PDA

View Full Version : The Stuck in a Rut thread

Phalaenopsis
January 12th, 2011, 03:34 AM
Here I am again, stuck in a rut! My hair is down most of the times, if it needs to be out of the way, I'll do a plain bun and always use a 60th street fork. Sometimes I'll do a french braid 'cause it's comfy, but that's about it...

So many possibilities, so many hairtoys just lying here... I need to work at it more to have some change of scenery.

Who else is stuk in a rut? :)

Nae
January 12th, 2011, 07:16 AM
Me, peacock twist just about everyday. I never have it down. (I tried it last saturday and I nearly went insane.)

I do change out the hair toys somewhat but I am stuck with the same style. Maybe I will do a lace braid or something today, just to change it up.

akka naeda
January 12th, 2011, 07:35 AM
Me.
But..... it counts as neglect. I'm not constantly trying new styles, I just plait my hair, put it up into a Fig 8 held with a Ficcare and that's it. Plus I need a style which contains my hair (the plait) and gets the length out of the way (Fig 8) for working outdoors, frequently near trees and spiky plants, in all weathers.
Any suggestions for alternative styles would be welcome though:)

Come the summer when I get the opportunity to wear it in half ups I'm always pleasently surprised at how long it's got.

UltraBella
January 12th, 2011, 07:52 AM
I wear my hair in the same bun every day for work. EVERY SINGLE DAY. Ugh.

Calanthe
January 12th, 2011, 08:20 AM
The rut seems to get bigger and bigger. Either french twist or celtic bun.

We had a DJ set last Saturday and I wanted to try something new and stunnig - and ended up wearing...Yes, a celtic bun. Blah!

LocustSpawning
January 12th, 2011, 08:23 AM
Mine is ALWAYS just in a normal ponytail. I am useless when it comes to pretty up-do's and stuff.

Vorvolaka
January 12th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Bun. Bun. Bun.

Yeah, kind of monotonous. But I could find myself doing anything on a day to day basis, so it's easy. I do try when I'm going out or something but it's often still a bun.

Monsterkitti
January 12th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Yup every day is a bun and its always a nautilus or a cinnabun usually with the same 2 sticks.

I try to be more experimental at the weekends but it always seems to end up in a boring bun by the end of the day :)

ElusiveMuse
January 12th, 2011, 09:22 AM
I always have a nautilus bun. Always, always. I am so bored with it but I'm really terrible at doing hair so I never can make anything else look right.

luxepiggy
January 12th, 2011, 09:31 AM
I think I've been in a rut for most of my life! There was a short-lived burst of creativity in 8th grade when I learned to use hairsticks. Then another one freshman year of university, with the invention of the porkbun, which replaced the cinnabun I'd been doing up to that point. Nothing new since then . . . but it's not really a rut as long as I'm not using the same hairsticks!

That's what I tell myself anyway (^(oo)~)

Schefflera
January 12th, 2011, 09:39 AM
I guess I am, but it doesn't really bother me. If I feel like doing something different, I do. If I feel like doing something simple and half-automatic and getting on with the day, I do that!

I do kind of regret having mostly dropped the French twist, though. I have some combs I really like. I just can't seem to get it to cooperate anymore; I've tried some of the long-hair variations, but I think I'll need more practice to get those to look nice and stay securely.

Calanthe
January 12th, 2011, 09:49 AM
. . . but it's not really a rut as long as I'm not using the same hairsticks!

That's what I tell myself anyway (^(oo)~)

I really like that - I'm going to tell it myself from now on...:D

AspenSong
January 12th, 2011, 09:58 AM
I def am in one. Everyday it's the same thing - A cinnabun held with my giant clamshell claw clip or with spin pins, and to sleep in, a single normal braid down my back. =P
I blame it partly on my inability to do any other kind of braid because I'm not coordinated and also because I can't get any other kind of cool bun to stay or work in my dang slippery hair!

Cleopatra18
January 12th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Mine is always in a cinnamon bun.

spidermom
January 12th, 2011, 10:19 AM
It's pretty much on purpose. I know how to do a variety of styles, but most of the time it's down (bad) or in a gibralter or equilibrium bun sorta thing.

pepperminttea
January 12th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Mine is in an English braid 90% of the time, purely because it's also my sleep style, so if I'm not going out, it's one less detangling and braiding session at the end of the day. :shrug: I figure as repetitive styles go, there's worse, and well, I'm lazy. :p

I'm not that bad when I actually try, though. I have a mental list of styles in my head, sorted by what mood's my hair's in that day and whether it'll cooperate, entirely thanks to LHC and youtube tutorials. :)

Rini
January 12th, 2011, 12:12 PM
I always wear a bun. So boring. I have limited hair toys for a year though, so that's my excuse!

