PDA

View Full Version : reaction to nice and easy dye wondering about henna need advice please

templeofvenus
January 12th, 2011, 09:19 AM
I have had a reaction to a black dye I used, normally if I stick to my usual garnier nutrisse brand I am ok but thought I would try the new nice and easy foam dye and it was great till my head started to itch and small scabs appear!!!!!!! even on my ears!!!!! now this has made me think about henna indigo one to go black as I like my hair black or very dark brown. My normal colour is mousey with maybe a few grays lurking lol :) could I start and dye with henna when I have previous permanent box dye on my hair or would I have to grow all of that out first :confused: and any advice on henna to make hair black or dark brown would be welcome as I know nothnig about alternnative to black box dyes!

halo_tightens
January 12th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Your reaction suggests to me that you have developed a PPD allergy, as happens to so many people who use chemical dyes. I am one of them; I used black dyes for years before suddenly becoming allergic and having a horrible reaction. If this is what's going on, IT WILL NOT GET BETTER-- ONLY WORSE.

I strongly suggest that you stay away from these dyes from now on, to avoid severe damage to your health and possible cross-sensitisation to other substances. Henna and indigo is one possibility.

Please be careful. After the experience I had, I cringe to think of anyone taking chances with PPD dyes. The reactions can be unbelievably painful and grotesque.

ruffian
January 12th, 2011, 09:34 AM
I'd like to know as well. (Sorry I'm not much help)...I've always wondered how these gals get their hair jet black using indigo/henna/whatever, I've tried several times but it just made my dark brown hair dark brown but awful shiny. Not black.

Oh, and I also had the same reaction from Nice and Easy. It felt like my scalp and ears were on fire. Never again!

ravenreed
January 12th, 2011, 09:45 AM
Once you develop an allergy to one type of hair dye, any hair dyes that use PPD can trigger the same allergy, and the symptoms usually get worse. I would be very hesitant to try any box dyes if I were you.

If you use body art quality henna you can henna over your dye, but do be careful and make sure it is the right stuff. I have no experience with the henna/indigo process so I cannot comment on it.

thisischristine
January 12th, 2011, 10:15 AM
I'm another one who suddenly reacted to Nice and Easy after always dying my hair dark brown/black. On Monday I took my first foray into Henna and brown with Lush Caca Brun. I can't say how well it will wear, but the initial result is what I've been looking for in a box dye all these years! Multi-tonal, shiny and the ends look amazing. It is a longer process (I left it on for 6 hours - between naptime and bedtime for my little ones. I didn't want to accidentally henna them!), but not unpleasant. Not even a tingle. I was used to Nice and Easy stinging at least before the big bad reaction! My scalp actually feels sort of calmed by it.

The good thing about the Lush ones is they are sort of foolproof. I know people have said that you don't get the lasting result that you would making it yourself, but the blend is all there, you don't have to let it sit before application. I ground it up in the Magimix to get it really smooth and just plopped it on. Used nappy cream as a barrier (it's an organic one, just vanilla, camomile, olive oil and castor oil) and clingfilmed. I then tied a carrier bag over the top and wore a woolly hat. So no dripping and nice and warm to allow the red through. Apparently, if you don't keep it warm on you, you get a flatter brown with less warmth.

thisischristine
January 12th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Just realised you wanted black, not brown. Lush also do Caca Noir I believe for darker results. I have to say, mine is as close to black as I've ever had it with the Brun.

LindainCO
January 12th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Maybe this is what has happened to me?
I have hesitated to go to the doctor, but I have dyed my hair for years and suddenly broke out in what I first thought was a scalp fungus.
Is there more info on this?

Anje
January 12th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Well, you probably ought to patch test any future dyes, in any case. It does sound like a PPD allergy, and you're unlikely to get away from that chemical in just about any black conventional dye.

If you want to do henna+indigo to go black, you're looking at a two-step process of first henna, then indigo applied over the freshly hennaed hair. For some people that's permanent, especially after doing it a couple times, for others the indigo regularly fades and the hair starts to get that red henna shine, especially in the sun.

Be aware that you cannot bleach out indigo, unless you happen to like green hair. You're stuck with it until you cut it, unless it fades off by itself. Henna can be bleached out of hair, but it takes a lot and tends to be damaging. So your other alternative is to use a temporary vegetable dye like Special Effects or Manic Panic.

