PDA

View Full Version : Why the long hair?

Pages : [1] 2

jamisonlcloud
March 12th, 2008, 08:58 AM
I wanted to know, what made you all want to grow long hair?

Hypnotica
March 12th, 2008, 09:04 AM

- To save money (that now is spend on hair tous)
- To be able to do nice updos!
- Frankly, I'm not a person adhearing to fashion. What is in is usually out with me.

Xandergrammy
March 12th, 2008, 09:09 AM
I think long hair is very beautiful.

ycelong
March 12th, 2008, 09:16 AM
i just love it and have wanted my hair long since I got it cut off when I was 6 yrs old. So I haven't had it short since I was 17 yrs old but I haven't gotten past BSL length either. So that is my goal for now.
It is pretty and different. I think it is uber feminine and womanly.

Shield31
March 12th, 2008, 09:17 AM
My long hair is one of the most important visual statements I can make about myself

I also think long hair is beautiful. :)

UrbanEast
March 12th, 2008, 09:20 AM
I really like the ultra-feminine look of long hair. I love to swing it around, run my fingers through it, etc. And now that I've found LHC, I love finding ways to put it up.

2BThinAgain
March 12th, 2008, 09:21 AM
As a woman, It makes me feel better about myself and it is so sexy.
I havent had bsl hair since I was 7 and have tried and tried to grow it out for years !!! Now I wont give up no matter what !!!

Deb

Feisty Redhead
March 12th, 2008, 09:26 AM
I just plain like it. My hair was always long as a kid, I cut it short when I was 14, let it get long again, cut it short and repeated that for a while and now just happens to be a letting it grow again stage for me though this time around I think I will keep it long... at least, for a longer period of time than I used to keep it long before cutting again. I prefer long hair over short because it doesn't require as much work to get it to look good in the mornings, you can do SO much more with it (buns, braids, twists, all sorts of pretty up-dos that you just can't do with short hair!) and I just like the way I feel with long hair. I feel much more feminine and sexy and I like the way my hair feels when it brushes against my back and arms when I let it down... again, I just plain like it! No, LOVE it is a better word. :D

doodlesmart
March 12th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Partially because I think it's beautiful and partially because it's different and partially because it's just kind of a part of me.

Neon Gloss
March 12th, 2008, 09:30 AM
I've had short hair for 9+ years.

I hate the way short and curly hair looks on me, but I love long and curly hair. To fix this issue, I straighten my hair--everyday. I've really cut down on straightening it, but my hair always ends up in a ponytail unless it's straight!

Long hair would give me more confidence. =]

Mahars
March 12th, 2008, 09:31 AM
I want long hair because it suits me best. Every time I cut it off I look much worse. For some reason, I'm just a long hair kinda person. Next time I get that urge to cut I'm going to try harder to resist.

Anje
It makes me feel feminine and more like "me". It's also easier to maintain, because I'm WAY too lazy and cheap to go to the salon constantly for haircuts.

Awalia
Because long hair flatters my face and body, and i think i look good with it. And i love the looks i get with long hair ;) Long hair is in fashion!

homeschoolmama
March 12th, 2008, 09:38 AM
I like it better than short hair, plain & simple. Though a small part of me is convinced that this is rebellion after being forced to wear ULTRA short hair for 10 years as a child as well... I'm not likely to admit that outside of a long-hair group though. ;)
love,
mom

Les
March 12th, 2008, 09:38 AM
In part it started out because I was lazy and frustrated. When I had short hair I could NEVER get it to do what I wanted and always seemed to be sticking out in weird, uncontrolled ways. When I finally hit ponytail length it was a great relief - I can finally control my hair (when I want to). It is so easy to get up, tie it back or put it up and go - no need for complicated styling or weird products to make it take on a certain shape. Now I just can't picture myself with short hair. I also love the way that long hair looks. I figure what better way to promote & support long hair than to wear it myself too.

AJoifulNoise
March 12th, 2008, 09:40 AM
a- I look bad in short hair. *shudder* Just bad.

b- I stopped cutting my hair for faith reasons. And when you stop cutting your hair, it gets long! :)

c- My mental image of myself has always had long hair. It was always strange to look in the mirror and see my short haired reality.

haircharmer
March 12th, 2008, 09:42 AM
I love having long hair because it makes me feel more secure and confident. I also love the way it looks and the feel of it brushing against my body. The great part about growing to new longer lengths is that you notice certain funny milestones along the way. I liked it when mine started to reach midback I had never felt it on the back of my arms before.

wolf girl
March 12th, 2008, 09:44 AM
I like the way my hair feels on my back. Also, I think most women look better with long hair. It's really femine and soft. The occasional "I love your hair" compliment doesn't hurt either.;)

spidermom
March 12th, 2008, 09:44 AM
All my life while I was getting haircuts and perms, long hair would turn my head for a better look. I always really loved it and planned to someday grow my hair long. I didn't develop the necessary patience until my mid-40s, and now my hair is at hip length and still on the grow.

Hurray4Henna
March 12th, 2008, 09:49 AM
There is something about long hair that makes me feel secure, happy and sexy.
I love that I can create multiple styles without excess heat damage.
I really enjoy the way my curls form when my hair is longer.

Oh...and long hair is BEAUTIFUL to me :)

Lasiren
March 12th, 2008, 09:49 AM
I've just always really liked it, ever since I was a little girl. It seemed like the kind of hair a princess would have. These days, I'm very into Gothic Lolita fashion, and having longer hair works well with that, too....but long hair isn't really a fashion statement for me. I've just always wanted it.

lyneya
March 12th, 2008, 09:53 AM
#1) To see how long I can put up with it before chopping. :)
#2) Because I'm lazy and on a budget and so it's getting long as a result.
#3) Cuz it's pretty. :)
#4) Historical Reenactment looks better with real hair.

ilovelonghair
March 12th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Long hair is my identity, I would not be myself with short hair. I have tried it, but it feels like I'm someone else. I wanted to have long hair since I was 4 or maybe even earlier, but my mother wouldn't allow it because she thought my hair was not nice enough to be long. She thought it was thin, but it is quite normal for little kids to have thin hair, it's still a kind of baby hair.
I grew it when i was 6, finally allowed to do so, but my mother would always cut it when it was finally classic lenght, how annoying! I wanted to know how far it could grow.

And other good reasons: it looks nice and you can have a different style every day

k_hepburn
March 12th, 2008, 09:58 AM
It's strange, but I've always wanted to have long hair (and have been a longhair for the best part of my life). I had moderately long hair in kindergarten, then had it chopped off against my will when I started primary school. My parents thought the long hair didn't look "neat" enough. So for the next years I was stuck with a chin length bob that I hated, and to make matters worse, to save on money, my father would do the regular trimming of my fringe - not always straight, and always way too short... As soon as I was old enough to have a say in my appearance I started growing my hair out again. And grew and grew. Until I reached hip length. It's been differing degrees of long hair every since.

katharine

Haldir
March 12th, 2008, 10:04 AM
I've always loved having long hair, since I was a toddler... and I've always had a fascination with princesses and especially dancers -not ballet dancers- with long hair, the way their hair swirled while they danced (yeah I was a strange child). And since I was a toddler, I was already immersed into Medieval things and I was already reading non-fiction books and admiring the drawings of the ladies with the beautiful and long hair.
Never really got around to growing my hair long (my mother didn't like me having long hair and I just obeyed her) until a few years ago when I watched the film adaptations of the LotR, fell in love with Arwen's hair and wanted it to be just like hers. Course I cut it and lost interest until last year when I started growing it out all over again :)
Plus, you can do SO much more with long hair...

BlndeInDisguise
March 12th, 2008, 10:21 AM
For religious reasons (I Corinthians 11:15).

Islandgrrl
March 12th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Long hair just makes me feel more like myself, somehow. I love the look of it, the feel of it. I think that having long hair is definitely a statement.

Silver & Gold
March 12th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Hmmmm. Now you got me thinking and wondering the answer to this myself.

savi
March 12th, 2008, 10:31 AM
I remember being eleven when I decided that I wanted long hair. I just realised that I really liked it and decided to grow it. That simple really. Even now I have long hair mostly because I really really like it. And I've become rather attached to it. Even if I cut it short out of my own will I would most likely cry my eyes out for couple of days, if that makes sense to anyone. :rolleyes: It's just a part of who I am.

Cricket
March 12th, 2008, 10:36 AM
I loved my low maintenance short hair cut. On the negative side, I have really fine hair that I can't do anything with at short lengths. I had to let it lie flat, and looked the same all of the time.

With long hair, I can actually do things with it, and twist it around hair toys and create styles that will accentuate my face better.. and I don't have to wear the same hair style day after day.

Cichelle
March 12th, 2008, 10:52 AM
I like it. It suits me. Long hair is spiritual to me, too. That's about all.

egg99
March 12th, 2008, 11:04 AM
I didn't conciously grow mine. It just seemed to happen on its own and I never bothered to get it cut! But I wouldn't like to go back now, I like long hair on me :)

lora410
March 12th, 2008, 11:38 AM
I always thought long hair was sexy and feminine.

Sanela
March 12th, 2008, 11:49 AM
I've had my hair long since always...
I mean...I was born with very few :D but then it started growing and my mother liked it long.. so I just can not imagine myself with short hair.
Also I would feel weak and hmm let's say without dignity if it wasn't for my hair...my head would be much lighter if I cut my hair I guess hehehe.

