a ponytail when I kept putting my hands on it in a handstand.
I stopped wearing my hair in a braid when it whipped me in the eye doing a back-handspring.

Barniie
January 15th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Awesome, thanks guys. Does anyone have any help for the 'what level should i be in' question? i think I was about a level three (Australian standards - i dont know if there is a difference) but now i am starting up again.
According to my age, i should be in level 5-6, but i'm not that good! Do I stick to my age group and have no clue what I'm doing, or go back to about level 2 where I will be with all the littlies :S

Quixii
January 15th, 2011, 08:33 PM
I don't know the difference between Australian system and the US, but..
I'd think it would be far better to be with your skill level. I'm in level 6. I'm kind of six years too old for it (the other girl on my team is 10). But if my coach just put me in the level I should be at with my age, I would die. I couldn't do the moves.
If you can't sit down with your legs straight, I'd say that would definitely prevent you from being in the higher levels. You need strength and flexibility.
Maybe since you're older, you'll develop the skills faster and move up to your age-range faster. Or maybe you'll be like me and just be stuck with all your team being 4+ years younger and 1+ feet shorter.

boudica
January 15th, 2011, 10:20 PM
This is just an aesthetic preference, but when I was competing, I got frustrated with a bun interrupting my line and did a top-leaning french twist and it looked more streamlined.

In terms of stretching, if you inhald on a count of five and tense the muscles you want to release during the inhald just slightly - you're telling the nerves to activate, not actually tense the muscles.

When you exhale, relax the muscles bigger than the tensing that you did and exhale with more of a sigh/heave.

Do this cycle twenty times. The idea is that you're inhaling small and exhaling big / tensing small and relaxing big.

Hope this is helpful.

Barniie
January 15th, 2011, 11:18 PM
Thanks guys!

p3_Arme
January 20th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Although I don't do Gymnastics, I am a fan of Torrinpaige, who's just done a video (see link) of a Vortex bun, I love it and it's very, very secure, and flat to the head, you'll see who inspired her and her videos of a three and four strand braid.

http://www.youtube.com/user/torrinpaige#p/u