PDA

View Full Version : Perfect length?

Wheatland
January 14th, 2011, 03:13 PM
My perfect length would be long so that I can put it in beautiful up-dos but not so long that I can't wear it down at least 70% of the time.

I'm trying to decide how long I really want to grow my hair. I would like to have a firm set goal because I think I'll be more likely to stick with it.

So fellow LHCers, at what length did you find you could wear your hair down without much trouble but still obtain gorgeous up-dos?

beez1717
January 14th, 2011, 03:39 PM
I want strong neck muscles so i can support ankle length hair with it being down most of the time. I think that wold make me look quite sexy and cool looking in my humble opinion.

jojo
January 14th, 2011, 03:40 PM
I like the length i am now but although buns are easier, keeping it down all the time is becoming a pain as it gets everywhere. I liked BSL for being able to keep it down and getting some good buns going. A lot depends on how thick your hair is too!

Superfine
January 14th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Hi Wheatland and fellow Texan - I am way older than you but we have a similar hair type. I have had BSL length hair 2 times in my life (once in the 70s and now). BSL seems great for up-dos & not a pain for washing, etc. fine hair. That said - I' leaning toward longer because I enjoy the feel of the hair so much. However, I realize that, for me at least, the longer it gets, the more care it will need. You will find your favorite length!

Deborah
January 14th, 2011, 04:03 PM
To meet your criteria I think BSL hair would be just about right. I wore mine up or down quite easily at that length. Mine is TB length now, and I wear it up almost all the time. It's a pain when left down.

Wheatland
January 14th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I think I will aim for BSL and then if I want it longer then I will just continue to grow it. I have a feeling I will want it a bit longer. Maybe somewhere between BSl and waist?

angelfell
January 14th, 2011, 05:00 PM
I really want waist-length hair so bad, but I have a desk job which means, unless I want it sticking to the back of the chair all day, I'll have to put it up for work. Beh.

MaryLA
January 14th, 2011, 05:05 PM
My goal length is waist. I've never had my hair that long and I think it will look nice. I'm looking forward to all the buns and braids that I will be able to do with waist length hair. But I'll have to wait a long time to reach that goal because my hair is at collar bone length now.

Wheatland
January 14th, 2011, 06:00 PM
I really want waist-length hair so bad, but I have a desk job which means, unless I want it sticking to the back of the chair all day, I'll have to put it up for work. Beh.
Yes, situations like that are what I'm trying to avoid. Hmph.

Wheatland
January 14th, 2011, 06:01 PM
My goal length is waist. I've never had my hair that long and I think it will look nice. I'm looking forward to all the buns and braids that I will be able to do with waist length hair. But I'll have to wait a long time to reach that goal because my hair is at collar bone length now.
You think you have long to wait? My hair is 4" long. Teehee.

Stormcast
January 14th, 2011, 06:06 PM
My perfect length would be waist+ in the back, with framing bangs that look cool when you do up-dos

lingxi
January 14th, 2011, 06:07 PM
my perfect length is just past the curve of my waist :)

IcarusBride
January 14th, 2011, 06:26 PM
I also think BSL will be a good goal for you. You can always ammend your goal when you get to BSL.

ETA- My 'perfect length' (goal length) is mid-thigh.

Wheatland
January 14th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Seems like a lot of people like waist. And I agree about BSL. That is my new goal!

McFearless
January 14th, 2011, 06:57 PM
My goal length is hip. I just love how it looks.

jojo
January 14th, 2011, 07:01 PM
If its any help my hair was a cropped, bob pixie kinda hair cut in 2005 and is now the length in my siggi, I have trimmed along the way and although it seems such a long time ago, it does go quick. My tip would be keep it moisturised, splits and breakage are caused by drying of hair and keep it up and forget it!

BSL is a lovely length but i bet you will want more when you get there! I wanted waist originally and then joined here and now want classic length, but who knows I may go for terminal!

Good luck!

Wheatland
January 14th, 2011, 07:04 PM
If its any help my hair was a cropped, bob pixie kinda hair cut in 2005 and is now the length in my siggi, I have trimmed along the way and although it seems such a long time ago, it does go quick. My tip would be keep it moisturised, splits and breakage are caused by drying of hair and keep it up and forget it!

BSL is a lovely length but i bet you will want more when you get there! I wanted waist originally and then joined here and now want classic length, but who knows I may go for terminal!

Good luck!
Yay, that's inspiring! I think I will want longer than BSL as well. I love the way waist looks.

MandyBeth
January 14th, 2011, 07:20 PM
For me, gym work makes past waist or hip impossible, as I can't bun for work outs. So since mid back is when I can likely to get my hair up, it'll be between BSL and hip. Unless I go batty and crop it again.

GoldFrappe
October 9th, 2013, 09:03 PM
I would love hip length hair!

Agnes Hannah
October 12th, 2013, 10:17 AM
I would love hip length hair!

