PDA

View Full Version : Best Birth Control to keep from losing hair?

lovinmylife
January 12th, 2011, 02:29 PM
I have finally convinced my Gyno to switch me B/C but she changed it to LO ESTRIN 1.5/30 and it seems to be @ 50/50 online as to whether people think it grows their hair, or loses hair. My gyno thinks it will help my hair loss.

So I figured I would go to the experts.. ya'll!! :):cheese:

Any advice? She said she would write a diff b/c script if I wanted.

:)

starlamelissa
January 12th, 2011, 04:24 PM
I am new here, so excuse my non-expertise, but when I went on low-hormone bc pills I had hair growth, just not in the right places. The triphasic variety really were not good for me. Monophasic yaz did better things for my body, and hair. hth

Messyhair
January 12th, 2011, 04:33 PM
I only know of the non-desirable hair growth side effect from BC pills, like the previous poster mentioned. It really would depend on the various types of hormonal activity that the new pill would have. I don't have any of the drug references home with me, so I can't check it out for you right now. :(

- Messyhair, pharmacist non-extrordinaire at the moment -

lovinmylife
January 12th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the help guys. :) I was/am currently finishing a pack of Seasonique. Which I loved, and worked great, in all aspects... except my hair :( :(

I do have endo really bad, so I need something. Thank you for the insights :)

Anyone else? :)

bondeandeebowl
January 12th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Hi! I am on Loestrin24 and I love it! I was previously on Orthocyclen lo and lost SO much hair, it was unbelievable. Literally, if I ran my hands through my hair once, the sink would be coated in hair. It also gave me terrible acne. Loestrin stopped it completely, but obviously everyone's bodies deal with hormones differently.

bondeandeebowl
January 12th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Also, I'm no expert but I looked into it when I was having problems before.....if I recall correctly, pills that have lower angrogens or are anti-androgens are better for hair. Androgens tend to cause more hair loss and acne. It's worth looking into if you are switching BC. I don't think Loestrin is an anti-androgen approved by the FDA, but it's one of the ones that people use as an anti-androgen.

jaine
January 12th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Paragard is non-hormonal and more than 99% effective ... I have used it for almost 5 years now and love it!
My only side effect was some cramps when they inserted it, and heavier periods for the first few months ... but there are drugs like Ponstel or ibuprofen to counteract the heavier periods while they last. In a few months it's all back to normal or at least was for me.
ETA: I also love the "set it and forget it" aspect of an IUD ... I can't even remember to take my vitamins, much less a pill. And it can stay in place for up to 10 years but it's easy to remove later if you no longer want birth control.

lovinmylife
January 13th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Thank you everyone for your help. I guess the only way for me to know if it will be good or bad... is to dive right in :( But gosh... that makes me scared. I did research the androgenic stuff as well. The current medicine I am on now Seasonique is a very high androgen. However, it does say loestrin is higher, but that it also has more estrogen... gosh... I hope it goes ok :(

Thank you all for your support ((Hug))

stefafra
January 13th, 2011, 04:17 PM
I'm on nuvaring and very happy about it, the concentrations of hormones are much lower that with a normal pill, and it helps keeping my hair and skin not too greasy (that is a bit of a problem when I'm "natural"). No forgetting to take the pill either, changing the ring once a month it's enough.
I was on Diane/Dianette when I was younger because of acne, but other indications are hirsutism (hair growth in funny places) and if I remember well also male pattern hair loss, so the pill should help against it....
At least this rather old fashioned and heavy version.

kwaniesiam
January 13th, 2011, 04:34 PM
I'm on the depo provera shot to stop extremely heavy, irregular periods. It's worked well for me for almost a year now but I'm thinking of switching to an IUD or implanon if my insurance will cover it.

cataphract
January 13th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Paragard is non-hormonal and more than 99% effective ... I have used it for almost 5 years now and love it!
My only side effect was some cramps when they inserted it, and heavier periods for the first few months ... but there are drugs like Ponstel or ibuprofen to counteract the heavier periods while they last. In a few months it's all back to normal or at least was for me.
ETA: I also love the "set it and forget it" aspect of an IUD ... I can't even remember to take my vitamins, much less a pill. And it can stay in place for up to 10 years but it's easy to remove later if you no longer want birth control.

I had this for a while, too and it worked fine... until I had a weird cycle in the past few days and completely passed it. All gone. Apparently this is not common, but not unheard of either /shrug.

I was thinking about going with the mirena instead as it's supposed to help with cramps and excessive bleeding which are things I have. I had no idea birth control messed with hair so much. Anyone have any ideas what Mirena would do to your hair?

RadiantNeedle
January 15th, 2011, 01:33 AM
I'm wondering about the Mirena as well, also for improving mood swings and acne. Any experiences with Mirena clearing up those three issues? Or at least helping a bit?

lovinmylife
January 15th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Thank you all for the input. I knew you guys would have some insight :) I start my new birth control next sunday!!! PLEASE keep me in mind, and say some good thoughts.. I am gonna be really sad if I lose more hair :(

jenjen10
January 17th, 2011, 04:01 PM
I'm wondering about the Mirena as well, also for improving mood swings and acne. Any experiences with Mirena clearing up those three issues? Or at least helping a bit?

I had the Mirena for three years and LOVED the fact that I actually stopped getting periods and I didn't have to remember to take a pill. I do not recall anything specific to my hair... I got the Mirena about a year after I started to grow out my hair and grew my hair to BSL without a problem.