Maybe this is what has happened to me?
I have hesitated to go to the doctor, but I have dyed my hair for years and suddenly broke out in what I first thought was a scalp fungus.
Is there more info on this?
Here's a lot more info on PPD allergy. (http://www.hennaforhair.com/ppd/) It comes across as slightly alarmist, since there are plenty of people who use black hair dye for years without developing an allergy. But it you become allergic, it's seriously nasty stuff, and the allergy is pretty common.

lw8666
January 12th, 2011, 11:01 AM
I just dyed my hair black with Elumen hair color I ordered online. It was very gentle and the color came out jet black. Not to sure about the whole PPD allergy thing, but I heard Elumen is safe and does not cause any reactions to people who are sensitive to that.

SwordWomanRiona
January 12th, 2011, 11:09 AM
I have never tried indigo, I have only henna'ed, so I'm not able to help much. Indigo does work, I think, as henna does work, but you must bear in mind that the colour you will get will depend on your original hair colour, so if you haven't got dark hair (dark-brown/black), you won't get jet-black, but dark-brown. But what's good about henna/indigo/amla/cassia is that they're natural products, which won't harm your hair but condition and strengthen it, so you can always give indigo a try.
And I'm sorry about your alergic problems, chemical products are awful!!:rant:

Artsy
January 12th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Just realised you wanted black, not brown. Lush also do Caca Noir I believe for darker results. I have to say, mine is as close to black as I've ever had it with the Brun.
Lush is a good option to start hennaing, however I personally developed an allergic reaction to some ingredients in it as well. I am suspecting the lemony scented preservative, but I don't know for sure. I had to switch to pure henna/indigo and tried a 2 step process for black hair. It was easier for me personally than Lush, and did not take too much time. There are other premixed henna products available, they should be safe to use over boxed dye if they do not contain any additives.

I have previous permanent box dye on my hair or would I have to grow all of that out first :confused: and any advice on henna to make hair black or dark brown would be welcome as I know nothnig about alternnative to black box dyes!
There is a lot of information on hennindigo (brown variations) and 2 step henna/indigo (black). I have tried hennindigo, it is very easy and takes around 1-2 hours to stay on your head. Lately I have tried the 2 step process for black hair following RavennaNight's routine (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=14960), which was very easy to follow and has good tips on how to make the dye take better.

Artsy
January 12th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Indigo does work, I think, as henna does work, but you must bear in mind that the colour you will get will depend on your original hair colour, so if you haven't got dark hair (dark-brown/black), you won't get jet-black, but dark-brown.
That is actually not correct, with a 2 step process jet black is possible, may be not for everyone with the 1st application. My virgin hair is light brown/dark blond, and now I have Asian kind of black

Sooze
January 12th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Another one here who had a bad reaction to a NIce N easy box dye lst year -a brand I'd used for two years without ill effects. Trouble is, what others have already said is very true - once you react, it will only get WORSE. It can vary from individual to individual, but it took over four months for my skin to get back to "normal" and I had nasty scalp burns. My ears too became sore - it happened withn 3 minutes of me applying the dye and I washed it off as soon as I felt the burning and prickling.

Henna is so much kinder to hair. Have never tried hendigo but I know there can be very impressive results ranging from brown through to black depending on your starting colour. Good luck with this.

SwordWomanRiona
January 12th, 2011, 04:02 PM
That is actually not correct, with a 2 step process jet black is possible, may be not for everyone with the 1st application. My virgin hair is light brown/dark blond, and now I have Asian kind of black

Really? Thanks for the information, I love raven hair...Might try in the future!:)

dropinthebucket
January 13th, 2011, 03:12 AM
It does sound exactly like a PPD allergy. Some women can use the dye for years, and then suddenly develop an allergy. Researchers are working on why (immune system gives up from fighting the chemical for years, etc.). Some women can use the dye for years, and suddenly go into anaphylactic shock when they change brands and use a dye with a higher PPD content. Apparently, there are a lot of variables. As Anje notes, there is lots of info. on the web, and several support groups and forums.

templeofvenus
January 13th, 2011, 08:15 AM
thanks a;; for the information I think I am going to seriously look into henna/indigo option! scary the chemicals in box dye and what they can do!

MandaMom2Three
January 13th, 2011, 09:28 AM
I developed allergies to conventional dye as well :(. I use henna instead (keep tossing the idea of indigo around too, but I'm thinking not, my hair is deep and rich and looks brown in some lights anyway). I do like black hair once and a while so I use Manic Panic when I get the urge.