PDA

View Full Version : Cutting back to APL advice

prof-annie
January 12th, 2011, 01:45 PM
My hair is currently somewhere between BSL and waist length and my shortest layers are about APL. I had planned to cut back to APL when my layers reached this length to both get rid of my layers and some old highlight damage. Seeing as it only took my hair 18 months to grow from APL to nearly waist I'm not too sentimental about the cut, in fact I look forward to have a nice healthy blunt hemline! I would however love some advice on what to do with my hair once I've cut it. What protective styles can I wear with my very very slippery fine hair at this length? My hair tends to fall out of most styles other than a quite severe ponytail. I would like to do some serious growing once the chop has been done and eventually have healthy waist length hair so protective style advice would be gratefully accepted!

JuneBride
January 12th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Don't cut that much off all at once! If I were you and I did cut that much off at once, I would cry! I am all for healthy over lenght...but start with a few inches!!!

Avvoltoio
January 12th, 2011, 02:17 PM
cutting back to that length i feel it would be too drastic, i think you should use mini trims for yourself, like feye's method, on mini trims i mean only a cm 1/3 inch 1 times in 1-2 months while you get blunt hemline, after that only do it once in 3-4 months to maintain, and keep of split ends.

Unfortunately i can't really suggest safe updo, cause my hair is down 99% of the time, but i am sure other members here can :)

prof-annie
January 12th, 2011, 02:25 PM
I've been doing lots of little trims for about 6 months... trimming 1/2 an inch every 3 or 4 weeks. The condition hasn't really improved because of the colour damage and because of the layers I feel like I've already got APL length hair! I know the cut sounds drastic, it is drastic, but I'm fed up of the damage and layers. I guess because my hair grows so fast... about 3/4 - 1 inch every month... I'm not concerned about the length loss because it will grow back fairly quickly if I don't need to trim as often to keep the damage at bay!

Intransigentia
January 12th, 2011, 02:45 PM
I found APL to be a really awkward length. Too short for most things, but it still managed to be too long to neatly stuff into a French twist, (though that was probably just a matter of needing more practice, since I can do it again now at almost-BSL.)

I have irritating layers that are around APL, and I'm planning to have my de-layering when they hit BSL, because BSL is so much more versatile.

PraiseCheeses
January 12th, 2011, 03:23 PM
I joined just after I chopped from layered BSL to collarbone to get rid of layers and heat damage, and I can relate to feeling like the shorter layers are your true hair length. I felt like it gave me a fresh start and I don't regret it. I'm just about at APL now and I swear by sock buns, scrunchie buns, and those plastic claw clips with the non-slip grips. If I twist my hair and bring it up like a peacock twist but fold the ends back down and clip the claw clip over the whole thing, it stays all day and keeps the ends protected. It holds up to an hour of bike commuting on Boston streets, so I'm pretty happy with it.

I also cheat a braided bun by braiding my hair, tying it off, then pulling the ends up and in so it tucks underneath the braid. Then secure with a hairstick or Flexi. Gibson tucks are also great, but I've only managed to get that to work once: at 3 AM when I couldn't sleep and was just messing around and had nowhere to go, of course. :p

I'm with Avvoltio about the Feye's trim though. If you are planning on cutting so much off anyway, think of it as having a lot of room for error. This is the PERFECT time for you to practice self-trimming - I wish that I had known about it before I had my hair cut, because when I decide it's time for a trim, I'm going to be super-nervous about botching a self-trim and losing several inches. Do it now and you'll be an expert once it's time to just trim half an inch :)

prof-annie
January 12th, 2011, 03:41 PM
I've been self-trimming for about a year now. It saves a lot of time and money. I don't really enjoy going to the hairdresser and a self trim takes about 5 minutes so I am already a huge fan of the technique! I may cut half way between wear I am now and APL to stagger the process but ultimately I know the condition won't improve until all the damage is gone.

Deborah
January 12th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Good for you! It sounds like you know what you want and need. I say go ahead. Don't let those who worry and mourn over the loss of every inch cause you concern. You know your own hair, and that it will grow back quickly. I think you will enjoy having hair that is all one length and nice and healthy. Growing longer from there will be a delight instead of a headache. :)