PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Hair

Nicoliee
January 13th, 2011, 03:17 AM
If there is a thread about this I can't seem to find it. I have heavy hair. Not talking thick. Heavy. It won't hold curls very well or long at all. Only thing it will is perms. All the hairspray in the world doesn't help hold curls either! lol. My friend has that Freeze It hairspray and went on and on about how it was a miracle worker. Well she has thin hair. As far as individual hairs go. So yeah it works on her. I tried it and a tiny bit stayed but 98% did not. Any advice to help curls hold? When my other friend uses her curling iron she puts gel & hairspray. Her hair isn't as thick or heavy as mine but it's more-so.

Madora
January 13th, 2011, 11:20 AM
I don't curl my hair (only the last 3 inches and then very rarely). But I have found that the curls stays in a little longer if I use more curlers...I use sponge curlers that fasten with a plastic "bar" that snaps into place on each side of the curler. I don't use any heat or product...just water. The dampness of the hair might have something to do with a curl lasting longer. I just wet my ends 3 or 4 times with my comb, then roll up however many rollers I want.

error
January 13th, 2011, 11:26 AM
The only thing that works for me is rag curls and you have a similar hair type as me , you can get packs of sponge rag curlers in a drug store , before bed make your hair slightly damp with a water / conditioner mixture roll up all your hair , go to sleep and your hair will have nice bouncy curls , no hair spray or heat devices needed!

leoninnu
January 13th, 2011, 11:27 AM
I've found that the only curls that will really hold in my hair are the ones where you braid/roll/rope/bandanna your hair when it's still slightly wet after shower and sleep with them over night. When I open my hair in the morning the curls will mostly stay through the day. Some strands will straighten though, usually the ones that are in touch with my neck (sweat and heat does that I think?)

Heat styled curls will hold maximum of half a day in my hair, even with styling products.

pinkbunny
January 13th, 2011, 11:30 AM
My hair isn't necessarily "heavy" and it's definitely not thick, but it won't hold curls to save my life. Even perming was difficult - my stylist would use the smallest rollers she had, and I would look like little orphan Annie for about 2 or 3 days, then the curls would fall to a more "normal" look, but didn't last as long for me as perms do for other people.

When my hair was short enough for curlers, I had some success with steam rollers. After it got too long for that, I've found damp braiding/bunning works best. However, any bit of humidity in the air will defeat all my efforts. Sometimes I just have to live with the fact that my hair refuses to hold curl...

Nicoliee
January 14th, 2011, 05:08 AM
Ok thanks for the info guys!!

When I use hot sticks I don't use the heat. I just put them in the night before. Those will hold curl ok for pinning hair up and stuff but is terrible looking down. Plus I only have one set!! :( And other than a curling iron that's all I have to curl with. Not sure about sponge rollers now but when I was younger those tore the fire out of my hair!