PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Question - Translucent Hair

cataphract
January 13th, 2011, 11:24 PM
So, I'm sitting here, listening to music and holding up my hair against the computer monitor so it's back lit, when I notice that it's translucent! I can see individual hairs and where they cross eachother.

Is this just because my hair is at the lighter end of the spectrum, maybe? Or is all hair like that?

Testing my dog's hair under the same conditions, it seems his is opaque, lol, but I'm not sure that's a fair test since I have no canine blood...;)

Lianna
January 13th, 2011, 11:30 PM
I think that's just how fine hair is. :)

pepperminttea
January 13th, 2011, 11:47 PM
Ditto Lianna. Some of my strands, held up to the light, are the same way. :)

cataphract
January 13th, 2011, 11:48 PM
Good enough for me! :)

Igor
January 14th, 2011, 12:48 AM
Human hair isn’t “solid” or coloured all the way through. Hair consists of many, many layers sort of like skin (Know how you can peel the top layer of a blister and still have skin under it? Yea, that)
The middle part of hair is where the majority of melanin (Which gives hair its colour) is deposited and the outer layers lets the colour “shine” through (Like you can see your veins under skin) but the majority of the hair strand is more or less see-through

milagro
January 14th, 2011, 01:42 AM
I think that's just how fine hair is. :)

Donno. mine is not fine except along the hairline, and it is like that as well. I didn't look at it against a monitor but it is very obvious in sun light.

Katze
January 14th, 2011, 03:17 AM
most of my hair is like that too. Only the occasional super wiry, super curly hairs I have coming in after pregnancy actually have color to them when held up to a background...

Lianna
January 14th, 2011, 10:16 AM
Donno. mine is not fine except along the hairline, and it is like that as well. I didn't look at it against a monitor but it is very obvious in sun light.

My statement was based in this LHC article on how to type hair.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=5

cmnt831
January 14th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Most of my hair is translucent, too, except for a few wiry strands on top of my head.

Anje
January 14th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Most of mine are translucent too, except for the occasional fat dark coarse strand.

Anywhere
January 14th, 2011, 11:20 AM
I have translucent hair as well. :ponder: