PDA

View Full Version : Honey as an Ingredient Questions

HairFaerie
January 12th, 2011, 04:38 PM
I see a lot of people post recipes utilizing honey as an ingredient. In shampoos, conditioners, rinses, mists, etc. I would like to try it. But I am concerned.

My questions are -
If you add honey as an ingredient, does the stuff get spoiled or moldy over time?
What is the shelf life of items with honey added?
Also, does the honey coagulate or mix nicely with the other stuff?

Thanks in advance!

Kherome
January 12th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Honey is the only food that NEVER spoils, so rest assured it will not go bad!

HairFaerie
January 12th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Honey is the only food that NEVER spoils, so rest assured it will not go bad!

Cool!

What about the coagulation?

Kherome
January 12th, 2011, 05:39 PM
I've had no problems with it. When I've mixed it with something (oil or conditioner) it's smoothed right in and disappeared.

jojo
January 12th, 2011, 08:18 PM
honey is the purest food and doesnt go off. I love adding it to shampoos and conditioners or even just putting it straight on wet hair and no it isnt sticky like you would imagine; it makes my hair frizz free and shiny!

MClass
January 12th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Sorry for the thread highjack but does anyone ever use RAW honey? I'm working my way towards organic raw everything I can and this is all I have in my house :)

Kherome
January 12th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Sorry for the thread highjack but does anyone ever use RAW honey? I'm working my way towards organic raw everything I can and this is all I have in my house :)

Yep, my best bud is a beekeeper:D

Madame J
January 12th, 2011, 09:10 PM

Not in haircare preparations, but only because raw honey is more expensive than pasteurized, so I only use it for things I'm eating without cooking, in order to preserve its benefits.

Lianna
January 12th, 2011, 10:05 PM
If you leave unheated honey too long in mixes that contain water, it will produce peroxide. So be careful if you have color treated hair, or don't want any color changes.

HairFaerie
January 13th, 2011, 09:20 AM
If you leave unheated honey too long in mixes that contain water, it will produce peroxide. So be careful if you have color treated hair, or don't want any color changes.
Oh, wow! That's interesting to know!

HairFaerie
January 13th, 2011, 09:24 AM
My fear of honey has been CONQUERED! Yay!

Last night I made a hair mist as I have before but this time I included wildflower honey and my new found love - rice bran oil! I added essential oils for scent.

I did have to shake up the oil & honey mixture pretty good before I added the water. Then after adding the water had to really shake it but it did eventually mix together nicely. I was pleased.

I used it and WOW! I love it! Rice bran oil has been my new favorite thing, now I will add honey to that list too.

I will be making many more concoctions involving honey and rice bran oil! I am excited.

Thanks for your help everyone!