PDA

View Full Version : What my mum thinks of my hair

chopandchange
January 14th, 2011, 12:44 PM
My mum has noticed how long my hair is getting (by non-LHC standards).

When I was combing it, she admired how long it was getting and said I was like Repunzel. (sp?) :)

But she hates me wearing it in two plaits. :(

She thinks it looks nice when I wear it up...:)

But she says she doesn't like it when I wear it in that "long plait" (which is in fact a banded ponytail, and one of my favourite styles at the moment). :(

What do your mums think of your hair?

AleenaGenise
January 14th, 2011, 12:51 PM
My mom really likes my hair....she has noticed that it's gotten very long....of course my hair is really curly so it shrinks up so nobody knows how long it really is haha....so she'll come and pull at my curls in the back to see how long it's gotten....anyway she likes my hair so much that now she's trying to style hers like mine...however...she really wants me to straighten my hair so everyone can see how long it is :( I dnt wnt to do that right now....

Loreley
January 14th, 2011, 01:04 PM
My mum isn't interested in my hair at all. She wouldn't care if I wanted to cut it. Sometimes she says I should do it because I use too much shampoo, conditioner and water. She hates that I wash it often (every 3 days). I was ill last week and couldn't wash my hair for almost a week. When I finally went to the bathroom to do it I met her in the kitchen and she asked: "You want to wash your hair again, eh?" :steam:justy:
My grandmas are also interesting. My maternal grandmother always tells me not to cut it, she likes it long. My other grandma keeps saying that I should cut it to shoulder length because it would be easier to take care of. :rolleyes:

Dragon
January 14th, 2011, 01:36 PM
I’m not sure what my Mum thinks of my hair. I know she doesn’t like that I don’t let her trim it any more, or should I say give it a hair cut as she always takes so much more then I want off.

TinaDenali
January 14th, 2011, 01:38 PM
My mom likes my hair okay, I think. I think sometimes she'd rather it was a bit shorter, though. But she often compliments me on it.

leoninnu
January 14th, 2011, 01:42 PM
My mom wants me to have a short hair and some other colour than my natural red, something more subdued. Thankfully I live so far away that I don't have to visit her too often but when I do she looks at my hair with a look of disdain in her face and always has a snappy remark about it, it's condition, lenght and colour and if there's someone else around she takes this irritating apologetic tone, because she's soooo ashamed for her daughter who's trying to be this individualistic person who stands apart from the rest. I've learned to not tell her if I've coloured or am planning to colour because all she ever says is this shocked "NO!". ETA: Dye to more red or orange that is, I don't do other colours :D /ETA

I really don't understand what it is about my hair that is so damn important to her. She herself has a shoulder lenght hair that is very thin and brittle from all the bleach damage she has put it through. I guess she hates the red tones that much for some reason o.o

sugarpixie10988
January 14th, 2011, 01:42 PM
My mom prefers my hair about shoulder to chin length, she thinks it's cuter. Every time I ever cut it that short though, I regret it :p. She also doesn't like that I dye it pink sometimes, but she's learned to deal with it.

CurlySoleil
January 14th, 2011, 01:50 PM
My mom is okay with it... now. Haha! When I did my big chop she was not a fan. No one on my mom's side of the family really liked it. My mom just couldn't believe I'd "chopped off all that pretty hair." My hair wasn't even that long (maybe just a couple inches longer than it is now) and it was breaking/thinning from being chemically relaxed. The last time I visited her, though, she was shocked at how much my hair has grown and how curly it is. She even mentioned something about me having "good hair". I really hate that term soooo much, but I knew she meant it as a compliment so I didn't lecture her! LOL.

Ishje
January 14th, 2011, 01:50 PM
My other grandma keeps saying that I should cut it to shoulder length because it would be easier to take care of. :rolleyes:

Funny, I find my hair way more easy to take care of now it is longer XD

my mom likes my hair, don't know if it matters though, she usually likes everything I do XD
hair wise or clothes wise I mean, some other actions she likes less XD

CurlySoleil
January 14th, 2011, 01:52 PM
My mom prefers my hair about shoulder to chin length, she thinks it's cuter. Every time I ever cut it that short though, I regret it :p. She also doesn't like that I dye it pink sometimes, but she's learned to deal with it.

