PDA

View Full Version : Hayfever = Itchy Scalp

hurricane_gia
June 7th, 2008, 06:07 PM
I have year-round Hayfever, and I have noticed that I am frequently itchy all over. Sometimes my scalp is so itchy, I have to scratch . . . and then I find "shed" hairs in my fingernails.

Are these hairs that would shed anyway, or am I ripping it out of my scalp by scratching? It's only one or two a day, but still, I don't want to do anything damaging to my hair.

Xandergrammy
June 7th, 2008, 08:18 PM
I have a similar problem. I also have year round allergies that make me itchy all over and I also have a panic disorder. One of my self soothing behaviors is to pick at a certain spot on my scalp. To tell you the truth, I'm amazed that I still have hair growing in this spot, because I've been picking at it for at least 25 years. :oops: Since finding TLHC, I'm really trying to stop picking. I keep my fingernails short which really helps alot.

P.S. I just realized that I didn't really answer your question. My thought is that I was damaging good hair (and sensitive scalp) which is why I decided to keep my nails short.

lady G
June 8th, 2008, 05:12 AM
I have year-round Hayfever, and I have noticed that I am frequently itchy all over. Sometimes my scalp is so itchy, I have to scratch . . . and then I find "shed" hairs in my fingernails.

Are these hairs that would shed anyway, or am I ripping it out of my scalp by scratching? It's only one or two a day, but still, I don't want to do anything damaging to my hair.

I suffer from hayfever and odd itchy rashes etc in summer and I take piriton antihistamine tablets during the summer months and find they work really well for the hayfever and the itchy rashes etc they do have a downside of making you feel drowsy when you first start taking them but you soon get used to it.

Xandergrammy
June 8th, 2008, 07:49 AM
I suffer from hayfever and odd itchy rashes etc in summer and I take piriton antihistamine tablets during the summer months and find they work really well for the hayfever and the itchy rashes etc they do have a downside of making you feel drowsy when you first start taking them but you soon get used to it.

I'm wondering if piriton is only available in the uk or if there is another name for it that's used in the us. I'm going to go investigate!!!

ETA: The name brand is Chlortrimeton in the US. Thanks for the advice. I used to take this many years ago and stopped because it stopped working. I think I'll give it another try!

Mitzy
June 8th, 2008, 08:11 AM
I have really horrible "hay"fever and allergies here. AFTER I moved to Australia, I had allergy tests run and I am allergic to dust, mold (which I knew) and bottlebrush and grevillia (Oz is crawling with both and they are opportunistic bloomers, blooming sometimes three and four times a year with the dry/wet cycles here on the edge of the desert). I mostly take sudafed and benadryl.
I have been blaming my itching on dimeticone and cyclemeticone allergies, but some of it could be seasonal allergies. Very interesting.
I can't wait to move back to Oregon, sigh!

Xandergrammy
June 8th, 2008, 08:23 AM
I have really horrible "hay"fever and allergies here. AFTER I moved to Australia, I had allergy tests run and I am allergic to dust, mold (which I knew) and bottlebrush and grevillia (Oz is crawling with both and they are opportunistic bloomers, blooming sometimes three and four times a year with the dry/wet cycles here on the edge of the desert). I mostly take sudafed and benadryl.
I have been blaming my itching on dimeticone and cyclemeticone allergies, but some of it could be seasonal allergies. Very interesting.

Mitzy, that sounds awful. I take sudafed and benadryl too. It seems to work the best for me and is the least expensive.

lady G
June 9th, 2008, 02:44 AM
I'm wondering if piriton is only available in the uk or if there is another name for it that's used in the us. I'm going to go investigate!!!

ETA: The name brand is Chlortrimeton in the US. Thanks for the advice. I used to take this many years ago and stopped because it stopped working. I think I'll give it another try!

Piriton is the brand name, the chemical name is chlorphenamine maleate it is made by glaxosmithkline consumer healthcare and is sold in any chemist in the uk you do not need a prescription. Ask a pharmacist they should be able to advise you on how to get hold of it.

xx

Curlsgirl
June 9th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Add me add me! I have awful allergies all year round but mostly in the warmer months too. I take Benedryl. Too bad the only things that help also have a drowsy effect. I used to take the chlortrimeton but it stopped working very well for me too. Benedryl is the only thing I have found.

About the shed hairs if it is only one or 2 a day, yes I think it would have come out anyway, I wouldn't worry. For the itching you could try scritching. I love my HH horn comb for that. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

doodlesmart
June 9th, 2008, 10:50 AM

Nooooo!:nono: This is my first spring in Oregon and I'm about dying from my allergies here. My lawn desperately needs to be mowed, but I'm afraid to go do it because I've just now reached a point where my eyes don't feel like they are swelling shut.

Xandergrammy
June 9th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Piriton is the brand name, the chemical name is chlorphenamine maleate it is made by glaxosmithkline consumer healthcare and is sold in any chemist in the uk you do not need a prescription. Ask a pharmacist they should be able to advise you on how to get hold of it.

xx

Yes, thank you. The brand name in the US is Chlortrimeton and it is available as the generic also, so I can probably get it pretty inexpensively.