PDA

View Full Version : How have taking vitamins aimed towards hair care benefitted your hair?

rosieex3
January 12th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Today I started taking "Maxi-Hair" vitamins by Country Life after seeing nothing less then 4 stars in reviews. All my life I have been taking little chewable Flinstones for kids vitamins, so these are my first "grown up" vitamins (I'm 18, lol).

The pills are huge and probably the most horrid smelling pills I have ever smelled in my life. :run: But, that is all worth it to me if I'm going to see results. Lately I've been shedding a lot, and I would love it if my hair just grew in healthier looking.

So please share your "hair vitamin" stories. How long did it take to see results? Was your hair growing in thicker, or simply growing faster, or shinier..?

Thanks for any replies! I apologize if there is already a topic like this, I searched and didn't find much..but then again I'm not too great at working forums. :p

fairy_ends_girl
January 12th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Hi Rosie, I just started hair vitamins 3 weeks ago and I have noticed a difference already. My shedding has stopped and my hair had a nice growth spurt. I know the Biotin and MSM has made a huge difference. I have also loaded up on extra B vitamins and Iron since I am borderline anemic. I will post more results in the next coming weeks. P/S) the vitamins I am on are by GNC Woman's Ultra Nourish Hair. 1200mcg Biotin, 500mg MSM and lots of other good ones :)

rosieex3
January 12th, 2011, 06:16 PM
fairy_ends_girl, I am so glad to hear that they are working for you! :) Those are actually the vitamins that I was originally going to get, but then I found Maxi-Hair on vitacost for a lot cheaper and they are very similar so I stuck with those. Hope to hear some good updates in the upcoming weeks and hopefully posting some of my own!

JuneBride
January 12th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Just like I wrote in the Biotin thread...the way I feel about supplements is that they may not help but they can't hurt. I thinking eating well helps more and vitamins are just what they are called: supplements. They supplement your diet.

Here is some info that might help you:

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac142/trdegray/HAIR%202011/IMG_0954.jpg

rosieex3
January 12th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Just like I wrote in the Biotin thread...the way I feel about supplements is that they may not help but they can't hurt. I thinking eating well helps more and vitamins are just what they are called: supplements. They supplement your diet.

Here is some info that might help you:

Thank you very much for posting that! I honestly don't eat too great, but I'm gonna work on that and I will use what you posted for a reference. :)

JuneBride
January 12th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Thank you very much for posting that! I honestly don't eat too great, but I'm gonna work on that and I will use what you posted for a reference. :)

Cool! Start with little changes...like adding some fruit as a snack, or drinking one less soda a day. Stuff like that adds up!

maus
January 12th, 2011, 06:49 PM
I have been taking Biotin as well as MSM religiously for about two months now. It stopped the shedding considerably, but doesn't seem to be doing much for growth. Or maybe I am not seeing it. Even though I keep looking (Like. Every. Day! Maybe that's my issue, LOL). But less shedding is worth taking it, at least for me.

rosieex3
January 12th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Cool! Start with little changes...like adding some fruit as a snack, or drinking one less soda a day. Stuff like that adds up!

Most definitely, I will keep that in mind..thanks. :) I've already started drinking three water bottles a day which is a baby step in the right direction,lol.

I have been taking Biotin as well as MSM religiously for about two months now. It stopped the shedding considerably, but doesn't seem to be doing much for growth. Or maybe I am not seeing it. Even though I keep looking (Like. Every. Day! Maybe that's my issue, LOL). But less shedding is worth taking it, at least for me.

I'm glad that taking Biotin and MSM stopped your shedding! :cheese: Hopefully you will notice the growth soon. I have been wearing my hair up pretty much 24/7 lately, and I'll take it down and really examine the length maybe once a month. It helps a lot with noticing growth. GL!

KimmieWeiss
January 13th, 2011, 02:36 AM
I have tried various cheapie/store brand hair vits. I did not notice a difference in my hair, but did notice my nails grew stronger

seems the best ingredients are B-6 and biotin for hair/nails

mustpannkook
January 13th, 2011, 02:42 AM
I just take multivitamins (with extra iron and B-vitamins, like there's 150% of vitamin B6, not just 100%) because the ones with Biotin in are much, much more expensive... Even though I've taken it less than a week it seems my hair falls out less!

dropinthebucket
January 13th, 2011, 02:51 AM
It does take a while to see real results. I've been taking biotin, MSM, silica, and a multi for about 6 months now, and I've noticed increased thickness in my F/i hair - not strand thickness, but a lot more hair in general. I have so many baby hairs growing in, I look like a dandelion! I didn't know my scalp could grow that much more hair, but I think it really is the supplements that have spurred the new growth. My overall growth rate has increased as well, though since I was already a glacial grower, the difference isn't very noticeable.

rosieex3
January 13th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Cool, thanks everyone! :)

Rocket22
January 13th, 2011, 12:22 PM
I think I take everthing!!! I take about 8 different vits a day including biotin, silicia, omega, E, C, HA, multi, and others that I can't think right now, AND three different powders, twice a day, about 6000 mg of msm total, 1000 mg chondrotin and 2000 in glucosamine (for bad knee) and I really don't think I have noticed any difference in my hair? and I have been taking most of these for well over a year! but my knee is much much better.. (need a knee replacement but way to young)

catiebloo
February 8th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Sorry, a noob question (and i've looked at the abbreviation thread with no luck) but what is MSM??

I have fine, thin hair & looking into some vitamins i can take to help growth etc...