I think the pink is cute! It's very anime in my opinion. (That's a compliment because I love anime and the styles inspired by it!) :)

Tia2010
January 14th, 2011, 02:41 PM
My mom doesn't care what lenght I keep it , but she likes it best when it looks very wavy and when it's my natural color , or atleast close to it ;) ( she has always loved my natural color :))

hayesa
January 14th, 2011, 02:53 PM
My mum can't stand my hair. Her's is short, straight, dyed and needs product to sort it out (although it really suits her). Mine is long, curly, virgin and wouldn't know what hairspray looks like. She's always on at me to get it cut.

Still, I like it. :)

chopandchange
January 14th, 2011, 02:55 PM
My mum can't stand my hair. Her's is short, straight, dyed and needs product to sort it out (although it really suits her). Mine is long, curly, virgin and wouldn't know what hairspray looks like. She's always on at me to get it cut.

Still, I like it. :)

Maybe that's why my mum doesn't always like mine being long.

Hers is short, too.

taliarose
January 14th, 2011, 02:58 PM
My mother had mid-waist hair most of my life. She chopped it to shoulder about ten years ago and now keeps telling me I should cut mine. She's not as bad as my sister who's been telling me to cut since college. :rolleyes:

Organic
January 14th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Mine was almost waist length in High school. Mom took me to get it trimmed and it was cut to a pixie. Mom had ordered it. When my sister who had even longer hair began to cry, the woman was SO apologetic. Mom had long curly hair. After I was born she chopped it all off and has had short hair ever since. For some reason she thinks short hair is a sign of independence toward men.

My husband loves my long hair...if anything it enslaves him... not the other way around.

I grew my hair out after the short boy cut ... and it has been long ever since. Mom is always harping that it needs to be cut. She cuts her own hair. It looks chopped off. I am dying to take her to get it cut by some one who can do a beautiful job. But....I am growing mine till I can sit on it. I almost had it there and then layered it due to her pressure. Tomorrow I am getting highlights in the dark brown dye and then letting it grow into it's natural gray...a Renegray I am . Mom says I will look like a hag... I laugh..no hag here. I cannot wait till it is gray once I made the decision the week before Christmas.

I am a 56 year old body builder . I leg press 500 pounds. I do 100 push ups a day. I don't think I will look haggish. Mom is 75..still in decent shape too. With fuzzy bleached hair that looks like a wad of cotton stuck on her head. No way do I want that! I love the flowing silver I see here on the Renegrays of this site.

ETA: taliarose...you have the most striking hair I have ever seen. I hope you don't listen to your mother.

chopandchange
January 14th, 2011, 03:14 PM
For some reason she thinks short hair is a sign of independence toward men.

That's true. It's in the Bible. Not independence, but rebellion against their authority.

Organic
January 14th, 2011, 03:18 PM
taliarose...you have the most striking hair I have ever seen. I hope you don't listen to your mother.

I should have listened to my heart and not cut mine.

My husband would never enforce my long hair. He absolutely loves it. He would cry if I cut it. I happen to love it that way. He has said..."do what ever you want...but I love the way your hair looks long". I also like it when he holds my coat for me and pulls my hair up and out of my collar and smooths it down my back. If I cut it, that would never happen again.

Dyefree
January 14th, 2011, 03:50 PM
My mum really doesn't like my natural hair. :(

My hair is dark and wavy/curly andshe hates it in it's natural state. She comments almost daily that I should lighten (bleach) and straighten my hair..... She also hates my dark natural root colour.... And asks me to get rid of them..... Somehow.

Sigh.