Why don't you try looking through the style of the month threads or the "wear all your hair toys once" thread? I get lots of inspiration there :D

Nymph
January 12th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Oh yes, have been for a year or so, I think. I just seemed to decide one day that hair routine was ten minutes of sleep less and it's been more sleep and bun forever since then. I tried wearing it loose, and guess what, it has grown so much that all at the sudden I don't know where all that hair come from, it's longer than I'm used to handle and it drives me crazy. Plus, when I wear it down or when it touches my back or anything I'm so scared of damaging it. So up in a bun, it goes.

carabean
January 12th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Bun or french braid for me. And, I can't even wear hair sticks yet .....

lapushka
January 12th, 2011, 01:32 PM
I know what you mean. A peacock twist, folded in on itself a few times because of length (WL) is still the most frequent updo since hitting APL. Most updos are just not entirely possible yet, at least not for a long duration of time. Most fall out rather quickly.

cmnt831
January 12th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Cinnabun every day. Except the past two days it's been in double plaits to help facilitate yoga practice. Maybe that will be my new rut! :D

heynormy
January 12th, 2011, 02:17 PM
French braids and cinnabuns have been my go to hairstyles since I've given up the heat tools!

Loviatar
January 12th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Cinnabun for work, braid or twin braids for bed. Yawn yawn.

My BF likes it down though, and in halfups and also in a high pony, so I've been doing that recently. I've invested in some fake hair buns to clip to my half-up so I can wear my hair mostly-down and still wear a hairtoy. ;)

hanne jensen
January 19th, 2011, 02:37 AM
I'm in a rut too. I have too much hair now (yay!) for my go to updo and not enough hair for a new one. so, my hair is just smooshed up any old way just to get it out of the way. Booooooooring!

Igor
January 19th, 2011, 02:55 AM
Whenever I get to that stage, I always cling to the thought that I actually don’t think that “stuck in a rut” is bad for your hair. Sure, its mentally annoying because you have that feeling you “should” do more to it (I hate that “should”. Bleah)

But with every hobby or interest, you can’t give it 100% dedication all the time. You would probably go nuts if you did!

I think that if you just stick with the minimum washing and otherwise stick it up in a protective style, sooner or later you will come out of the rut and discover that hey, your hair is longer and it looks healthy too!

Just keep away from the scissors and it will probably solve itself :D

PrincessTieflin
January 22nd, 2011, 09:39 PM
Cinna bun.. ballet bun.. french braid.. blah.. boring.. Gona take Rini's advice and search the hairstyle of the month, and the wear all my toys once..

I have tons of toys.. Just never use them.. Hoping to more when summer hits and I am not wearing hoods all the time.

ladycaladium
January 22nd, 2011, 09:48 PM
Um, yeah. It's been in a messy bun for days now...

Amraann
January 22nd, 2011, 09:49 PM
If hot out a bun. If annoyed with it in my face a pony tail.
Aside from that it is down.

Once in a great while I will do something with it if going out.

lpsqt60
January 22nd, 2011, 10:30 PM
For my work it is always in a bun, once in a while a french braid with the tail down but even then it's always in the way, at home I have it clipped up in a twisty thing that I do and I secure it with my tiny plastic claw clips. Yawn.
The sad part is I have so many hair toys!

pennyroyal
January 22nd, 2011, 10:35 PM
I was in a huge rut for months, just putting it in a bun or using a claw. Same thing every single day...:rolleyes: I decided i needed to find a new way to do my hair or i would get way too bored with it so the last few days i have worn it in 2 "pigtail buns" which is surely going to become my new rut. :o I love it for now tho! It gets my hair off my face & neck & it looks kinda cute. Plus it's super easy to do.

lundmir
January 23rd, 2011, 02:25 AM
Oooh, me, lazy wrap bun all days...

smileycat
January 23rd, 2011, 09:09 AM
Me, too. Mostly down, and I really only have one bun that I have mastered well enough to use my terrible hair toys splurge at the end of last year.