SummerSkye
February 8th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Ive been taking biotin, Msm and Lysine as well as a general multi vitamin. I'm thinking of adding an iron supplement, silica and a B complex to all that. I'm a long term vegetarian and Ive had a big problem with hair loss over the last few years (not that my diet is the cause) so have been trying anything to help! I feel I had a good result with biotin and silica in the past. I haven't been taking msm long enough to comment on it yet. Your hair is gorgeous btw and looks really healthy so you would probably be fine with just a good healthy diet and maybe just a multi-vitamin with iron as an added boost!

Joliebaby
February 8th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Yup. I've gotten out of a growth stall and had a spurt always when I started back on vitamins after a long break. It evens out a bit after the spurt but I definitely get more growth with supplements (and some scalp treatments/massage don't hurt either).

Vorvolaka
February 8th, 2011, 10:56 AM
I've always took a multivitamin, due to health issues when I was younger and now out of habit, and I can safely say I have the best nails of anyone I know. I have no idea if it makes a difference to my hair and I'm not coming off them to find out!

I do notice a difference with my diet though. If I've been a bad bad, within a few days my skin looks terrible. It looks better again when I eat healthy foods.

Rocket22
February 8th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Sorry, a noob question (and i've looked at the abbreviation thread with no luck) but what is MSM??

I have fine, thin hair & looking into some vitamins i can take to help growth etc...

here is a little info on msm :)

http://www.msmsupplement.com/

also eta: I guess I can not say the vitamims are not helping since I never actually measured my hair before. I do think I have decent growth now and who knows maybe all the stuff I'm taking is helping :)

catiebloo
February 8th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Thank you Rocket :)

krissykins
February 8th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Oh my gosh, I take those same vitamins and I know EXACTLY what you mean. I try to take them with food, but it usually ends up being a half hour after eating so they don't come back up >_<

I definitely saw a boost in growth though. It was about .75" of growth per month when I took them from June-October 2009. I kind of forgot about them for awhile after that though...

enfys
February 8th, 2011, 06:25 PM
I had a boost when I started taking them, and I was taking a lot (multi, biotin, MSM, EPO, silica). My growth slowed down. I didn't buy them again except the multi and silica. I finished up each bottle and didn't see any difference in my hair after that first month or so of a boost.

I've been eating more eggs the past few weeks because they are cheap, quick and filling; all good things for a student. I've measured about 2" growth in 6 weeks.

Starting to take a lot of vitamins all at once isn't a really great idea because you've no way to know what is or isn't working for you. It takes three weeks for the full effect to be apparent. I wasted a lot of money on what amounted to, over six months, half an inch more growth than I would have had anyway. That's my view of it with hindsight.

Veviticus
February 8th, 2011, 06:25 PM
I'm writing all of these vitamins down so I can treat myself at the GNC for Valentine's Day. Thanks ladies.:cheese:

tinywife
February 8th, 2011, 07:21 PM
I had crazy hair loss last year due to stress, weight loss, and migraine medications. I started taking pre-natal vitamins (not pregnant, but I needed the nutrition) and my hair has never been better. Also, I have a lot more energy and my cycles are much more regular.

dainaleeo2
February 8th, 2011, 08:19 PM
I take the hair/skin/nails pills, ones I think that I picked up at Target. Not sure of the brand...but it's a dark blue bottle with a tan & yellow label. They taste SO bad but when I take them religiously I did notice a lot more help in the growth aspect. My hair grows pretty quickly on it's own but they seemed to help :) They always make my nails grow super fast haha.

I also take a vitamin supplement for my health called Juice Plus. It's pretty much the power/extract of fruits & vegetables, all natural. All of the people in my family take them & my mom's hair is lovely, also grows SUPER fast [might just be genetic though!]. So I try to take them much more religiously now. They can only benefit me, & also taking them helps me get the vitamins that I need to grow more healthy hair. So it helps in that respect :)

Cirafly24
February 8th, 2011, 08:30 PM
I take a Flintstone vitamin (the only multi that doesn't kill my stomach), 2000mg of MSM, and 1mg of biotin daily. I've only been taking them regularly for a few weeks, before that there were several months when I didn't take anything. Last time I stuck to my supplement schedule for a few months, I saw a marked increase in my growth rate. If I remember correctly, I had an inch of growth in three weeks at one point.

With results like that, why did I ever stop? :o

2peasinapod
February 8th, 2011, 09:34 PM
My hair started growing a little faster, but mostly I have seen an increase in the number of baby hairs, especially on my hairline and crown. I take a multi vitamin with 10&#37; biotin, glucosamine with MSM, eat a healthy diet, and an occasional cup of black sesame tea.

Cirafly24, I am seriously envious of one inch in three weeks! How incredible!

Buddaphlyy
February 9th, 2011, 11:54 AM
I have been taking 1000 mcg of biotin and a multivitamin for about 3 months and I definitely have noticed an increase in the thickness of my hair. Also, my new growth is very soft and a lot less dry than before.

Avital88
February 10th, 2011, 04:23 AM
When i was taking 20ml of silica everyday my hair grew superfast! I grew also 1 inch in 3 wks, i just dyed my hair when i started so the growth was really visible.
I also tried fish oils but not sure about that. RIght now i just take my B vitamin supplement with a bit of biotin in it, i use those the most.
The silica works best but cost me 40euros a month which i dont have at the moment. I will ask those for my birthday haha in may :)
So at least have something with B vitamines, it will grow faster and stronger.