Me too! Won't be disappointed to hit waist tho'

goldenlady
October 12th, 2013, 10:40 AM
I'm waiting on the day I have hip length hair! All one length - which will take me ages due to stupid layers and half-grown out fringe.

martyna_22
October 12th, 2013, 11:42 AM
When I was at chin, my ultimate goal was BSL. It obviously changed. I'm about an inch from waist and I love the way TBL hair looks.. but I don't know if I'd manage that much hair. I really enjoy my almost-waist, though.

woolyleprechaun
October 12th, 2013, 11:58 AM
Well, from my personal experience I've found that waist is a very good all rounder. It may be a little too long to wear down often, but for me it's when the updo fun starts :)
I liked BSL for wearing down, but I could do next to no updos. To be honest, I'm aiming for much longer lengths but I seem to trim back to waist an awful lot. I'm hoping that when the damaged bits are gone I'll be fine to push on to hip. So< for you I'd probably recommend BSL (I'm one of those that doesn't wear it down).

DweamGoiL
October 12th, 2013, 12:30 PM
I like where I am now, mid-back length (about 4 inches shy from waist). One length is nice when your hair is not too thick. I like my layers now because it adds movement to the length, but it does make updos messy....so the jury is still out on the layering.

raej
October 14th, 2013, 08:28 PM
I think my perfect length would be between mid-back and waist. I am so close to waist, but my ends are so thin it doesn't even register! I know I should trim, but it's so hard! :rolleyes:

I've heard that starting with small goals can help speed up the process! When you reach your goals, celebrate!

Naiadryade
October 14th, 2013, 09:29 PM
I'm amused by all the people in this thread who seemingly didn't read the original post, they just read the subject line and assumed they were supposed to post their personal goal length. :lol:

I think this depends on how willing you are to be extra careful with your hair when it is down--making sure it stays in front of your shoulders when sitting in chairs, keeping it out of the way of seatbelts and bag straps, etc. If you're not willing to be too careful, BSL is probably your sweet spot. But if you are willing, you can definitely go longer to get more updo possiblities. I'm almost at waist, and since I don't mind being careful with my hair when it's down (I'm obsessive and part of my attention is almost always on my hair anyway), I don't find it inconvenient at all to have it down a lot of the time. I expect this to be true at least until hip length (32" on me), if not longer.

Granger Mane
October 14th, 2013, 09:29 PM
I'd love my hair to be back at waist (longest I could grow to due to improper care). Since I'm between shoulder and ap right now, it's gonna take while to get it. Hopefully, with better treatment this time around, I can get it to hip :)

Ambystoma
October 14th, 2013, 09:43 PM
I think you might be happiest somewhere between BSL and waist - you can start doing lots of updo's at BSL, and you don't have to pay much attention to it when it's down until just above waist I found. MBL was my personal best "wear it down, don't notice it" length, it started getting into stuff and becoming a bit of an event on a windy day somewhere around waist.

Islandgrrl
October 14th, 2013, 09:52 PM
I think that waist or maybe a little beyond was a nice length to wear my hair down some of the time, but BSL was awesome for wearing down most of the time. Updos have been fun since I hit APL. I just can't do the same updos now that I did then. Doesn't make it less fun, just different fun.

I'm at mid-thigh right now, and it's perfect for wearing down NONE of the time. I always think I might like to, but the reality is that hair this long (for me, anyway) is insanely difficult to manage loose. It gets into everything from armpits to seatbelts and gets tangled around my arms and under my purse strap and it's generally a pain in the assets. So it's never down.

Bagginslover
October 15th, 2013, 04:50 AM
I'm amused by all the people in this thread who seemingly didn't read the original post, they just read the subject line and assumed they were supposed to post their personal goal length. :lol:
I think this depends on how willing you are to be extra careful with your hair when it is down--making sure it stays in front of your shoulders when sitting in chairs, keeping it out of the way of seatbelts and bag straps, etc. If you're not willing to be too careful, BSL is probably your sweet spot. But if you are willing, you can definitely go longer to get more updo possiblities. I'm almost at waist, and since I don't mind being careful with my hair when it's down (I'm obsessive and part of my attention is almost always on my hair anyway), I don't find it inconvenient at all to have it down a lot of the time. I expect this to be true at least until hip length (32" on me), if not longer.

I'm amused by all the people who both did and didn't read the opening post, but didn't look at the date ;)

Naiadryade
October 15th, 2013, 10:05 AM
I'm amused by all the people who both did and didn't read the opening post, but didn't look at the date ;)

:oops: How embarrassing! Seems the person who bumped the thread amuses both of us... how odd, I wonder how they found it. Trying to rack up post tally I guess?

Almendra
October 15th, 2013, 10:16 AM
I think the perfect length should be confortable but also can be called "long". For most of people is between BSL and waist (It depends of the thickness). Although, my goal is TBL.

nobeltonya
October 15th, 2013, 10:51 AM
I'm backward in that I always wore it up from shoulder until about waist.. after waist or so I still wear it down most of the time. Currently at BCL working back to Classic and on to fingertips. I've grown more aware of it and am used to wearing it down. It pulls my scalp too much to wear it up a lot. :disco:

Jasperine
October 15th, 2013, 12:15 PM
For me it's waist length, I hope, cos that's my goal length :) Had my hair at bsl for a while which has worked very well tho. Love wearing it down and at that length I've been able to do my fav braids :)