Delenn
March 12th, 2008, 11:53 AM
I like my hair long, I like that I can do lots of things to it when it's long. And now that I've discovered henna I love my long hair even more. With my natural color I always ended up cutting it after a while because the color got so drabby because chemicals were so harsh to it. Now with henna I can have pretty, long, healthy hair. =)

AmandaPanda
March 12th, 2008, 11:58 AM
There are so many ways to style it....long hair is beautiful....I like the way it feels on my back, blowing in a light wind or swinging when I walk.... I dislike my hair short. Having long hair makes me feel like myself :)

squiggyflop
March 12th, 2008, 12:01 PM
i like how i look with longer hair... so i decided to see if i will look even better with even longer hair....
ive only gotten on professional haircut since i was 12 because im pretty good at razer cutting my own hair....honestly i think its rather easy to cut ones own hair... i dont see why people go to salons except to feel pampered...and everyone likes to feel pampered sometimes.

Patchouli
March 12th, 2008, 12:02 PM
I like to be different! I think long hair is beautiful and so does my hubby. It seems natural... :)

SHADOWSCODE46
March 12th, 2008, 01:06 PM
I never had intentions of growing my hair to a certain length. My hair has always been considered 'long' and I was just more focused on it getting healthy. I secretly desire a boy short haircut (think Sinead O'Conner & Samantha Morton), but since conditioner washing is growing my hair like crazy, I just let it get longer.

I would be lying if I said it hasn't become a security blanket in and of itself. I am overweight and although I developed a positive body image, it sort of shelters me a bit. Sort of makes up for & hides the 'flaws'.

I am also realizing, as it gets longer, it is sooo much easier to style. I find it to be low maintenance. You can get away with slacking off on grooming or fussing with it. A simple bun and stick always looks good and polished.

I enjoy watching my hair transform in length and health like I enjoyed watching those 80's 'grow toys' that you kept in warm water overnight to have it 10 times it's size in the morning.

I am also interested in it's full length potential, although hopefully it would be at least tail bone since that is the length I ideally will be maintaining it at.

rhubarbarin
March 12th, 2008, 01:28 PM
I had longer hair as a kid and then wore it very short for a few years.. when I met my BF he made it clear that he wanted me to grow my hair out. I wanted it long but I was thinking of 'long' as in bra band or waist length. Then I started looking around on the internet, and after seeing so many people with super-long hair, I started to want it for myself.

I really like the way it looks, but it's also just a fun hobby. It's unusual these days, styling longer hair is fun and I enjoy trying new things and trying to make my hair look the best it can.

GlassEyes
March 12th, 2008, 01:28 PM
I originally grew it out to straighten it.

However, now I really just want my hair long because I think it'd look awesome, and I also look pretty bad without long hair. e-e;;

Stagecoach
March 12th, 2008, 02:39 PM
I always wanted super long hair since I was a child. And the longer it gets, the longer I want it to grow!

Xan
March 12th, 2008, 02:47 PM
I have always loved long hair and the longer it gets the longer I want it.

RustedAngel
March 12th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Long hair is more metal!

Also, I have fairly strong features.....long hair helps to reduce the impact of my big nose.

Also, I like to be different, buck society's expectations. "long hair guy" is kinda part of my self image now.

mathilde
March 12th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Because it looks fabulous. :)

Meli
March 12th, 2008, 03:33 PM
I don't remember how old I was when I decided to grow my hair long but I was still young enough to want hair like a princess in a fairy tale... And in my early teens I saw Star Wars and wanted "princess Leia-length". The longer my hair grew, the more I fell in love with it as well as the feeling of long hair against my back, and I found I really like having long hair.

Now as an adult I'm not really thinking "fairy tale princess length" anymore, but I have developed a great interest in the medieval ages. I visit medieval fairs sometimes, dressed up in medieval gowns. And long hair is a lot more authentic than short hair, IMO. This medieval interest is one of the reasons for my decision to grow to terminal length, and also why I love to have fairy tale ends.

nappywomyn
March 12th, 2008, 03:34 PM

Because my mental image of me has huge hair.

Because I LOVE updo's and they fit with my personal style.

Because it's sexy.

Because I want to see if I can.

Anlbe
March 12th, 2008, 04:58 PM
I always thought long hair looked lovely as a child and always wanted to grow my hair as long as I could (sadly it's never reached past mid back). My four year old niece is just the same she already wants her hair long. Unfortunately she'll have to wait until she's thirteen or fourteen just like my sister and I did.

ReadingRenee
March 12th, 2008, 05:25 PM
hmmm... When I was younger I had long hair because my mom WOULD NOT let me get it cut.

When I was 18 I hacked it off after my first break up.

Since then every man Ive been with has loved short hair and doesnt' want me to grow my hair long. Except for my dh who loves my hair and loves long hair (has long hair himself) and is my biggest supporter.

I am growing my hair for ME. Its a good test of patience for me. I have always been an emotional chopper and not cutting it is now somewhat of a personal strength thing with me.

Also, I think I have pretty nice hair. :) (well not by society's standards since its wavy and not straightened within an inch of its life )Especially since i started taking care of it the LHC way and the longer it gets, the better it looks.

I also think long hair feels and looks beautiful. I love feeling it on my back now and being able to do so many more updos the longer it gets. It also just feels more natural and sensual to me.

I don't know, its a complex issue I guess. :D

ImperfectBrat
March 12th, 2008, 05:34 PM
I think long hair is attractive.

I've done shaved, colored, permed and everything else you can think of. I think I have it out of my system now and just want longgggg healthy hair.

Crinita
March 12th, 2008, 06:15 PM
I prefer long hair. On me, on you, on everyone pretty much so long as it is cared for.

Pax,
Crinita

Messyhair
March 12th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Long hair is just so beautiful and natural. For me, it requires so much less effort than short hair in order to look good. And it's so feminine and sexy. Gotta have it!

jojo
March 12th, 2008, 06:30 PM
I love long hair as its what makes me, me. I think its flattening on anybody and plus i look like Gonzo from the muppet show with short hair!

Alaia
March 12th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Because I got jealous of all the other women with long hair :p

No, really, because I have always liked it on me and I have always wanted to grow it and now that my mother can't remotely influence me into short hair I am doing so.

I love the feel of it down my back.

I love the way it moves, and all the things I can do with it.

I love the fact that normally I am one of the few and not one of the many.

Shadow Walker
March 12th, 2008, 06:47 PM
My long hair just sort of came about during a bout with depression and I didn't really notice it had grown, and when my world started to come back together again I liked what I saw. I had always wanted to have long hair but could never get past the awkward stages once it got longer than a few inches, and hence most of my life I've had a buzzed head.

I like it a lot though, and I think it's one of the best decisions I've made. It's apart of who I am, and I don't think I will ever go back to short hair. The longer it gets the happier I am.

fae
March 12th, 2008, 07:25 PM
I think long hair is gorgeous on women (and men). Especially when it is well cared for. It looks so feminine. Short hair is of course fine also, but long hair is very beautiful. Someone else said it is like an identity and I agree.

It's who I am.

Dianyla
March 12th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Because I can. :)

EdG
March 12th, 2008, 07:36 PM
I have long hair because hair is supposed to be long.

Why else would it grow long? :ponder:

The real question to ask is why do other people have short hair?
Ed

may1em
March 12th, 2008, 08:36 PM
To see if I can. I used to grow from ears out to shoulders then chop it all off. I found the chops cathartic. Growing my hair is helping me be more patient and find non-appearance related ways to deal with life.

I also started to like being able to do all sorts of stuff with it. Mine started growing out because I just didn't get around to going to the salon for a year or so and I couldn't believe how long it had gotten. I was thinking of getting it cut again, but then I stumbled upon the longhair LJ community and tried a lot of the suggestions there. Lo and behold, I could manage my hair and didn't want to cut it anymore!

Plus, it just feels awesome to let my hair down and have it brush against my back and arms. That feeling has become more valuable than the rush I used to get from chopping it off.

movie zombie
March 12th, 2008, 08:51 PM
never been a slave to fashion. i can wear it up [so it looks short] or down which means its more versatile than short hair. my face needs the long lengths to slim the squareness. i look like a complete dork with short hair. i'm not good with hair and short hair requires more work. it wants to grow so why not let it? i could go on but why bother..... how about just plain i like it.

movie zombie

ColoradoDreamer
March 12th, 2008, 09:03 PM
My reasons are:

1. I lost all my hair to chemo 2 years ago and I never want to go there again.
2. I like the way long hair feels on my back.
3. I like being able to put my hair into pretty updos and try out new hair gadgets.
4. I'm a rebel and refuse to wear helmet-hair just because I'm past 50!
:p

carloota
March 12th, 2008, 09:45 PM
My sister has always had very straight, china doll hair. When I was a kid, my hair had a slight wave. My father, who took care of us when we were young, would put a barrette in her hair and call it good. He would "attempt" to brush my hair straight and would get mad that it never looked like my sister's. Finally, in frustration, he took me to the salon where my waist length hair was cut VERY SHORT. I looked like a boy. :( Now that I'm an adult, I'm letting my spirals grow as long and wild as I can. :D LOL

naomimcc
March 12th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Cuz I can :)

CurlyNinja
March 12th, 2008, 10:37 PM
I want to see what my hair looks like long, now that I know how to care for it. I did the ultra-short thing, and in the growing out I've seen my hair at all kinds of lengths. I just didn't like short hair that much any of the times I've had it. I always grew it out, only to re-chop it.

I've recently realized two other inspirations:
1) I want to be the long hair girl if my curls behaving means that I can't be the "big hair" girl
2) My mother, who in her youth had long, long, thick hair. I loved how it looked in pictures and since we look an awful lot alike I figure I'll like how it looks on me.

tiny_teesha
March 12th, 2008, 11:51 PM
i had long hair as a kid and hated hair cuts. I got it cut short then regrew it and i ruined it unknowlingly with hair dye etc so now i am regrowing it again. I feel better and more me with long hair, i think it is pretty and feminine and i like how i am different and myself by choosing for it to be long!

j4zzin
March 13th, 2008, 12:13 AM
My grandmother has always had butt length hair. At 84 years old, her hair is still mostly black. My sister and I both have long hair to carry on the tradition. My mother used to also, but she prefers having short hair because she doesn't have the patience to care for long hair. I kept mine short (including the super short pixie cut I had as an adolescent) when I was growing up, but now I much prefer the look and versatility of long hair. I like to brush it, run my fingers through it, have my boyfriend play with it, and hair toys are always fun. :)

KiwiLiz
March 13th, 2008, 12:16 AM
When I started growing my hair I was pretty insecure, I thought I had nothing going for me except that I had beautiful soft silky hair, it was really the only thing I liked about my self (and not just in terms of appearance). So I thought I'd take that one thing and strive to make it better, and for me making my hair better meant growing it long and healthy.

Now several years on, I'm approaching waist length, I love my hair and I still think my hair is one of my better physical features, but I've grown up since then, I know it's not the only thing good about me. Now I just enjoy being me and having long hair.

AlleyKitten
March 13th, 2008, 12:28 AM
I think long hair is really beautiful, and my hair is my favorite thing about my appearance (it's an unusual color naturally). It's a nice bonus that my boyfriend likes it, but I sure wouldn't cut it for him, since I love it so much myself.

nowxisxforever
March 13th, 2008, 01:37 AM
I've never been one for short hair. I was under the control of my mother and grandmother until I was 13 (at which point I moved in with my father who didn't care what I did with my hair, so long as I didn't dye it any funny colors) and I just had a series of HORRIBLE haircuts as a child. Bleached, dyed, permed, curled, straightened, cut, chop-chop-chopped. I HATED it. So, when I moved in with m'daddy, I left it alone. It took me until I was abt 16 to really start growing it (I'm 20 now and it's tailbone length) but I'm so glad I did. I can say with 95% certainty that I will NEVER be a short-hair in my adult life. :thumbsup:

Lixie
March 13th, 2008, 02:25 AM
Partly because I love how it looks, but mainly because I'm way too lazy for much maintenance. I've always had long hair, then I found LHC and have been even more encouraged to keep it this way.

Melisande
March 13th, 2008, 03:16 AM
I had long hair since I was a child. I was always the one with the long hair at class and everywhere. In my twenties, when I had my children, I had around shoulder length, for me very short but for the rest of the world long. My husband likes me with shoulder length hair but I feel it's too short.

I had my last haircut two years ago and now I'm midback. I'll continue to grow wherever it may grow - terminal. I'm lucky that my husband also likes my hair up, so this is a great compromise.

I feel myself only when I'm the one with the long hair. I don't care whether people will say I'm too old for that - in my middle 40s now. It's a part of my identity. And I feel long hair looks better on almost anyone. I really don't know how this fashion of weird haircuts got so popular .....

AprilElf
March 13th, 2008, 04:27 AM
I've had long hair for most of my life and have never had a salon-style to maintain, so it's really all I know. ;)
I enjoy all the different things I can do with it and love the fact that it's a bit of a novelty.

Just_Isabel
March 13th, 2008, 04:41 AM
Another vote for "long hair is beautiful".

(I haven't read the whole thread, no time right now, but I wanted to post that before I forget. :D)

Iylivarae
March 13th, 2008, 04:44 AM
I just like it and I think it is beautiful.
I also think that it is easier to manage than short hair, I don't have to blowdry it, I don't have to use tons of little clamps to stop it from poking in my eyes, it still looks good even if I slept on it...

Alun
March 13th, 2008, 05:48 AM
I'm just an aging hippie!

:blossom::flower::flowers:

yzkaloha
March 13th, 2008, 05:56 AM
Long hair is beautiful! I think that is enough of a reason.

MerryKat
March 13th, 2008, 06:56 AM
The picture I have of myself in my mind includes classic or longer hair and now I am going to live my picture of myself.

harley mama
March 13th, 2008, 08:01 AM
I have long hair because hair is supposed to be long.

Why else would it grow long? :ponder:

The real question to ask is why do other people have short hair?
Ed

This answer is great!!!! :applause

I grew my hair out because I got tired of paying for bad haircuts! ;)

enfys
March 13th, 2008, 09:00 AM
My hair was long because I knew no different. My mum wanted me to have the long hair she wasn't allowed to have as a child. Then I cut it to fit in a bit more in high school, but it was still about elbow length-ish. Then in college it grew to tailbone, partly because I liked the attention I got for looking arty (all my subjects bar one were design) and partly because I wasn't bothered by what people thought. Then I cut it regularly (faster than growth) to find a length I liked. Now I have to admit that this doesn't work since I prefer it long. And I now have a fiance who loves my hair long, and wants to see it long like it was in photos he's seen.
I'm just scared that one day I'll cut it off to spite him, but he's such a sweetheart I can't see that happening.

It's just pretty and soft. I'm a tactile person.

atlantaz3
March 13th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Basically I'm hair lazy and challenged. I got tired of the 20 plus minutes of blow drying every other morning to straighten and under curl my shoulder length bob hair style. Before that it was layers and hot rollers and hair spray which took even more time. I never felt my hair looked nice and it never looked like what the stylist was able to do with it.
So I cut off all the bad stuff about five years ago and have been growing evey since. At the time I just wanted all one length hair that I could put in a pony tail. It's only been the last two years or so that I made a decision to go "long".

FroandBeyond
March 13th, 2008, 12:07 PM
I want to see how long my kinky, coily hair can get. So many people had negative things to say, like it won't grow. My hair proves them wrong, but I also think haveing alot of hair is just beautiful and crowd stopping.

Siowiel
March 13th, 2008, 12:10 PM
It suits me better... and I like the more conservative feminine look (translates to: I like to look like I was born 1598).

Faepirate
March 13th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Because I've never had really long hair.

Because it gives me a sense of freedom.

Because it's something to nurture and care for. It's therapeutic in that sense and encourages kindness to oneself and a good attitude to general wellbeing.

Because I see more beauty in Waterhouse paintings than I do in any of the latest 'cool' salon styles combined, for a myriad of reasons.

Because I love the challenge, and the 'project' state of mind. ;)

I don't know if long hair actually suits me, however...
I don't know if ANY hair suits me, though - I've given up trying to assess that. I have a huge forehead and a big Germanic nose and my face is generally not very attractive or feminine (I think :() so I guess long hair is also a way to say "what the hell", I don't care, this is how my hair grows and this is how I look". Hmmm. I don't know. Maybe I am just saying this to convince myself ;)

beledigrrl
March 13th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Hmmmm....

I have always been fascinated by long hair since I was a little girl so I'm sure that has something to do with my long hair obsession. Also, when I first started learning bellydance all of the dancers' that I admired had wonderfully thick,long, dark hair and I soon associated being a beautiful dancer with having flowing tresses.

Now that I'm in a place where I happily embrace my thickly coiled kinks and curls, I guess I simply love the idea of having lots of hair to create exotic and different styles with.

MadPirateBippy
March 13th, 2008, 02:13 PM
I've done a ton of crazy things with my hair.

In general, I find very long hair to be the most beautiful hair you can have. I don't like the bleached/permed/fried/bowdried/gelled to hell and gone hair that seems to be so popular, or the Everyone Has It Jennifer Anniston cut (long in back, choppy layers in front, blond highlights)

I had my hair long through neglect a couple of times. I'm cheap and if I'm going to the salon I'd rather get a mani/pedi than a haircut. My grandmother had her hair knee length for a long time and I want to have my hair that length, too.

It's sexy. I get a lot of compliments on it. It gives me something I can feel good about myself without feeling vain or bad (the first thing I was EVERY able to have positive self-image about was my hair).

I like the thought of me with knee length hair, or letting down my bun and having my hair tumble down to my ankles. I'm not sure I'd ever get it past my feet, but we'll see. :) I like how it's unusual, exotic, and beautiful.

I have massive length anorexia. I don't think my waist length hair is long. I'm starting to think knee isn't really long. My hair needs to be longer and in better condition.

All kinds of reasons. I'm learning how to do more updos and I think my hair is pretty fantastic. I'm going to grow it out at least to my knees, probably to terminal length.

kate46
March 13th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Because everyone around me (apart from dh) says I should cut it ;)

thunderlilies
March 13th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Like many others here, I think it's beautiful, and feminine, my husband loves it, and so do I! :P

Poolsoflaughter
March 13th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Because:
I like the challenge of caring for it
I enjoy all of the different styles
It's lovely
it's part of my heritage

EdG
March 13th, 2008, 06:32 PM
This answer is great!!!! :applause
Thanks! I have yet to receive a successful counter argument. :)
Ed

AntiHairSlave
March 13th, 2008, 06:36 PM
To me its a personal challenge. I've never had long hair and now that I'm taking care of it and seeing some growth I want to continue it.

Fee
March 13th, 2008, 06:42 PM
The shortest my hair has ever been was armpit length,I hated it but had to get it to chop off perm damage...since then I've been letting my hair grow...it's been 3,5 long years and my hair is now past waist...I love the look and feeling of having long hair!

killashark
March 13th, 2008, 06:43 PM
my mother! before she had me and my sister, her hair was down to her calves! unfortunately, i think her long hair gene must have skipped me because mine wont grow past my lower back, but my sister's can. in fact, my mother was so upset because my sister was chosen to be a paul mitchell hair model...the day of the show, she came home with her hair up to her jawline! :( but......at least im winning the hair race now. lol.

