PDA

View Full Version : How do you trim layers??

monsterna
January 12th, 2011, 10:52 PM
I have wispy layers in my hair. Like all up the sides of my hair framing my face are layered from when the hairdresser just did the cascading cut down at an angle.

They are looking really crappy. Even my bangs at the shortest (about 5-6 inches) have splits in places! I have splits just all over, it's terrible. I need to micro trim everything, but I don't even think I can on my own all over at this length.

How the heck do you trim layers like mine? I don't want to leave them to grow out with the rest of my hair when they will just probably split all the way up eventually if I don't do something about them now. Thanks!

monsterna
January 13th, 2011, 07:33 AM
Bumping for suggestions?

MissManda
January 13th, 2011, 04:11 PM
I am in a similar situation and I can sympathize. :blossom: I've been self-trimming since August 2010 but it has been frustrating since I can only trim the longest parts of my hair. So now the bottom portion of my hair is healthier but my layers and ex-bangs aren't in great shape. I don't know how to trim them without making them look wonky so the only way that I've been able to solve this problem is to S&D A LOT. I am very happy with how long my hair has gotten and I'm terrified of cutting to APL which is where my shortest layers/bangs are.

I hope someone will chime in with some better tips as S&D can be quite overwhelming for me (and others too) even if it's done in small increments. :)

lookingglass
January 13th, 2011, 05:54 PM
I'm not trimming again for a WHILE (major trim/long layers in October) but when I do, I think I'll pick up a lock and trim a curl off at the first curve of the "S". This obviously won't work if you don't have curly hair!

monsterna
January 13th, 2011, 06:08 PM
MissManda, I S&D a lot, too. Always finding splits. I really hope they aren't the same hairs each time I see them! It's very overwhelming. I'm almost at APL, so the thought of doing more than a micro trim is very daunting. May just have to wait a while until I can see more of my hair as it grows! I'll keep S&Ding what I can.

ravenreed
January 13th, 2011, 06:14 PM
There is a method where you can twist a bit of hair, hold it at the end and trim the little bits that stick out. Only the ends of the layers stick out so you are just trimming the little ends. It takes a while though and I usually twist the same piece a few times to make sure I get everything.

I just bought a CreaClip to make cutting my layers easier. I don't know how you would do face framing layers with it, but I did have an easier time getting the layers in the back even.

CreaClip linkie. (http://www.creaclip.com/)

Another suggestion is to look on Youtube. There are a lot of videos on how to cut the face framing layers, I am just not brave enough to free hand it. Make sure you scissors are sharp no matter what you do or you will add to the splitting problem!