It does get me down, but I've been 'natural' so to speak, for 3 months now... So I'm not quitting at this point... :o

Vorvolaka
January 14th, 2011, 03:55 PM
My mother likes the length but thinks I should go no longer than BSL, which is getting oh so close. She is also on at me to dye it as the red is getting a bit patchy and I have 1 inch blonde roots with a couple of greys thrown in for good measure.

Little does she know that I plan to just keep growing, possibly to terminal, and the I am swearing off the dye completely!

Merlin
January 14th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Hers is short, too.

Shouldn't that be....

her's

:p

getoffmyskittle
January 14th, 2011, 03:59 PM
My mom thinks I'm too obsessed with it, but she thinks it's pretty and doesn't want me to cut. :) She also never wants me to dye it or do anything to it, heh...

MissManda
January 14th, 2011, 04:15 PM
My mom and I never really got along super well. She doesn't like the fact that my hair is so thick (by day-to-day/normal standards), but she does like my hair long because it is straight like hers. I haven't gotten any recent comments about my hair from her, however.

My dad's mom doesn't like my hair at all because it's fine-ish, thick, and straight. She used to badger me non-stop about how horrible she thinks my hair is. It eventually got to me and I started to believe it and I'm still working hard on getting thoughts like that out of my system.

I don't know what my mom's mom thinks of my hair. I remember she put my hair in rag curlers once (I think I was 5 or 6) and I had wurly hair for a few days afterward. :D I don't ever remember her disliking it and that's good enough for me.

I don't know what my DBF's mom thinks of my hair. I remember that she assumed I had thin hair until I showed her otherwise. XD She seems indifferent to it, I guess, although the last time I visited she really liked the fiarytale braid that I was wearing, so that makes me happy.

missfortune9335
January 14th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Ahhh moms and their daughter's hair.... alot of mom's have a definite idea of how their daughter's hair should look. When I was in high school I had bleach blonde APL length hair tht I curled all the time. It looked nice, yes, but it was very damaging and also it's just not "me" anymore. (I'm 32 now) But even though it's been many, many years since my hair has been platinum blonde my mom still asks me with a look of nostalgia in her eye "when are you going to dye your hair blonde again? I just love your blonde hair"

LovelyL
January 14th, 2011, 04:57 PM
My mum has distinctly wavy quite coarse hair (mmh not that I know much about wavy hair classification but maybe a 2c? because it doesn't really spiral). Now she had forever had battles with her mother when she was growing up because she wanted to get a bit more length to give her hair more weight, but grandma insisted on cutting it short. So mum always ended up with hair sticking up in all directions and *hated* it.

This and many other battles means her parenting style is very much "I will not be like my own mother". So she tries to encourage with compliments and praise what she does like, and tries to shut up if she doesn't like. This has kinda lead to some situations where I read too much disapproval into silence! But bless her, even though she's not keen my DBF, she won't harp on about it. As to my hair, she's made comments about how long it's getting, but knows it's my business and hasn't really made any value judgement at all.

chopandchange
January 14th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Shouldn't that be....

her's

:p

Um, no. Cough, splutter, cough. It's a possessive pronoun (if my memory serves me correctly). It doesn't take an apostrophe. :p

But then, maybe you already knew that, and are just trying to bait me. :D

lingxi
January 14th, 2011, 08:12 PM
She's been noticing I'm growing it out..."o your hair is getting long!" And mum had hair down to her tailbone when she was younger so she just wants to see if I'll beat her :)

Vani1902
January 14th, 2011, 08:15 PM
My mum really doesn't like my natural hair. :(

My hair is dark and wavy/curly andshe hates it in it's natural state. She comments almost daily that I should lighten (bleach) and straighten my hair..... She also hates my dark natural root colour.... And asks me to get rid of them..... Somehow.

Sigh.

It does get me down, but I've been 'natural' so to speak, for 3 months now... So I'm not quitting at this point... :o
Don't quit. Stay strong. :) At the end of the day, it's your hair and she has to respect your choices. My mom also used to suggest that I dye my hair. I ignore her. I have learned to accept that we both have different visions in regards to beauty and hair.

