PDA

View Full Version : Best approach to chlorinated pool water...

Darkfrog
January 12th, 2011, 01:17 PM
I recently started swimming for exercise and swim caps are required. I found that my latex swim cap does keep my hair mostly dry, but, concerned about the effects of rubber, I've tried putting on a bandana underneath.

What is my biggest problem, the water, the chlorine or the latex? Can anyone recommend a swim cap that both keeps out a reasonable amount of water and is not made of a hair-damaging material (and preferably doesn't make me look like a giant thumb)?

Madame J
January 12th, 2011, 02:10 PM
You can get non-damaging silicone swim caps. There are, I believe, two articles in the Hair Care section of the Articles section about swimming. Personally, I wet my hair with cold water and braid it before I swim, and then detangle it under cold running water before washing it. Sometimes I also do a club soda rinse to neutralize the chlorine, especially if I'm not going to wash it with anything besides water.

Nessie_
January 12th, 2011, 02:15 PM
I'm on a swimming team and I actually never wear a swimming cap. The chlorine is bad for your hair, but since I only swim once a week, I just make sure that I rinse my hair after practice really well and then when I'm home I wash it again and use lots of conditioner. The chlorine doesn't really affect my hair if I just take good care of it :).