PDA

View Full Version : Those who are shedding heavily

sparkle'n'bling
January 12th, 2011, 02:34 PM
I know there are/were a bunch of LHCers who posted about heavy shedding. One cause of shedding is simply that your hair needs a small trim. I started shedding heavier than normal a few weeks ago, ignored it for a couple of weeks to see if it would stop on its own, then, when it didn't, I trimmed about half an inch. Voila - a couple of days after the trim, my shedding is totally back to normal.
Hope this helps some people. :)

Becky Safari
January 12th, 2011, 02:36 PM
I'm going through a major shedding at the moment and just had a two trims about 1/2 inch each a few weeks ago. So this hasn't helped me, but I'm glad it worked for you

Rin4Christ
January 12th, 2011, 02:43 PM
from a science side, why would trimming the ends of your hair effect how much of your hair is released at the root?

or are more hairs being yanked out because of increased tangled due to rough ends?

pop
January 12th, 2011, 02:44 PM
It worked for me also...when I trim my hair the problem solved. Not 100% (Im still shedding) but less than before, I think its normal now

Malibu Barbie
January 12th, 2011, 02:49 PM
I bought a new wide tooth comb and this has helped with my shedding. I think my biggest problem is when Im in a hurry I rip at my hair. I keep telling myself ..Gentle comb it gentle ..

rosieex3
January 12th, 2011, 02:52 PM
I'm glad it helped you! Unfortunately I've been shedding majorly for a few months now, even with a hair cut. I just ordered hair vitamins (Maxi-hair) and I'm hoping this will help.

CarpeDM
January 12th, 2011, 02:58 PM
This is good to know.

sparkle'n'bling
January 12th, 2011, 03:00 PM
from a science side, why would trimming the ends of your hair effect how much of your hair is released at the root?

or are more hairs being yanked out because of increased tangled due to rough ends?

I don't know why it works, sorry. But it always has for me, ever since I was old enough to pay attention to how much I was shedding.

greyTraveler
January 12th, 2011, 03:03 PM
I've shed alot for as long as I can remember -- of course I only really starting taking care of my hair when I found THC this summer.

I keep telling myself that a bit of a trim to remove the worst of the spit ends (which give most of the tangles) wouldn't hurt -- I just haven't gotten up the courage to go get it cut!

However, the two things that seemed to have helped the most for me are (1) gently finger combing, and (2) biotin.

I think (1) works for me because I'm not pulling hair out as much -- with my fingers I feel when I'm comming up on a tangle, and can gently free up the tangle w/o pulling on my hair. I suppose that if I brushed carefully I could get the same results, but maybe it's just easier for me to be careful w/o the brush.

Lot's of people swear by (2).

nellreno
January 12th, 2011, 03:20 PM
I've been heavily shedding (and actually losing thickness) for a couple years now. None of the trims and haircuts ever made a difference.

Keep It Flowin
January 12th, 2011, 04:32 PM
This was my thought as well... cleaning up the ends makes for less yanking out

JuneBride
January 12th, 2011, 04:35 PM
I beleive shampoo caused my hair to shed.
Since I started CO washing I have seen a dramatic drop in shedding.
Sometimes using monistat causes me to shed a little more than usual, but shampoo really makes it shed a lot!

Anywhere
January 12th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Trims never did a thing for me, my heavy shedding is caused by anemia, and (ETA for clarification: The shedding) is worsened by shampoo.

Igor
January 12th, 2011, 09:10 PM
As others have said, there is no way your scalp and follicle can tell that you trimmed off ends and there is no way it can affect your shedding directly: There are no nerves, no blood supply, no transferring hormones, no extra nutrients, nothing going on between ends and the follicle.
The reason you experience less shedding is from something else. That you have trimmed off some damage which made the handling and care more difficult would be my first bet. Don’t underestimate friction.
My second thought is that its mental. If you have just gotten rid of some ends and your hair is in the smooth, soft and wonderful-stage you are more happy and more gentle with it. You comb it gentler, you handle it gentler and you are more patient.

milagro
January 13th, 2011, 12:16 AM
As others have said, there is no way your scalp and follicle can tell that you trimmed off ends and there is no way it can affect your shedding directly: There are no nerves, no blood supply, no transferring hormones, no extra nutrients, nothing going on between ends and the follicle.
The reason you experience less shedding is from something else. That you have trimmed off some damage which made the handling and care more difficult would be my first bet. Don’t underestimate friction.
My second thought is that its mental. If you have just gotten rid of some ends and your hair is in the smooth, soft and wonderful-stage you are more happy and more gentle with it. You comb it gentler, you handle it gentler and you are more patient.
Igor, perfect explanation! I was wondering about the link between ends trim and follicle :)
I also suggest getting rid of rough ends makes it possible for shed hairs to just slip off as soon as they are loose, as they don't get caught by splits and mini-tangles, and so the shedding looks less dramatic than when they store up in the mass and only come out while being washed or combed/brushed.
The OP's hair type is supporting this idea. More wavy or curly hair acts differently, exactly like I wrote before: sheds stay within,and then when I detangle it's OMG! looking like half my hair is suddenly out :D Trimmed ends or untrimmed, no matter.

Sinisiew
January 13th, 2011, 01:23 AM
first of all /agree Igor.

Secondly: How is you scalp behaving overall? Is shedding the only problem, or is it dry, itchy, or anything else that it isn't usually? If your entire body doesn't show any other symptoms than that your hair is shedding take a look at the length of those hairs. Are they to long/heavy for the follicle to support? Have they reached terminal length? if not, go back to your scalp, massage it, use warm and cold water alternatively - in short wake up those follicles! stimulate them, excercise them :cheese:

sparkle'n'bling
January 13th, 2011, 02:28 AM
I S&D, so my ends are always in good condition. I'm always gentle when I brush. And my hair is up in the day and braided at night, so no tangling to cause shedding that way. My scalp is fine. I doubt that I have reached terminal length, as I had about an inch growth in December.

I never realised that my hair was odd for shedding when it needs a trim, lol.
It always has worked this way for me. :shrug:

I'm not trying to say that needing a trim would be for everybody a cause for shedding, I just thought I'd mention it here as I hadn't seen it mentioned in any other threads about shedding.

Rin4Christ
January 13th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the response Igor. I like the title under your user name. I'm something of a nerd (PhD in microbiology.... I spend my day playing with cells and viruses).

Its interesting to see all the advice and suggestions in this forum, but the science side of me always wonder why various treatments do or do not work.

Igor
January 13th, 2011, 09:22 PM
I’m just trying to make the point that yes, a trim might help decrease shedding, but no, it is not the act of snipping the ends off that affects shedding directly. Indirectly yes, directly no.
Unless some sort of previously undiscovered by science meta particle flows in an energy field between the ends and the follicle… :wink:

UltraBella
January 13th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Thank you, Igor ! You are 100% correct. The actual act of cutting the ends of the hair does not have any effect on growth or shedding. At all. It's completely impossible.
I agree that a trim might help decrease shedding due to healthier ends and gentler treatment...... but hair does not actually shed because it needs it's ends trimmed, the follicle and derma papilla which nourishes the hair to grow are completely, 100% unaffected by anything you do to the lengths.