PDA

View Full Version : Is this the right coconut oil?

Kherome
January 13th, 2011, 05:23 PM
I'm looking to order some coconut oil to try on my hair but I'm not sure what is good to use on the hair. Is this brand good or can someone link me to a good hair coconut oil? Thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/Spectrum-Naturals-Coconut-Unrefined-liquid/dp/B000AN36I0/ref=pd_sim_hpc_3

Nae
January 13th, 2011, 05:37 PM
That looks like a perfectly good brand to me! I personally use Nutiva http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EO5Q64/ref=s9_simh_gw_p121_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=00RAT9DM26NCB2TPE76F&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846 But I will tell you, that is only because they had it at my local health food store when I happened to stop by. I would personally recommend buying a smallish size because it takes a while to go through it.

Kherome
January 13th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Thanks! I just don't want to get the wrong stuff and mess up my hair. Does it smell like coconut?

That looks like a perfectly good brand to me! I personally use Nutiva http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EO5Q64/ref=s9_simh_gw_p121_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=00RAT9DM26NCB2TPE76F&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846 But I will tell you, that is only because they had it at my local health food store when I happened to stop by. I would personally recommend buying a smallish size because it takes a while to go through it.

Nae
January 13th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Thanks! I just don't want to get the wrong stuff and mess up my hair. Does it smell like coconut?

Yeah it does, and not fake perfumey coconut. It smells like the real stuff. :cloud9: I love the scent, if you aren't big on coconut smell there are some varieties that don't have the scent. I think both the one you linked and the one I use smell of coconutty goodness!

Mountaingrrl
January 13th, 2011, 06:26 PM
That's the stuff I use. I love it!

Kherome
January 13th, 2011, 06:28 PM
That's the stuff I use. I love it!

Which one, the spectrum or nutivia? And hello to another WIite!

monsterna
January 13th, 2011, 06:55 PM
I use that kind. Well, I have the refined one. Once I run out I'm getting unrefined, only because I want the coconut smell which isn't in the refined one.

Kherome
January 13th, 2011, 07:02 PM
I use that kind. Well, I have the refined one. Once I run out I'm getting unrefined, only because I want the coconut smell which isn't in the refined one.

Which kind? There are two types listed?

monsterna
January 13th, 2011, 09:40 PM
Which kind? There are two types listed?

The one you linked to is unrefined. I have the exact same brand, except mine is refined.

Go for the unrefined. It is better in general and does not lack a coconut scent.

Kherome
January 14th, 2011, 03:29 AM
Good to know. I wasn't sure what the difference between the refined and unrefined really was.

I went out today looking for some at a Sally, but all I could find was coconut hair oil that had like 15 ingredients. I just wanted pure, plain coconut oil and had no luck at all!

Mountaingrrl
January 14th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Which one, the spectrum or nutivia? And hello to another WIite!
I use the Spectrum. Good to meet ya!

Kherome
January 14th, 2011, 08:07 PM
Oh man the oil smells SO good. I love coconut smell. I tasted it out of curiosity, and sadly it doesn't taste like much haha...

Carolyn
January 14th, 2011, 08:16 PM
Go to the grocery store. You won't find it at Sallys. I bought Spectrum not to long ago at Hy Vee. I think I paid about $8 for it. Not sure if you have them in WI or not. It's a big chain of groceries in the midwest. My Walmart has LouAna coconut oil. You get a lot more for a lot less money. A health food store should also have it.

Kherome
January 14th, 2011, 08:18 PM
I ended up going to The Vitamin Shoppe. We don't have HyVee here, but they do by my Grammy in MN so I've seen them before.