PDA

View Full Version : Satin/Silk Sleep cap?

AspenSong
January 12th, 2011, 10:47 AM
I'm thinking of trying one of these if I can find an affordable one - just because despite sleeping on a satin pillowcase and braiding my hair at night, I'm still having a lot of little breaks around my neck and such and I'm wondering if wearing a cap and not having anything pulling on my hair might help - thing is, I have no idea where to find one! lol. So any pointers or sites that have them would be a huge help!

mustpannkook
January 12th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Why won't you make a one by yourself? I made mine from an old satin pillowcase! I can give you instructions on the picture if you want. I believe they're sold in Amazon too.

Dragon
January 12th, 2011, 10:52 AM
I have seen them on eBay.

Anje
January 12th, 2011, 11:01 AM
I've found them in places like Walmart and Walgreens. Check in the products targetted toward people of color especially. It seems like there are more satin bonnets and the like there, probably because curly hair and braided styles stay frizz-free much better if you sleep on satin.

jeanniet
January 12th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Walmart has sleep caps made by Stay-on Satin in their ethnic hair section. They're dirt cheap and work great. I have a bunch of them. Machine washable and really pretty durable. I've been wearing mine for almost a year now and they're all still usable. For less than $2 apiece, they're a good deal!

ETA: I should say that the caps aren't great for protecting the little hairs at the nape of your neck. I've pretty much given up on that area anyway, because I don't think those hairs will grow that long and I just can't keep them from getting some damage. But as far as protecting the rest of my hair goes, the caps do work really well. I used to wake up to a head full of tangles and now it's much easier to comb my hair out in the morning.

Ravenne
January 12th, 2011, 12:04 PM
I got mine from wal-mart. It's very comfortable and works great. :) The best part is that the elastic part isn't super tight so I don't wake up with a headache.

Konstifik
January 12th, 2011, 12:09 PM
I use the Pretty Wrap (http://prettywrap.com/index.php?cPath=22) as sleep scarf. I think they're great! But they're slow on restocking though, so the selection is limited...

Igor
January 12th, 2011, 12:15 PM
I'm thinking about getting one of these (http://prettyanntoinets.com/category_7/Bonnets.htm)

little_cherry
January 12th, 2011, 12:36 PM
I have a pretty wrap (Thanks jeanniet :flower:) I love it.

Just to clarify, satin can be made out of silk...satin is the weave. Satin can also be made of polyester, but the silk version allows your skin to breath. :)

HairFaerie
January 12th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Sally Beauty carries satin ones (not silk) that are cheaply priced.

AspenSong
January 12th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Thanks all -
I've checked that section of our Wal Mart and haven't found any. =/ But I'll keep looking and check the sites! :)

@mustpannkook - I don't know how handy I'd be at doing that if it involves any sewing, lol, but I'd love the directions on how to do it anyway!!

Fairlight63
January 12th, 2011, 02:38 PM
I have bought a bunch trying to find one that is comfortable & that will stay on & my favorite is Lil Lucy from www.maverickwear.com. It ties on & i have never had it to come off & I am a pretty restless sleeper.

mustpannkook
January 13th, 2011, 03:31 AM
Thanks all -
I've checked that section of our Wal Mart and haven't found any. =/ But I'll keep looking and check the sites! :)

@mustpannkook - I don't know how handy I'd be at doing that if it involves any sewing, lol, but I'd love the directions on how to do it anyway!!

As I don't have any satin to sew with so I drew it... I hope it's understandable (http://oi54.tinypic.com/n5ol75.jpg)