View Full Version : Feeling guilty .. but feeling like it's the only solution !

Alexannee10
January 14th, 2011, 08:20 AM
Hi everyone :) (sorry for my english:rolleyes: )
To make short a long story, since maybe a year or two, I keep changing my hair color, just because I can't find which fits the best on me. I liked the dark brown (henna), the dark red and even the black, but I always have my roots lighter than my lenghts, and it annoys me ! And I think I should go to the hairdresser. and stop trying to repare by myself. It's been like four years that I never went to the hairdresser, and I feel like it's the only solution right now .. I'm going to a consultation this afternoon, to see if he cans bleach my hair back to light brown / dark blonde. I'm very scared about the damages :( and I don't want to be obligated to cut my hair BSL since it tooks me everything to reach waist. I'm feeling really guilty right now. And I need cheers :cheese: (or cheese, doesn't matter.)

So. Should I go back to a lighter color, or will it ruins my hair ?

dropinthebucket
January 14th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Did you use any indigo to get the brown, or just henna?

UltraBella
January 14th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Very important question !!

turquoisebud
January 14th, 2011, 08:33 AM
I really don't know anything about dying but here is some cheers :cheer: and some cheese :cheese:! :laugh:

Heartwillfollow
January 14th, 2011, 08:40 AM
sending good thoughts that your consultation goes well.... :)

Alexannee10
January 14th, 2011, 08:51 AM

Only henna, no indigo ! I used LUSH caca brun ..

And here's my hair right now .. With the daylight, we can easily see the diffrent colors. Urg. :mad:
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/5294/img1007il.th.jpg (http://img21.imageshack.us/i/img1007il.jpg/)
(clickable)

Pierre
January 14th, 2011, 08:56 AM
If you like the condition henna gives you, and want to keep your length, but don't like the color, I suggest you dilute it with cassia rather than trying to bleach it out. I suspect (but haven't tried it; me, I like my hennaed color) that chrysophanic acid (in cassia) can displace lawsone (they're similar molecules, but chrysophanic acid has three rings to lawsone's two) in the hair. Bleaching will destroy the hair before the henna is out, and it turns indigo green.

ETA: Caca Brun contains indigo, as do the other colors except Caca Rouge.

Alexannee10
January 14th, 2011, 09:01 AM
Bleaching will destroy the hair before the henna is out, and it turns indigo green.

Glup :s ! I don't want this to happen !

Varney
January 14th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Since henna in it self only dye red you have used indigo too. Lush caca brun is a combination of henna and indigo. But I don't see how that makes any difference.

How much damage it would cause your hair depends on what it takes to make it the colour you want. The problem is that when you bleach dark hair you automatically get a lot of red pigments, no matter if the darker colour was caused by ordinary dye or hendigo. If you do not want your hair to be red or redbrown. Maybe you can bleach it one time and then use katam to neutralize the red?

And by the way I have bleached my hair after using Lushs brown henna (or hendigo as it really is) and it went fine. No weird hair colors and no massive damage. It of course deends on how strong your hair is. Maybe you have the same problem I had? The hendigo didn't make my hair as dark as my former chemical hair colors did so the ends of my hair was a lot darker then the roots. So I bleached it and colored it with ordinary lightbrown dye to make all of the hair the same color. As I said, that made it more of a redbrown.

Alexannee10
January 14th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Thanks everyone :) ♥

MAO
January 14th, 2011, 09:25 AM
I bleached the henna out of my hair. Two separate sessions of stripping and my hair was STILL reddish. You can look in my albums under hair disaster :p. She could not get my hair to blonde! We wound up dying it brown. But of course regular hair dye doesn't stick well to my hair after being bleached. :(

Lianna
January 14th, 2011, 09:27 AM
I don't there's a way to tell if your hair will be damaged or not. But lots of people bleach out their henna. I did, but only to the shade I'm now, see avatar. I don't have damage, but the bleach was only in my hair for 5-10 minutes, was enough to lighten to a caramel shade.

ETA: I had about 5 layers of henna, was pretty red (orangey red) but wasn't that much saturated I think (like you find some members here).

Artsy
January 14th, 2011, 09:36 AM
Hi there, I have tried putting in highlights after just 2 Lush Caca brown experiments, my colour was a light brown at that point. I have let the Lush Caca fade for several month before that. My ends turned green with light bleach. Before I have tried bleach, I tried sun-in, which lightened my hair slightly. You can also try honey lightening before you do something drastic. At the end of the experiment I have gone back to Lush Caca for a bit. The roots were not a big problem for me, the colour was very close to my own. I did not like their brown on me too much. I have switched to pure henna/indigo and my results are much richer colour, but the coverage is better without the butters etc that Lush adds. The root coverage is much better.
Just something to think about before going to the hairdresser who might have to cut your length by a lot because of henna.
Good luck

prosperina
January 14th, 2011, 09:42 AM
You know, I realize you want a change and want to go back to natural, but your hair looks really cool as is. :)

What is your natural color again? You might just start using ligher henna/cassia or henna/indigo mixes to slowly transition to your natural color. I can see why it's not desirable and you might be sick of it, but I think the changes in color along the length look neat.

ScarlettAdelle
January 14th, 2011, 10:20 AM
if you're worried about anything, request a strand test. He'll cut a few hairs (about 100 or so. Completely unnoticable) and apply the color and you and he will be able to see the reactiom (or hopefully lack thereof, sometimes henna and salon color don't get along) between the henna / indigo and his specific color line, as well as get n idea of how the color will turn out

Toadstool
January 14th, 2011, 10:37 AM
I put bleach on my hennaed hair for an hour and it melted off. It had had numerous other chemical dyes done previously. I just want to warn you to be careful. Good luck. I think a hairdresser wioll hopefully be very careful and monitor what's happening.

Alexannee10
January 14th, 2011, 11:18 AM
I just arrived from the hairdresser, and he did a strand test ! (?) I'll have news about that tomorrow.

Lianna
January 14th, 2011, 11:28 AM
I put bleach on my hennaed hair for an hour and it melted off. It had had numerous other chemical dyes done previously. I just want to warn you to be careful. Good luck. I think a hairdresser wioll hopefully be very careful and monitor what's happening.

Every bleach product I've bought had warnings about never going over 50 minutes. I'm sorry your hair melted.