Urchin
March 13th, 2008, 08:21 PM
I like having a long-term project that requires care. It makes me feel good to do good things for my hair. When I measure growth, I'm elated. It's rewarding psychologically.

Also, I love the way it looks, and have since I was young.

mrs carol
March 13th, 2008, 08:44 PM
I've always liked long hair. I like putting it up in different up do's. It makes me feel good.

TheSpottedCow
March 13th, 2008, 10:01 PM
A bleach/dye mishap at a salon where I was bleached repeatedly in one day caused severe chemical burns on my scalp, and I lost a decent amount of hair and much of it was broken as well, id say about 1/3 was gone in total and about 1/2 of that fell out immediately after the dye. My hair was so damaged people I didn't know would come up and recommend salons. pretty rude, but that's just how bad it was. Before that I kindof wanted to grow it but obviously didn't care that much because I colored it, and after I lost all that hair and had it break for years after that, I developed a complex and now spend way too much time caring for and growing my hair. LOL.

shellblue1
March 14th, 2008, 02:08 AM
Well mine isn't that long yet, but there are many reasons to grow hair long:

*it is gorgeous
*it is feminine
*more options for styling
*it is eye-catching
*men love long hair
*it doesn't go out of style
*it is challenging

Melein
March 14th, 2008, 02:23 AM
I feel more feminine with long hair. That and it is just part of my identity, it seems right to me.

I think it says a lot that the only times I have had short hair have been when I was very depressed and cut off all my hair because I didn't think it was worth caring for it. Seeing it long reminds me of how far I've come from then. :)

artgeek
March 16th, 2008, 08:48 AM
I want long hair because I love long hair on other people - men and women. It feels selfish not to share something I love so!

The hard thing is that short hair also looks really good on me. Argh! :)

Hairytale
March 16th, 2008, 09:06 AM
I want to have long hair because I think it looks lovely and kind of fairy tale-like. And I wanted to be able to create all kinds of lovely updos. :)

blue_nant
March 16th, 2008, 09:06 AM
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb309/raptorrunner/eagleandtheraven.jpg

This is one of my reasons. (Woo! it worked! woo!)

Qwerty Uiop
March 16th, 2008, 09:26 AM
I was two years old, so I don't really remember. My mother says she sat me down for my first haircut, I fussed and cried, so she put the scissors away without doing a thing. I did cut it once when I was eight because of the rules at the country club where we went swimming, but I hated it short and immediately started growing it again.

I think it has to do more with bodily integrity than vanity. I do love the look of super long hair in good condition, but that is not now and has never been what I have growing from my own head, lol.

I do know that I "didn't feel like me" with short hair and that it annoys me that my terminal length has not changed to keep up with the rest of my body size--classic on my seven year old self is not quite waist length on my adult self--and that I will never want to wear it short again, so i just want to do what i can with what nature gave me.

The only thing I would even consider doing differently is dreading it, and I only want to do that because I'm two months postpartum and 43 years old so I have a right to hate my hair at the moment. ;)

Javadandy
March 16th, 2008, 10:02 AM
I have always tried to grow my hair. When I was a child, my mom kept it short so it was easier for her to maintain. This was back in the days of Cher on TV. Her hair was so pretty, and that's what I wanted my hair to look like.

Well, I tried and tried and never could get it to grow down past the middle of my back. It would just stop there and it grew so slowly that it would be damaged and not look really good by the time it got there. To me, I looked looked better with the longer hair, but it was always ending up layered to make it look fuller. As a young adult, I was a 2a-F-i - which totally went against family history...then I figured it out.

I was blessed with 4 children, all of which have great hair. It totally fried my thyroid. This little gland had totally controlled my hair my whole life, and I had been hypo with no meds most of my life. Once I started my meds, viola! my hair really grew, and it changed! I made it to my waist! It was chemically colored, because along with the slow metabolism also came gray hairs since I was 17. So although it was longer, it wasn't at it's best. The hair now is 1c-F-ii, a

I love long hair, and it is what makes me different. Guys can tell you they like your hair and it isn't any sort of bad behavior. I am using henna now and it is making grow faster, which is awesome. I hope to find out my terminal growth, which I am hoping is to my thighs.

Long hair is the coolest. It is also an achievement! :smile:

xrosiex
March 16th, 2008, 03:28 PM
I've always loved long hair, I think it's beatiful.

DarkChocolate
March 17th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Long hair is beautiful:)

Áine
March 17th, 2008, 11:25 AM
I like it. It suits me. Long hair is spiritual to me, too. That's about all.

That about sums it up for me too. :o

Lisa-Maria
March 17th, 2008, 11:27 AM
I have always had long hair, as far as I can remember anyway. Right now I'm mostly enjoying the health of it and the fact that I can wear it the way I like and change my hairdo several times a day.

WritingPrincess
March 18th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Long hair is beautiful, the Bible says it is a woman's glory, and I *love* running my hands through it. That about covers it. Oh, and I feel much more feminine. It's also a lot of fun.

cassie_g
March 18th, 2008, 08:45 PM
I was tired of cutting it off and hating it. And I think long hair looks better on me then short hair. And because I can.

SippyCup
March 18th, 2008, 09:04 PM
I just enjoy it in all aspects. I feel odd with short hair.

archel
March 18th, 2008, 09:07 PM
It is soooooo fun to play with. That's why I put up with how hard it is to take care of! I love the way it feels, I love when other people play with it, I love making lots of neat hairstyles (it's like art) - it can be different every day. Love that!

Nicole Marie
March 18th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Long hair is so graceful and lovely! It shows care, patiene & devotion in maintaining it, and there's something so earthy and sensual about it.
At least in the fanciful mind of someone who hasn't had waist-grazing hair since kindergarden ;) hehe

ChloeDharma
March 18th, 2008, 09:33 PM
From when i was a child something about long hair always drew me.....and i always imagined myself with what i thought of as very long hair (bum-ish area) when i grew up. It's also part of the way i see myself.....i can't think of myself as a short haired person.....even when i used to cut and play with styles i felt something was missing that was meant to be there.

Nowdays it's mostly that long hair is just "me" plus i couldn't cope with not being able to put my hair up in a bun and having to get regular cuts and spend time styling it.

I also feel that there's alot of personal energy in my hair (being a bit spiritual here) so cutting it off just seems weird.

Silverlady
March 18th, 2008, 10:28 PM
I had my hair cut off short most all of my life and finally one day back in 2002 when I was due for a cut, I thought how cool it would be to 60 years old with white hair way down my back. What a fun, radical thing to do and "stop traffic". Long, naturally silver/white hair. What fun! :) *Grins*

Arniky
March 18th, 2008, 10:43 PM
maybe feels nice - let it just hang down or for a change

Advaya
March 18th, 2008, 11:17 PM
I have always loved long hair. I love the feeling of having it flowing down my back. I am far from a master of up-dos and my hair is generally down except when I sleep, but I love having that option available to me. I find the act of brushing hair to be very relaxing, and I enjoy few things more than someone playing with my hair.

I also find long hair to be very mystical and beautiful, as though I am in a faery tale or an antique photograph.

CurlyOne
March 18th, 2008, 11:20 PM
I have always thought long hair was beautiful but I never knew how to grow it long and healthy until I came here. Thank you LHC!

sputnik
March 19th, 2008, 12:15 AM
because I haven't... I am curious if I can deal with it till it reaches my waist and then who knows. I still like short hair (though not the butchered cut I am trying to grow out :P ). Also I am growing it while I am at college... in a way it is measuring my time spent, also it will save money on cuts and longer hair is easier to pull back and then forget about. I think my boyfriend is privately happy that I am growing it, but doubts I'll stick it out. (proving him wrong is further motivation!)

Red Jezebel
March 19th, 2008, 04:25 AM
On women I find it incredibly feminine if well kept, and on men, very masculine (but not if it's comb over! Eek). Weird, huh? I just adore long hair... is it a subconcious sign of health and good genes I wonder?

And I remember feeling rather butch and invisible when I had short hair. I'm never going back.

I've just seen SurprisingWoman's profile and she has the most amazing long silver hair, gorgeous... there is no way I'm ever going short if there's a chance I could have hair like that.

Sarahmoon
March 19th, 2008, 04:42 AM
Because I like it :D

I hate short hair on myself (had a bad experience with it). I love the feeling of long hair. I like trying out buns and braids. I like looking different from the usual fashion-followers. My boyfriend like it too :D

Jadetive
March 19th, 2008, 06:35 AM
Because I think long hair looks beautiful and feminine. I belly dance occasionally and long hair helps to make the dance look more beautiful in some way.

Zindell
March 19th, 2008, 06:54 AM
Long hair to me is beautiful, sexy and have an air of mystery (magic) surrounding it.

Laululintu
March 19th, 2008, 09:04 AM
I like long hair best on me. I probably wouldn't feel like myself with short hair.

BlueRose4217
March 19th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Because someone told me that when I turn 40, I had to cut my hair short. It was at BSL at the time. That is when I decided to grow my hair long. That was three years ago and now I am past tailbone! BTW, she didn't cut her hair when she turned 40! LOL! :)

ladystar
March 19th, 2008, 10:41 AM
I love the way it feels on my skin and the way that it looks, also how good I feel with I hear wow your hair is beautiful and long.

I love long hair I guess its my obsession :D

Elleyena
March 19th, 2008, 10:43 AM
I love long hair, and I wanted to learn to do more updos and other fun styles with it

meriellyn
March 19th, 2008, 11:37 AM
I've always admired long healthy hair but was never able to make it through that awkward in-between stage without lopping it off. For one thing, I colored LOT and heat styled constantly from the time I was 12 on. My last big haircut, I buzzed it off and started over. Loved the way it grew out and it just kept getting better. Somehow managed to not notice the weird stage much and suddenly realized I was well on my way to having long hair so I started taking really good care of it. I'm amazed that I now have waist length, healthy, virgin hair. I really didn't think I ever would.

It did kinda give a bonus boost to it that my ex-H liked my hair short and made a snarky comment about it getting long after we split. Heh. Much better deal than lopping it off after a breakup and regretting it. ;)

Jaime
March 19th, 2008, 11:43 AM
I've been a longhair all my life, but never grew my hair long until I was in my 30's! And never grew it, and KEPT it, long, until this time (2006 - present). Why the longhair?

1. Because I see ME when I look in the mirror

2. I like it

3. Because I can! (my father started going bald in his 20's)

4. Because it sets me apart from the usual crowd of corporate suits

And finally, to quote from Gates of Fire a novel about the Spartans by Stephen Pressfield:

"Long hair is the only thing that can make a handsome man more good-looking, and an ugly one more terrifying. Besides, it's free!"

I'll let you all decide whether I fall into the "more good looking" or "more terrifying" category. :lol:

8) Jim

Anne~
March 19th, 2008, 01:03 PM
To get control of my curls!

aprilmay
March 21st, 2008, 10:00 AM
I like the way it looks on me and I like how I feel with long hair.

AquaViolet1973
March 21st, 2008, 01:41 PM
I just love having my hair long. I like how it looks long, as opposed to short. It also makes me feel more feminine.

(I'm not implying that guys with long hair look feminine. I'm just saying how my long hair makes me feel.)

Moiraine
March 21st, 2008, 02:44 PM
I am in the process of growing all one length long hair just to do an Indian braid with. I had long hair up to age 17 and it has been anything from short-short to mid-back. All my aunties on my fathers side had long hair. I just want to grow it out again, maybe I need my "security blanket" back again:D

kissedbyfyre
March 21st, 2008, 02:56 PM
Because I have far too much hair to even consider going short. Short, it's HUGE and I regain my curls making it even larger. Far too much fuss goes into making short hair presentable. I've honestly always admired long hair and always wanted it but I never considered growing it out until after I buzzed it at 15.

Sunshine69
March 21st, 2008, 03:07 PM
I think hair is beautiful, and long hair especially so. On a woman or a man, long hair is sexy and exotic looking to me.

heidihug
March 21st, 2008, 07:49 PM
I'm a rebel inside, at times I like to do the opposite of what is expected of me. So, the older I got, the longer I grew my hair. I like it, my husband likes it, and that's pretty much enough for me.

When my now 16-yr-old son was 3, he was sitting on the toilet behind me. I was just starting to let my hair grow, it was probably 24 inches, and I was brushing it. And he said to me, "Mom, your hair is like a princess." I smiled a little to myself. And then he deflated my ego quite nicely by quipping "But you have a really big butt!"

paper
March 22nd, 2008, 06:45 AM
Having long hair was always important to me. It's like your born that way? I can remember crying when my mother made me get my hair cut in pixie :mad: and this was before kindergarten. My childhood dream was to have very long hair. When I got around 40, I cut if off, thinking thats what I'm "suppose" to do. I recently started growing it again, and I'm very excited about it.

Great story heidihug :D

heidihug
March 23rd, 2008, 05:47 PM
I can remember crying when my mother made me get my hair cut in pixie :mad: and this was before kindergarten.

Ohmigosh, paper, my mother did the same to me! Those kindergarten pictures are positively horrifying. I'm pretty sure she just wanted me to have a wash'n'wear hairstyle, but it was awful, and I remember hating it so much.

B.T.Carolus
March 23rd, 2008, 07:55 PM
My mother forced me to have short (short short) hair until I was 9, then let me grow it out (to just below chin length) because I was begging for it. I didn't realize how much care it takes (by care I mean, you know, brusing it every morning) and she wasn't helping me, so I let it get all nasty and she forced me to cut it off again. I don't think that she ever quite realized that I actually look terrible (and extremely masculine) with short hair. When I was twelve, and a little more mature, I started growing it out again. It started off basically as a very short 'boy' haircut and I have very, very thick hair, so I had to wait awhile before it all evened out. After It was even and it started growing I realized that I wasn't just jealous of my 'long haired' friends, I actually love having long hair. So instead of donating it to Locks of Love like everyone else did in high school, I still have long hair, and it's never getting cut off again.

intothemist1999
March 23rd, 2008, 09:03 PM
All I wanted to say:

I just love how people come up with clever plays on words and phrases here!!! :D

Alaskanheart
March 23rd, 2008, 09:41 PM
I havent had long hair BSL for at least 8 years, I went through a phase where I would do trendy cuts every 2 months, , and I was coloring for 12 years, up until last July. Ive never had it much past BSL, and I would like to get it to my waist.

With the short cuts, you have to blowdry and heat style to achieve "the look", and because of the heat style and coloring, I couldnt grow my hair long , because it was damaged and I would get irritated and cut.

I guess the main reason why I am growing my hair, and keeping it natural , no chemical color no heat styling, because I want to stop "keeping up" with trends, and stop changing myself to look the way our society wants me too.

Actually quiting the color and letting my hair dry naturally, without using a ton of expensive products, while growing has made me accept the way I look more, and made me realize, that alot of times doing "whats cool and in style" is exactly the opposite of cool. Ive never really been into the trendy thing anyways, but now I dont have the impulse to conform every time I see a beauty industry commercial especially for hair because I am more educated about the ingrediants and how they react with my hair... thanks to LHC.

Plus I like the way it looks, and my husband thinks its sexy, and it gives me a mini-goal to keep me from getting bored.

tiny_teesha
March 25th, 2008, 02:28 AM
because ive always had long hair and after killing it i want it back! It was my best feature. i enjoy long hair better.

soleluna
March 25th, 2008, 03:30 AM
Because I had it as a child and loved it, because I think it's beautiful and feminine and I feel empowerd by my long hair. Because I like the fact that it shows I am a persevering girl, since it takes time and effort to grow it and sometimes cutting would be the easier way. and because I like to put effort in what I believe in... and hair makes me feel like a goddes.

Miss Murphy
March 25th, 2008, 03:58 AM
I just love that it's so versatile. I used to have a short do, and the only variation was either a headband or a small barrete for a half-up.

Now I can do tons of different styles, and I know there are plenty more to come once it grows even longer.

Kelsey
March 25th, 2008, 07:37 AM
I think that really, really, really long hair looks so nice. I am trying to achieve hair like Crystal Gayle, the country singer, as I think it looks so healthy, and so pretty. I also find that it is comfortable having super long hair.

silvergirl
April 1st, 2008, 05:03 PM
I love long hair. There aren't too many people here with curly curly long locks, and I like the idea of being part of that elite group :)

snowflakegirl
April 1st, 2008, 06:37 PM
I think long hair is the most flattering for me. I've had quite short hair and it just doesn't look right. Long hair tames my curl and makes me look the best (or at least I think so).

Blueglass
April 1st, 2008, 06:59 PM
Why not grow hair? You can spend a bundle at the salon, you will never be as happy. You will just return to the salon again and again after tends, always unhappy. You return to the salon because you think it will be better. There will be a new style. You will get one change, and want another. You will be tempted by one style after another. Your life will waste away in useless play. You will not have what you need. So stop wanting.

MissBiss
April 1st, 2008, 07:22 PM
Long hair is more flattering on me as it suits my face and body type better than short hair. I love beautiful hair of any and all lengths though.

lookingglass
April 1st, 2008, 07:28 PM
I always had short hair as a child and didn't like it. I feel more beautiful in long hair...like a princess.

HeartfulofHope
April 5th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Because the Bible calls it a woman's "crowning glory", because I just plain love hair, because it's versatile, because I think it looks good on me.... and because I'm a hopeless romantic, and everyone knows that fairy-tale princesses require gorgeous, long hair, right?

jesamyn
April 5th, 2008, 08:16 AM
I just like my hair and want to see more of it. :) I also like the feeling of it brushing against my back and arms. (Of course, I have always worn my hair up mostly when it was longer, but it gets to go free sometimes just because I like that feeling.)

willowcandra
April 5th, 2008, 08:29 AM
It just makes me feel more like myself. Just wish I could wear it loose more though.

sahiba
April 6th, 2008, 01:30 AM
Being a sikh by religion I never got to cut my hair, so long hair was my only option. The only problem was that I never really had long or beautiful hair. I still am extremely shy about showing my hair ,but after LHC they have improved drastically.The length and softness has improved for the better.

Finoriel
April 6th, 2008, 01:41 AM
Why not? :D
I wanted to try something new, I like buns and braids, itīs low maintenance & versatile and itīs saving money.

Dianyla
April 6th, 2008, 01:56 AM
Why not grow hair? You can spend a bundle at the salon, you will never be as happy. You will just return to the salon again and again after tends, always unhappy. You return to the salon because you think it will be better. There will be a new style. You will get one change, and want another. You will be tempted by one style after another. Your life will waste away in useless play. You will not have what you need. So stop wanting.
I'm not sure it's necessary to be that dramatic about this. Some people enjoy going to salons and spending money and trying new things.

