PDA

View Full Version : Satin bonnet with built in growth treatment?Are their harmful effects?

Magicknthenight
June 7th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Ive been wanting to protect my hair more and have heard a thousand times the satin pillow cases help with friction on the hair at night. So i was at walmart the other day and i had to go look at the hair stuff like i always do :o and i saw they had satin caps. I thought it would be convenient, portable, and i wouldnt have to get a new pillow case. So i saw one that said "with built in growth treatment" and so i bought it. Then when i got home i read it "repairs, rebonds, and rebuilds" hair. Well..i didnt want a bunch of rebuilding or anything i just wanted some protection :hmm:.
Then the back said "our luxurious satin fabric is impregnated with an anti-breakage growth treatment using a special pressure and vapor process. The result is dry and non greasy. Special active ingredients are released by natural body heat and the gentle action of your hair against the smooth satin material" Well that sounded all fine and good but when i got home..i naturally googled it (as i do pretty much everything) and found the site and it said "the active ingredient is sodium hyrdroxide-more commonly known as lye". Well i was just wondering if that ingredent causes any harm to my hair? should i just go back and get the regular silk one?:?
the site- http://www.triplegro.com/faq.html

-sorry about any words spelled wrong. My computer won't let me download the spell check :confused:

manderly
June 7th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Isn't lye usually seen in hair relaxers? I have no idea what it could do to or for your hair, I've seen these in Walmart too, but never paid enough attention to realize they are anything more than a bonnet.

I can't imagine they would be in business if they made your hair fall out or anything though. And I'm guessing that a few hot washes in your machine would wash out most of anything "impregnated" into it.

Magicknthenight
June 7th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Yea i thought the wording was interesting too haha
hm yea thats a good idea. how do you wash satin? i usially wash my clothes in cold water but do you think hot water would get any ingredients out? thanks a bunch already!

missmanytoes
June 7th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Couldn't tell you one way or another about that product, but these http://stayonsatin.com/satindetail.html are great. I've used the drawstring one and it was OK, but kinda weird feeling like a shower cap. Then I got my paws on their model 3999. Love, love, LOVE that one.

MotherConfessor
June 7th, 2008, 09:05 PM
I have one and i have noticed no ill effect on my curls. I believe they are for black women and (from what little I know about african american hair) that they lye relaxers would be a good thing. But as I said, I use them and they work pretty well.

manderly
June 7th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Couldn't tell you one way or another about that product, but these http://stayonsatin.com/satindetail.html are great. I've used the drawstring one and it was OK, but kinda weird feeling like a shower cap. Then I got my paws on their model 3999. Love, love, LOVE that one.

I have the drawstring one too! I HATE it! Soooo weird feeling. Plus, it falls off anyways :rolleyes:

I wish I could find some of the other styles, but that was the only one Walmart had. The 3999 looks awesome!

missmanytoes
June 7th, 2008, 11:22 PM
@ manderly: ebay is your friend - although you should watch out for leesbeautysupply - I ordered 4 and got 4 but in different colors than I wanted. Anyone want a pink pocket bonnet? :deal: