PDA

View Full Version : most shampoos dont work?

Oz
January 12th, 2011, 08:35 PM
iteresting artical maybe?

How To Grow Long, Healthy Hair and Keep It That Way

It’s the dirty little secret shampoo companies don’t want you to know—when you wash your hair with one of those nutrient-rich shampoos, most of the nutrients and active ingredients in the product don’t actually end up in your hair, they wind up down the drain… along with all the money you spent on the shampoo.
Why does this happen? Because the shampoo molecules they contain are too large to penetrate the cells of hair and more importantly the tiny hair follicles where our hair actually grows. They sit atop the follicle until we wash them away.
Why is that a problem? Think about it this way—if you wanted to fertilize a plant, where would you pour the fertilizer? On the leaves? Of course not! You’d pour the fertilizer on the root and the soil where it’s needed most. Our hair works basically the same way—if you want to treat your hair right, you need to treat the roots.
But if regular shampoo can’t penetrate the hair follicles where our roots grow, what are we supposed to do?

find out more....

http://www.howlifeworks.com/a/a/?cid=7065gi_health&AG_ID=706

JuneBride
January 12th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Shampoo is Evil!
CO. All. The. Way!

pepperminttea
January 12th, 2011, 08:48 PM
My :bs: senses are tingling. :p I agree that an expensive shampoo is generally unnecessary, unless you're avoiding sulphates or going organic, etc., since all shampoo really needs to do is remove excess oil, but the plant metaphor... just no. Plants are entirely alive, hair is essentially dead as soon as it leaves the scalp.

Thanks for the link though. :)

Amarth
January 12th, 2011, 09:01 PM
I agree with pepperminttea about the plant metaphor.
The article just seemed like an advertisement to me.

Oz
January 12th, 2011, 09:02 PM
personaly, I dont give a flying donut. but thought you guys might fancy a read

HoneyJubilee
January 12th, 2011, 09:11 PM
My :bs: senses are tingling. :p I agree that an expensive shampoo is generally unnecessary, unless you're avoiding sulphates or going organic, etc., since all shampoo really needs to do is remove excess oil, but the plant metaphor... just no. Plants are entirely alive, hair is essentially dead as soon as it leaves the scalp.

Thanks for the link though. :)
Mine too. Why exactly does shampoo need to "penetrate the follicles"?

I also think it's interesting that there is no ingredients list given for this magical new shampoo when you follow the link to the site selling it. To me it doesn't sound that much different from any other shampoo/conditioner but is being sold in tiny bottles for $30 (but hey, it's a small bottle so it must be better, right? Plus they say it's a $75 value, so what a bargain!) :rolleyes:

prosperina
January 12th, 2011, 09:53 PM
For me, it's not that shampoo doesn't work, it's that they all work about the same because I put them in a squeeze bottle with lots of water...

Odd though, that shampoo would have to penetrate the follicles. I just thought it washed the gunk off the surface of the hair. :shrug:

farewell_nancy
January 12th, 2011, 11:18 PM
Check out the banner at the top of the "article"

"This article is sponsered by Kronos"

That isn't an article, it's a paid advertisement disguised as an article, like the weight loss schemes in the backs of tabloid magazines. At least they were good enough to admit their sponsorship, I've seen similar trickery online for acai berries and such not that make up fake news sites just to disguise their bias.

inty
January 13th, 2011, 01:41 AM
Someone helpfully posted ingredients of Kronos Phyx overnight repair mask.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/79554-anyone-want-try-kronos-me.html

Top 5:

Water (Aqua), Behentrimonium Chloride, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Cetearyl Alcohol

Where are the T-sferes on the ingredients list ?! :)

I'm glad it works for some, nevertheless.

milagro
January 13th, 2011, 02:00 AM
I don't think commercial shampoos are logically supposed to nourish hair or penetrate it, their task is to clean scalp and hair of dirt, grease and products' residue. The nourishing thing is just a marketing trick just like promises of coollness or manliness in cigarettes' ads :D
The bad thing is shampoos strip hair of natural oils as well in the process and open the cuticle. They can irritate scalp, too, due to the same reason. I had perpetual irritation (itch, flakes) from even mildest poos. It's gone completely once I dropped shampoo - like a magic! :disco:
So I think one may forego shampoo to more hair benefit if other cleaning methods work well enough for them.

KimmieWeiss
January 13th, 2011, 02:06 AM
I've felt differences in different shampoos. Some are way too harsh. Some seem to work better (but that is probably the cones in it). I remember way back, buying a huge jug of shampoo for cheap at Newberry's. Read the ingredients and shocked to see formaldehyde in there...

I am still looking all over for a good gentle liquid castille soap that is AFFORDABLE and hope to make that my daily shampoo!