I'm not one of those people, but I don't consider their enjoyment of salons to be pathological. :shrug:

Pursuer
April 6th, 2008, 02:20 AM
It is religious for me (1 Corinthians 11:15).
I do enjoy long hair, too. I find it beautiful, elegant and feminine.
But even if I didn't find it beautiful, I would still grow it out. :)

Riot Crrl
April 6th, 2008, 02:32 AM
I have worn short haircuts, and I spent a lot more time maintaining, styling and obsessing over them than long haircuts. Just my experience.

I do totally get my hair cut/trimmed. Just much longer than I used to.

Newniepg
April 6th, 2008, 07:27 AM
My mum always made me have a sort bob when I was little. I always wanted princess hair, like Belle or Jasmine! I also think long hair is beautiful.

Eireann
April 14th, 2008, 10:01 AM
I always had long hair as a kid. I never had a "real" haircut (as opposed to my sister with the kitchen sheers) until I was in my 20s. Since then, I've had pixie to shoulder length off and on for the past 20 or so years, and I decided it was time to return to my "roots." Having spent my teen years with waist length or longer hair, I never learned all the "girl" skills of styling, curling and blowdrying. I loved the way my shorter hair looked when the stylist would do it at the salon, but I could NEVER repeat it at home. Now my hair is between APL and BSL, and I'm looking forward to tailbone or longer. I feel that my "soul" has long hair despite all the other styles I've had over the years.

Druid of Alba
April 14th, 2008, 10:09 AM
It is beautiful, comfortable, natural, and I have always just had an obsession with it that I can't really explain, lol.

Blueglass
April 14th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Sahiba you were "lucky" and destiny written on your mustask to born in the house of Guru Ji.
You know that hated and contempt and exploitation of kes is a great social ill. As you know, in South Indian (and elsewhere) their are many women such as you. In South Indian a good many are very saintly. They are often sacrifing, and are saints no doubt. But Sahiba I rather have you as a friend, and not a coat, (or wig). If I were you, I kiss the feet of Guru Gobind Singh, (suck the
toes of all ten gurus, well, maybe suck toe is a bit much!!) crawl on floor in respect. Attend Gurdwara everyday if you can. Maybe Snatam Kaur wonderful songs will encourage to jaap nam
http://www.snatamkaur.com/

Kunzang
April 15th, 2008, 12:15 PM
It is sacred
It is natural
It is fun!

Marysmirth
April 15th, 2008, 12:46 PM
I think long hair is ultra-femine. Not for guys, though! Sorry! But, for me, personally, long hair makes me feel young! I don't want to look like your average short-haired 50-plus year old woman. I'm also growing out the grey and I'm getting some pretty neat coloration. I wish I had done this sooner. I'm only at 20 inches of growth, but my friends and family think it's long already! Ha! If only they knew what I think long really is!

KaeleyAnne
April 15th, 2008, 01:08 PM
I've always had long hair. I love the way it feels and looks and the myriad of things that I can do with it. From the way my hair acts now, I know that it would be less manageable if it were short.

Besides, with long hair, I can always dress up as Pippi Longstocking for Halloween! Having braids that are two feet long sticking straight out from one's head is awesome!

flapjack
April 15th, 2008, 01:20 PM
My hair is a fifth limb at this point. I love it, I always have. I know I was kind of blessed in the genetics department when it comes to hair, too, so I might as well show off how nice it is. Hahaha. Plus my whole family (male and female) all have hair at their shoulders of below, so it's kind of become a family thing, now.

Jason
April 15th, 2008, 01:23 PM
It is an identity thing with me. I don't feel right with short hair. I also just like everything about long hair.

michelle99
April 15th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Because I've had short hair for a really long time and need a permanent change.

psvzum
April 15th, 2008, 10:02 PM
I love how it looks long-it's that simple : )

1nuitblanche
April 15th, 2008, 10:43 PM
It's more natural. I love the way it feels. I don't have to wear tons of make-up etc. to look feminine. I can cut it myself. It's different from what most people have.

meichigo
April 15th, 2008, 10:54 PM
I've always had long hair. Well, okay, obviously I wasn't born with it, and I did try short hair once... It didn't last very long before I decided I wanted my hair back. Short hair felt a bit boring... Though there are lots of trendy short hair cuts, once your hair is cut there are less options for what to do with it. I love my long hair because it makes me feel really feminine and pretty. Even though I don't get compliments on it that often, I just love hearing, "Oh! Your hair is so long!"

Mangachan
April 16th, 2008, 07:38 PM
-I love the way long hair looks and the styles I'll be able to do are going to be beautiful.
-I love my texture and can't wait to see what it looks like BSL and beyond.
-I want to prove to myself and people around me that hair like mine can grow long.

Legend
April 16th, 2008, 07:47 PM
It's easier to style.
I look much better with longer/face-framing styles.
It's sexy! ;)

birthmarkie
April 16th, 2008, 08:53 PM
I have a tough time maintaining shorter cuts. Since my hair seems to like growing, I am letting it. It might sound silly, but I feel like my hair is the guiding force, not me. It has offered me comfort, joy, confidence, and peace, so I can't argue with that.

Nat242
April 16th, 2008, 09:22 PM
A few years ago, I had a split-second vision of me, in my 60s or 70s, in a garden, with two waist length, silver-grey braids. It was so odd, especially since I'd had short (pixie) hair for years, and when my hair was "long" it was APL.

I loved this picture of future-Nat, and it really motivated me to start growing my hair out. Whoever said that their spirit had long hair, I know exactly what you mean!

Starting belly dancing was also an impetus.

Also, I find people generally "expect" me to have short hair, to not be as feminine as I am...which of course makes me more inclined to have long hair :P

Now that I've started thinking positively about my hair, and nurturing it, there really is a lot of energy, and a lot of myself, in my hair.

-- Natalie

SFreader
April 16th, 2008, 10:44 PM
I had long hair as a child, long hair as a teen, and long hair as a colledge student... then i caved and got the career woman cut. Yuck. so not flattering, it required more time, I had to use chemicals and machines (blow dryer, curler etc.).

I shaved off the whole thing and went with the I just got out of basic training style for a while then after that got old started going back to my roots.... <:- )

Aqualily30
April 16th, 2008, 11:37 PM
Have always admired the beauty that long hair seems to bring to any woman.
Just very feminine.

zelah
April 16th, 2008, 11:54 PM
I've had long hair off and on over the years. I would usually cut it short before summer and I always loved how it felt to have all that weight gone. But now I like to play with it and (attempt to) put it up and all. Plus, my DBF looooves long hair. He jokingly threatens to dump me should I ever cut it off!

Oh yeah and as a bonus I love it when people want to play with it, braid it, or if my young cousins want to run their hands through it. It feels so good!

ljc
April 17th, 2008, 09:52 AM
it helps to have a rabid long hair fan that you talk to every once in a while.....teeeheee

LJC

zelah
April 17th, 2008, 12:51 PM
LOL.. yeah.. thanks for the reference here, btw. My hair would be short right now had you not told me of this place all those years ago.

harpgal
April 17th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Because I am almost 60 and I can do what I want. :D

Euphony
April 17th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Simply, long hair is beautiful.

fleurdelis
April 17th, 2008, 01:52 PM
1 I am tired of looking like a boy
2 I am tired of EVERYONE telling me I canīt grow long hair (because it is too thin, it is not in my genes, it would look ugly..)
3 I still love fairy-tales
4 I always admired long hair, but was convinced I canīt have them

ljc
April 17th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Tasarwen,

I humbly guess that you did whatever you wanted way before now.....lol

cya,
LJC

tuuli
April 17th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Why?
Long hair is

- fancy
- feminine
- beautiful
- timeless
- special
- versatile
- breathtaking

:)

young&reckless
April 18th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Because I deserve it.

:blossom: We all do

nate
April 18th, 2008, 11:22 AM
It is an identity thing with me. I don't feel right with short hair. I also just like everything about long hair.Pretty much this. When you start dreaming about having long hair (as I did), your brain is trying to tell you something.

myrtle
April 18th, 2008, 11:38 AM
I just wanted a change but the interesting feeling as my hair has started to grow down my back is i love the feel of it and am curious as tohow long I can grow it.

rosieposie
April 18th, 2008, 12:18 PM
ive had long hair most of my life. it is just so pretty. when i had it cut to chin level last year, i looked dreadful and people kept asking if i was ill. so its back to growing for me.
i must admit something else here also:
my name is rosieposie and im an updo addict :)

heidihug
April 18th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Welcome, rosieposie! You'll find lots of updo addicts here to support you.

harpgal
April 18th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Tasarwen,

I humbly guess that you did whatever you wanted way before now.....lol

cya,
LJC
LOL! Pretty funny, ljc. Ummm....you're right!

rosieposie
April 18th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Welcome, rosieposie! You'll find lots of updo addicts here to support you.
thanks for the welcome, heidihug :) . I cant wait to get my length back again (30+" before the disasterous chop) to try out the glorious updos here on LHC

angelthadiva
April 18th, 2008, 01:00 PM
I've always kept long-ish hair, but I've had it different lengths and colors for that matter...I've decide to just let it grow; I want to see how long it will grow....That said, if it becomes a safety hazzard (tripping and whatnot) I would trim to a length I can work with. I'm super close to classic length, and dare I be so bold to say, I've arrived...I wouldn't be mad if it got to knee length, I think it would be fun!

Bellatrix
April 18th, 2008, 01:14 PM
I personally find it more versatile.

Shypii90
April 19th, 2008, 07:21 PM
I'm a person who's very interested by keeping natural things as they were intended; for example long hair.