Anywhere
January 14th, 2011, 08:18 PM
My mom wants to trim off my "dead, split ends" but otherwise thinks its nice. She always mentions that she thinks it looks prettiest when its straightened. Does that make it ugly naturally? Gee, thanks mom. :rolleyes:

azhie
January 14th, 2011, 09:46 PM
My mom kept my hair shoulder-length when I was growing up. Something about my grandmother (her MIL) disliking young girls with long hair.

When I moved out I grew my hair long. Back then she always said I should have it done in a trendier style, shorter with layers, blowdrying, etc. I do admit my hair is flat and volumeless, so it doesn't look good down. Then due to too much damage I shaved it, and that didn't go over too well with anybody.

Now she thinks my hair is uselessly long. She is adamant I cut my hair before I deliver. Traditional post-partum rules involve 6 weeks of no hair washing. I disagreed (of course). Then she said my hair was sucking up vitamins from the baby. lol. Still an ongoing disagreement!

squintinschool
January 14th, 2011, 09:56 PM
She always mentions that she thinks it looks prettiest when its straightened. Does that make it ugly naturally? Gee, thanks mom. :rolleyes:

Are you sure we're not sisters? My mom says the exact same thing. As well as the fact that my shoulder/APL hair is getting too long. And don't even start with what happened when she found a grey section on my head - she wanted to cut it out or dye my hair!! I personally love my waves, and I want more length because I want to be able to do more braids. So I'm ignoring her.

2peasinapod
January 14th, 2011, 10:00 PM
sucking up vitamins from the baby. lol. Still an ongoing disagreement!

:bigeyes: That's a new one.

My mom didn't like my hair as I was growing it out. My hair is wavy, so it took a while for my hair to not look so funky. Even at shoulder length, my waves weren't all an even length. I personally loved it, but she always wanted to comb them smooth.

When I started to approach APL, she started saying it looked nice. Now, she likes it! :D

It's been interesting to read all these replies. What is it about mothers and hair?

GRU
January 14th, 2011, 10:04 PM
My mother hasn't seen my hair in nine years... I'm guessing she doesn't give a poop! :lol:

starlights
January 14th, 2011, 10:04 PM
I'm not sure what mum thinks of my hair, but whenever it grows to a decent length i do show her and she looks kind of proud im making an effort to grow lush hair.

Merlin
January 15th, 2011, 02:21 AM
Um, no. Cough, splutter, cough. It's a possessive pronoun (if my memory serves me correctly). It doesn't take an apostrophe. :p

But then, maybe you already knew that, and are just trying to bait me. :D

Its funny how English has never resolved it's ambiguities...

:p:p

rena
January 15th, 2011, 03:43 AM
My mom is one of my inspirations :) She has hair creeping down to her waist and I always feel jealous about it, but try to remember that mine will grow too.

I guess my mom likes my hair. She really thinks its pretty how it does this flip at the very tips while at its current length. I know she likes the color in the sunlight; like tinsel she says.

I suppose she's okay with it. Not particularly crazy about it, but doesn't dislike it. She fully supports my endeavor to grow it long or whatever else I choose to do to it, which I'm thankful for. I do find it a bit annoying how when I complain about something hair-related, she's a bit too quick to suggest dying it or changing it in some way instead of encouraging my real hair, but then again, my mom could care less about her own hair so what could I expect?

sneakybea
January 15th, 2011, 06:25 PM
My mom always teases me about my hair, threatening to cut it, but always in a joking manner. I'm never quite sure if she really doesn't like it, or if she's just trying to get under my skin. However, when she was twelve (and I'm sure I've told this story here before) she had never cut her hair before, and she asked her mother if she could cut it. My grandma said yes, but then when my mother did get her hair cut, my grandmother didn't speak to her for three days. So I'm thinking she may have some bad associations with long hair because of that.

My grandmother also had very long hair that was thinning terribly at the end of her life; my mom may also be thinking my long hair will end up looking like that as well, especially now that I'm getting gray. I really, really hope that won't happen, but if it did, that's one of the few things I think could motivate me to cut my hair short.

Dani
January 15th, 2011, 06:38 PM
I have no clue what my mother thinks of my hair.. I haven't seen her in years. But I have a daughter who has beautiful hair, and she can and will always be able to do whatever she wants with it. She'll always have my support in whoever and whatever she wants to be. :D I don't understand moms/dads who want their kids to be a certain way, or be like them, or whatever it is.. I just don't get it. Maybe it's an old school thing, or.. I really don't know! But I do know that I'm not like that, and don't ever plan to be. :p I am always all for everyone being exactly what they are, and doing what makes them happy. :grnbiggri

jaine
January 15th, 2011, 06:44 PM
I don't think my mom has commented on my hair in recent history...she probably has more important things to think about than my hair! :)
I think hers is thick and lovely and I'm happy she's not coloring it and happy that she lets me braid it when I visit.

MandaMom2Three
January 15th, 2011, 06:45 PM
My mom tells me to cut it every time I see her :(. Nothing nice to say about it at all :(. I don't know why, she just has to say something negative no matter WHAT I do. If it's long she tells me to cut it, if I cut it she just finds something else negative to say. Oh well, I love it and that's enough for me!

Avvoltoio
January 15th, 2011, 06:56 PM
My mother hate my hair, she would like to see me with short hair, but i don't care about her opinion about hair :)

Second Growth
January 15th, 2011, 07:21 PM
My mother, who passed away 10 years ago, hated my hair long. She had no end of complaints that I "dripped hair pins" when it was up, that it was "just hanging there" when it was down. If it was down, she told me it should be up. If it was up she told me it should be down. I couldn't win. Eventually I cut it. Then for many years I wore it short and finally, after 30 years, when I began having dreams that my long hair was back I have begun letting it grow again. I am really pleased with it getting longer all the time and enjoy wearing it up again.
Second Growth

Blandine
January 15th, 2011, 07:26 PM
My mother dies 20 years ago so I'll never know what she'd say about my now beyond-waist-long hair, but I am *almost* sure she would not like it. She kept talking me into wearing it short during my childhood and youth because it is much more "practical" (is it? I am not so sure any more). Looks did not count, we were both ugly anyway...

My long hair has something to do with overcoming mom's influence, yes it has. But that is not the only reason for me to grow my hair long.

Lil Red Vampire
January 15th, 2011, 07:32 PM
My mom thinks I am too "old" to wear my hair this long. It is bra strap length, reddish brown, very thick and healthy with long layers. I always get compliments on my hair but she says people are just being "nice".....LOL..

All of this comes from a woman whose hair looks like a giant football helmut because she wears ear muffs to cover her hearing aids. I am so glad I don't take advice from her.

Yasmine91
January 15th, 2011, 07:32 PM
My mother always has something to complain about my hair. 'It's too dry', 'it looks funny', 'wear it all back, don't leave it down'. It never stops.

She used to be the one who controled what went into my hair, who washed it, decided what hair style it should be in. Ever since I started looking after it myself, she has never said anything nice about it.

Greenhousegirl
January 15th, 2011, 07:49 PM
My mom doesn't particularly care how long my hair is as long as I am happy.
she reminds me that when i was a kid and it was short that it was near impossible to brush. and shown me photographic evidence of why not to ever chop it off (funky curls).
She wont let me dye it. or bleach it. so I bleached the ends with the help of a friend and decided it wasn't blonde enough (going for platinum) and decided i didn't want to bleach all of my hair and left the ends alone. nearly all of that has been trimmed off by now.
she likes when i have it braided

pepperminttea
January 15th, 2011, 08:14 PM
I'm very lucky; my mother is my hair's greatest supporter. She always compliments me when I wear it down, even air-drying when it's stringy and tangled, and often comments kindly on updos and new hairtoys too. :) She's not fazed by the idea of mine getting longer, and encourages me to stretch washes (it helps that she's environmentally-minded).

She had classic length hair (or thereabouts) in her youth, so I think she just 'gets it', but also there's a certain wistful nostalgia in it. She had her hair cut short before my eldest brother was born, after getting headaches that stopped post-chop, and hasn't worn it long since - it's currently in a half-grown-out long pixie (I trimmed the lowest layers, to 'de-mullet' it). I'm trying to encourage her to grow it out fully, since she has no end of nice things to say about mine, but she dismisses the idea saying hers isn't as nice, or "long hair's for the young" (pfft :p ). I'm sure the next time she gets a professional haircut she'll ask for her usual short style, but I don't like to push too hard, it's her hair after all, and I've already got her using a Tangle Teezer and shampoo bars. :D

teela1978
January 15th, 2011, 08:19 PM
My mom likes my hair long. Every time I've cut it short she's been upset about it. Since I've stopped dying she's stopped dying and now has lovely gray shoulder-length hair. After my last big trim/chop (took 4 inches off... hardly looks different though) she did mention that it had been getting a bit long. So I guess we're in agreement that a bit past waist is a good length on me!

rena
January 15th, 2011, 08:35 PM
I have no clue what my mother thinks of my hair.. I haven't seen her in years. But I have a daughter who has beautiful hair, and she can and will always be able to do whatever she wants with it. She'll always have my support in whoever and whatever she wants to be. :D I don't understand moms/dads who want their kids to be a certain way, or be like them, or whatever it is.. I just don't get it. Maybe it's an old school thing, or.. I really don't know! But I do know that I'm not like that, and don't ever plan to be. :p I am always all for everyone being exactly what they are, and doing what makes them happy. :grnbiggri

Your daughter and whoever else who has the pleasure of knowing you sure is lucky! I try to be this way too :)

krn2891
January 15th, 2011, 08:39 PM
She hates my long hair. When I was growing up she always kept my hair short, and sometimes she acts like its me rebelling against her to have long hair, even though she knows and acknowldges that I have wanted long hair since I could remember.

Jenn of Pence
January 15th, 2011, 10:21 PM
I've had long hair most of my life, except for the one time I chopped it to a bob at 13 and immediately regretted it; I immediately grew it back out.

Mom has made various comments about my hair throughout my life, though less recently that I can think of. She doesn't really complain about it being long, I guess since she's used to it. In the past, she has wanted it "poofier;" maybe that went the way of the 80's and 90's. ;) She always encouraged me to get trims, even when I didn't want them. That's probably because I wasn't paying any attention to my hair and my ends constantly looked fried due to buildup and/or lack of moisture (mom was also the one to tell me not to over-condition, I suppose to keep it from looking "greasy" and even flatter?? :shrug:). Of course, regardless of all of that, when I was dumb and got plastic toothed curlers completely tangled up in my hair (why did we have those in the house in the first place???), she and dad sat me down in the kitchen and worked meticulously for hours to try to extract them with as little damage as possible. Although a substantial trim was unavoidable, they did go out of their way to preserve my length that I was so fond of.

Now that I'm almost 30, live 1000 miles away, and am taking better care of it, I suppose she has less opportunity to complain and hopefully less to complain about. We'll see if there are any comments as it gets longer than its ever been. I don't think she'll mind too much, or if she does she probably will just shrug it off. I'm sure there are many more important things in our relationship we'd like to focus on than something like that. :)

boudica
January 16th, 2011, 12:01 AM
My mom always wanted me to have a Dorothy Hamill dreadful.

She and I had very different ideas of what hair should look like, but I remember when I was seventeen she signalled her acceptance of my desire for long hair and my refusal to believe that the only way to grow it long was to cut six inches off of it by taking me to a hairdresser who candled my hair.

This is a process whereby sections of hair are twisted so that the ends stick out and a candle is run quickly underneath it to burn off the ends.

It was terrific! I did it to myself once. Haven't had the nerve to do it again.

He said that it was an old technique for european hair.

Bless her. I miss her.

Othala
January 16th, 2011, 02:47 AM
My mother wants me to have short hair - she hates long hair on me and on any female. It is a cultural and social status thing with her.