Being a boy I always had short hair in my life and I'm very eager to grow it out because I feel it determines a big part of my character: free, creative and patient :)

JCFantasy23
April 23rd, 2008, 01:47 PM
I've always loved long hair. Sadly my hair is only mid bra length and doesn't seem to want to grow further. It's just my style, I always thought it was more feminine

FB
April 23rd, 2008, 01:52 PM
I grew and still am growing my hair long because I can. When I was little my mother always cut my hair short, like a boy, and now I control my hair and I have always wanted long hair.

blackfrostqueen
April 23rd, 2008, 02:02 PM
I'm growing it long because I find long hair very beautiful and feminine, and because long hair looks good up or down - there is so much to do with it!!!

Chamomile betty
April 23rd, 2008, 02:50 PM
Well, I love to wear updos and having my hair longer makes them easier to put.
I also like longer hair on me, it makes me feel pretty :wink:

Florida Mom
April 23rd, 2008, 05:19 PM
I've always loved long hair. I have it it long and short, and always come back to long. And now I want to see how long I can grow it.

The up-dos are also a blast!

Tangles
May 1st, 2008, 07:08 PM
Reason 1: My innate style. I am as far from a trendy type as you can get. Even if I try to be chic, it usually doesn't go over very well. I'm not a hippie or earthy type really, just very... natural? I don't feel comfortable with more makeup than cover up and mascara, and I don't feel comfortable with short hair, even shoulder length doesn't really look right.

Reason 2: I have wavy hair, and length controls it.

Reason 3: I'm a romantic (like many of you...)

Reason 4: All the women in my family have hair below their shoulders. I've never even considered chopping when I reach 40 or 50. In fact, I look forward to reaching that age and learning how to care for long hair, even if I'll no longer be able to keep it to my waist.

Reason 5: It's been a while since my hair has been really long, and the last time my hair was both long and healthy was in high school. I see this growing out thing as a challenge and an exercise in patience--I'm really NOT a patient person, so I need something like this.

lirael
May 1st, 2008, 08:28 PM
I've always loved looking at shiny hair and playing with it. I just can't imagine myself any other way!

~Lady Stardust~
May 1st, 2008, 08:43 PM
A couple of years ago I wanted a shoulder-length hair cut and I ended up recieving a longish pixie. I don't really know why he thought I would look good in a Beatles type haircut, but that's what I got! Since then I've been a little bit obsessed with growing my hair out. But I would always get frustrated with it and cut it again...but this time'll it'll be different! (I said that last time too, but really, I mean it THIS time! :D)

And I've always loved that beautiful princess look!

kwaniesiam
May 1st, 2008, 09:28 PM
I just like it, and really long hair is a rarity these days, as well as quite impressive and very beautiful if healthy and treated well. The cut I have now does suit me, but really long I'm much more comfortable with and is what I aspire to. Give me a few years and I'll get back to you ;)

CherrySilver
May 1st, 2008, 10:07 PM
Because I was totally inspired by the long hair King of the World, Dr. George Michael (ret.)

Morag
May 1st, 2008, 10:38 PM
I like playing with it. When I'm waiting and bored somewhere, I have something to do, twisting it in new ways around my hair stick of the day. Also, I have a better excuse to shop for intriguing hair sticks, which I did even when my hair was really short.

I have been told all my life that my hereditary hair type is too thin and fragile, and just does not look good long. I have a "testy" sort of personality - so I'm testing, LOL!

Saranne772
May 2nd, 2008, 12:06 AM
I love long hair and I have had it for most of my life really!

Long hair is beautiful and there is so much that can be done with it! :cloud9: Its also original and I love to be a bit different. The updos too so beautiful. And I want to proove to people I know that long hair can grow (extra long in today's terms) and that it can be healthy and lovedly without chemicals and straightening!
Its also part of my faith that I believe women should have long hair :D Although the length I am starting to get a length that isn't necessary just "Long" is encouraged and according to today BSL is long. Haha!!

may1em
May 2nd, 2008, 12:44 AM
Better question: Why not?

NenNa
May 2nd, 2008, 12:49 AM
Since my hair either needs to be short enough to allow a rewash in the morning if the result came out bad - or long enough to allow beeing tied into a bun or a braid - I've decided to go for long hair to reduce cost for haircuts etc.

Strangefire
May 2nd, 2008, 01:40 AM
I love seeing long hair on both genders.

It makes me think of power and health, growth and joy, and yes-- romance. When I have my long hair in an updo, I feel like I'm carrying a secret beauty. When I let it down, I feel connected to nature and something primal. My favorite thing to do with my hair is to let it down while I'm on a hike in the hills. With a gentle breeze lifting it up and the sun shining down, it makes me feel alive.

Ah, long hair. You are poetry in motion. :)

DavidN
May 2nd, 2008, 02:47 AM
It can be stated very simply, just because I enjoy having long hair, and have had longish hair most of my life. After a few years of short hair from late 1999 to early 2004, I realized that short hair was not for me.

savi
May 2nd, 2008, 05:45 AM
I have been told all my life that my hereditary hair type is too thin and fragile, and just does not look good long. I have a "testy" sort of personality - so I'm testing, LOL!

My mom used to tell me that through my childhood. She was surprised when I started growing longer that it wasn't all that thin and fragile. You never know unless you try, right? ;)

I'm adding another reason for the long hair now. Emotional attachment. I'd be so sad to loose the lenght that I love.

Morag
May 5th, 2008, 10:11 PM
I am tired of EVERYONE telling me I canīt grow long hair (because it is too thin, it is not in my genes, it would look ugly..)

Fleurdelis, they tell you that, too? I'd be happy to tell them :p for you. :D

I'm growing my hair out largely to find out for myself whether all that complaint about my fine, thin hair is valid or not. Both my grandmothers had reasonably long hair (around waist length), so I figure it must be possible for me. I do have a rather distressing mental picture of how painfully thin G'ma Bessie's hair was, and mine seems to take after hers, but I have better care options than she did and that may make a difference.

I like long hair, and I'd like mine to to be thicker, longer, and stronger. There's no way to find out whether I can have that without trying. :)

Addition: You said it, Harpgal! If we can't do what we want at our age, when can we? Go, go, go! :cheer:

hazelfaern
May 5th, 2008, 10:47 PM
When I was little, my parents kept my hair in that trendy 70's vaguely gender-neutral, rounded, jaw-length haircut, which, I didn't really care about because I hadn't discovered the concept of hair styles, yet (or style, for that matter). Then one rainy night, driving past a grocery store, I can remember looking out the window and seeing a tall, rather elegant looking woman in a dress and heels carrying an umbrella, walking through the parking lot, her classic-length hair waving gently behind her, and something clicked in my brain. "I want long hair!" I said out loud. "Mom, mom, can I grow my hair out really looooong?" She just laughed and said sure. But my hair has hovered between waist and shoulder blades (for the most part) ever since (I will admit, I have broken out the scissors because I was bored and "needed a change" once or twice, but it was always a disaster).

I think long hair looks elegant and feminine. It's easy, too. The term "wash and wear hair" always made me laugh because, with waist length hair, I had wash and wear hair, while the ladies with the shorter cuts and perms always need a curling iron or at least a few styling products to keep the random wisps from turning into cow licks (ooh, I get rhymey when it gets late!).

Dancewithme
May 5th, 2008, 11:16 PM
I have always loved long hair. I had to get mine chopped off when I was little because I got gum in it. I was so sad. My hair has been long most of my life since then. I need to appreciate my hair more though. Lately I've been largely ignoring it.

Chamomilemaiden
May 5th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Because itīs me, people recognize me with long blond wavy hair and say I shouldnīt cut it. I canīt even imagine myself with short hair. Also I love the look of long hair on woman in the 19th century photographs. And I like trying various updos.

swanns
May 6th, 2008, 02:35 AM
My hair was cut into a bob until I was about 9, which was the first time when I let it grow longer, maybe three or four inches my shoulders. But my mum, as she's never liked long hair on me, actually PAID me to cut it so I did, and had short hair for the next 4 years, until I started to let it grow again. I think it was about BSL when all sorts of shitty things happened in my life and I just didn't care and had it cut so much it didn't really look like it was any lenght at all so I just had it cut into a few-icnh long pixie, and haven't cut it (except for the occasional trim) since.

I just love long hair. I guess that's my main reason.
I feel like I'm achieving something as my hair gets longer.
I love how my hair looks when it's long, it's so thick it just looks silly when it's short.
I love to have people tell me how much hair I have (I've never had a negative comment made about it, which is just truly wonderful :D ).
I used to love to hide behind it when I was a bit younger, and I still love it how I can just 'close the curtains' if I don't want my face to be seen.
I've had so many people tell me my hair is how they recognice me and that I should never cut it, and I think they'd be mad as hell at me if I did, so even if I wanted to I think I wouldn't dare :D

VikingJarl
May 6th, 2008, 04:25 AM
I started growing mine when I was about 16. I had been into heavy metal since I was 11, but my Mum would always cut my hair short. When I was 16 I had the final say in hair cuts and the word was "no"!

25 Years later and my hair is still here and I intend it to stay that way. I've often said I'd cut my throat before I cut my hair. I think that's a bit dramatic, but you get the idea.

I'm also very much into viking and medieval history and just love the old pre-raphaelite paintings done in this style showing beautiful ladies in beautiful gowns with beautiful flowing hair.

I feel that hair maketh the woman, luckily my wife feels the same and is growing hers too:)

I can't understand the modern obsession with short hair, but I guess it's our long hair that makes us special....

noelgirl
May 6th, 2008, 06:23 AM
It's interesting how so many people say that people recognize them by their hair, I've had that experience as well. One time, for Halloween, I wore a red bob wig, and nobody recognized me, not even close friends! I guess I know what I have to do to enter witness protection, then. Another time, I was an extra in a movie, and when the movie came out, one of my friends said that she saw me in a scene that I wasn't even in! Turns out that in the scene she was talking about, there was an extra with very similar hair. Same color, similar texture, and close to the length I had at the time. I guess I've got a hair twin running around :p

Dark Rosaleen
May 6th, 2008, 07:46 AM
I think long hair is pretty, and I've always had a facination with fairy tales and the Middle Ages.

Orchidee
May 6th, 2008, 08:09 AM
I like how it looks feminine on women, but also looks powerful in some way on men.
Like others, I've been interested in medieval history too.
It just looks beautiful to me :)

saman
May 6th, 2008, 09:16 AM
I think everybody should try long hair once in life.If it wasn't good he/she can cut it.my hair was near shoulder length last year but I couldn't manage it well so I cut it.this time I've decided to grow it long and keep it in good condition.I use this site to learn more about having long and healthy hair and I've found this site very useful.I really like it.

<She>
May 6th, 2008, 10:13 AM
I too get recoginzed by people by my long hair. I think that maybe the reason behind my wish for it to be long is because I don't think I act enough feminine. I have been told that I act kind of unemotional and cold, so in some way my hair is an addition to the feminine image. But I also love to have it long because I don't look that good with shorter hair.

Haldir
May 7th, 2008, 12:47 PM
It's also VERY fun to headbang/windmill with longer hair... well, TBL at the most. Gets impossible when it's any longer than that :D

swanns
May 7th, 2008, 01:51 PM
It's also VERY fun to headbang/windmill with longer hair... well, TBL at the most. Gets impossible when it's any longer than that :D

Haha, yeah! :D I get always told to windmill at gigs and I'm like, are you serious, my neck'd die after the first round :D

Haldir
May 7th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Haha that's so true! I was windmilling with my sister for fun just now (her hair's shoulder-length) and I pretty much keeled over after half of the song and she was still going strong xD

DrkAngel
May 7th, 2008, 04:23 PM
I originally joined with what IRL is considered long hair (that is, BSL) and only cared for the haircare part. Shorlty after, I decided I wanted longer hair. I'm not sure when but I do know how.... you all here shared a view of society that challenged and redefined what is considered socially acceptable - and you did that through hair. What can I say, I was converted.

For now, I'm riding to tailbone, but I don't think classic and beyond would be doable for me. Maintenance-wise, that is. I'm really busy in life right now and I couldn't take good care of hair that long. I do love the look however, and seeing everyone's pics of knee-length healthy hair never ceases to amaze me. As the old saying goes "never say never", but right now I'm definitely not counting on it.

Katurday
May 7th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Short hair doesn't frame my face.
Long hair doesn't frame my face.
A bun, a twist, a braid...THAT frames my face.

Thats why, mostly.I love how there is a "wear your hair up for ____" challenge when I have wore it up for the majority of my life.(Except when it was shorter)

rockkcor
July 18th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Perhaps because it is rebellious for a man to have long hair...

Perhaps because having long hair makes you somehow more peaceful...

Because it is beautiful!

Because my ex asked me to grow it!

Because I can’t ask of a girlfriend to grow long hair unless I can do the same for her!

DiyaC
July 19th, 2008, 11:05 AM
I like long hair. It makes everyone look good. I've never ever been able to grow my hair long, so this time I've taken it up as a challenge. That's another reason.

Alethia
July 19th, 2008, 03:17 PM
I grew my hair long partly because I'm lazy and can't be bothered getting it regularly cut/styled, and partly because I like the way it looks and I can do different things with it to stop me getting bored.

nostalgic
July 20th, 2008, 09:19 PM
ever since i was little (4 or 5) i begged my mom to let me cut my hair and i eventually got one of those 80's "pixie" cuts. thus began the grow cut grow cut cycle. i think i was bored and in search of the perfect short hair cut: i've had my hair as short as an inch and mostly kept it between jaw and chin length with a couple of long spurts (sophomore year of hs and junior year of college). Ironically every time i would reflect on my hair, it would be back to the 'long times.' recently i've been trying to take a healthier, more natural approach to my body in general and it helps that my dbf loves long hair and is really supportive of this long term goal. i have this image of just being able to let my hair fall down from a clip or sticks and i really, really want to be one of those brides with a classic updo!

chrissy-b
July 20th, 2008, 09:26 PM
I've had short hair for so long. It was TBL when I was a child and then between shoulders and waist through my teens, and through my entire twenties it was bald, pixie, or at the longest jaw length.

It's just time to for me to go long again.

WaimeaWahine
July 21st, 2008, 03:59 AM
Thought process brought about by trauma:
1. Time to get the usual haircut (Demi in Ghost). So expensive to go to a salon. So annoying to DIY.
2. The "surfer shag/mop" is cute... Oh the pageboy is cute... Not very healthy looking but let's see...
3. Now it's longer than at any other time in my life and it's not even that long? ;)

It doesn't make me feel more feminine. It doesn't make men feel more feminine when they have it. :hmm: Actually, I find having my hair long rather annoying, but, anything other than what I used to be is preferrable.

Always at the back of my brain is something someone told me that cutting hair is a form of self-harm. I sorta agree. :eyebrows:

Scrofula
July 21st, 2008, 04:46 AM
The cost of a hairdresser appointment every 4 weeks to keep the short style looking good is a massive incentive for me to grow, but ultimately long hair suits me and I like it!

Anathema
July 21st, 2008, 04:50 AM
Long hair is feminine and pretty. I pretty much got my long hair by mistake though since I never had a goal to get it to a certain length.

morgwn
July 21st, 2008, 05:07 AM
I had short hair for a number of years and that was enough. I'd like now to go back to the long hair I used to have back when I was 10 to 12. I loved it back then and used to only cut it when I was younger because my mum said it looked too thin and others said short and curly looked better. I loved the ease of dealing with short hair but now that I've learned all of these updos I found that putting my hair up is even faster than styling short hair. And now I find that my hair looks thicker than it did when I was younger and I also am much more comfortable with my hair. So I just see no problems with having long hair anymore and I love the feeling of hair brushing along my back. :)

rapunzhell13
July 21st, 2008, 05:52 AM
My main reason for growing my hair long is the convenience of self-trimming. I never got around to the monthly appointments that were necessary for keeping my pixie sharp.

Arctic_Mama
April 24th, 2009, 01:00 AM
I like it.

Really, it's that simple for me. I can do it, hubby and I think it is attractive, and it suits me. Long princess hair has always been part of my conception of beauty.

Flynn
April 24th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Couldn't afford to keep it short.

marzipanthecat
April 24th, 2009, 01:10 AM
I just wanted to see how long it could get!

(This could go on for YEARS!)

Natalia
April 24th, 2009, 01:50 AM
For me there has always been something sensual but playful and fun about long hair. Lol its a multitasker :p. I cant explain all of it but ive had a "thing" for long hair since i was 5 and said i wasnt going to let people cut my hair off anymore.

ravenreed
April 24th, 2009, 02:11 AM
Mostly to be different.

Aditi
April 24th, 2009, 02:17 AM
The same reason goes for me too. My distant relatives does not remember me by my name but by my HAIR, so my hair have become the most important part of my identity.

Seraphina
April 24th, 2009, 02:26 AM
It makes me feel in control of myself.

Nastacia
April 24th, 2009, 07:48 AM
I never had short hair.
It's a nice feel when you know you are different and you take care with what you've got and others don't, it's enough for me to imagine what my classmates will end up as "hair" in a few years, yes it's horrible but it makes me smile. :o
I try to give advice to some people, but others don't bother to listen, too bad !

jay0
April 24th, 2009, 08:00 AM
I have long hair because I don't like to keep up with what is considered "fashionable", which is usually short hair for guys. I suppose I just like being different from most other guys. Also, I save money by going longer between haircuts.

losgan
April 24th, 2009, 08:06 AM
I think the color of my hair shows prettier when it is longer ... and I like all the variety of "do-s" that can be done with long hair (not to mention the toys!).

GeoJ
April 24th, 2009, 08:26 AM
I had short hair for most of my childhood, but when I got older and started to care about my appearance I grew it longer (my face structure doesn't look good with short hair). During my teens it hovered between collarbone and BSL, then I got busy and suddenly noticed it was at waist. After that I just let it keep growing because I like having it long.

For my adult life it has always been between hip and mid-thigh, but I am only now really learning how best to care for it.

dorkfish
April 24th, 2009, 08:35 AM
I think long hair on a woman is beautiful!! In today's world, hairstyles change so much that long hair is unique. My daughter's have long hair as well and people will stop and just want to touch their hair. People say my oldest daughter has "an old soul", I agree.

JamieLeigh
April 24th, 2009, 08:36 AM
My hair has always been long - I guess I always associated it with beauty and grace (...which is funny because having my hair long makes me actually LESS graceful, especially when it gets caught in things...:rolleyes:), and I wanted to look like a princess. These days, I just like the look and feel of it, and I love being able to stand out in a crowd. I love NOT being a fashion sheep! I love the compliments and attention I get (just being honest! :pinktongue:), and I love how much more versatility long hair gives than short hair. I also have always loved braids, and you can't braid short hair and pin it up!

And recently I've learned to love hair sticks, which is another reason to keep it long! :D

Nera
April 24th, 2009, 09:20 AM
I'm obsessed with the growth of my hair! Just to see it changeing, is so fascinating(: