PDA

View Full Version : Grad photo hair!

squintinschool
January 11th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Since I was getting my grad photos done today, I got my hair styled, and for the first time, had it done at a curly salon (The Curl Ambassadors, on Harbord St. in Toronto), and thus with no cones, no poo (she used Deva Curl No Poo, One Condition, AnGEL and Uncle Funky's Daughter Glossy), and lots of tips about hair care. Although hats off to mneh and GRU, for a lot of what she said had already been said by one or both of you! It turned out great, and is still holding up even 11h after styling, which is far beyond what happens to my hair when it gets straightened. When I was leaving the salon, a woman who was there getting her hair dyed complimented my hair, both curl and colour. And so did my mom when she popped by for an unexpected visit this evening (which is high praise because she is usually all about straightening my hair for anything important).

And now for some photographic evidence:
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-ash1/v81/136/116/516320458/n516320458_663688_9120.jpg
My hair in 2007, for my high school grad photo - straightened by my sister.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6964&pictureid=103456
My hair in 2011 - styled to enhance its natural wave, still mostly frizz free, even after 11h, which is all the more impressive since I was outdoors a good bit, and it was really cold and dry, which usually is not good news for my hair. I'm also happy to say that I can get almost as good results at home, although I air dry instead of diffusing (which was necessary today because it takes my hair a good 5-6h to dry by itself, and I had to get my photo taken before noon).

I was also given a $20 gift card towards my next appointment, although I don't know if/when it will happen, because apparently a cut there is $85 at my length, and I don't have that kind of money. I think I'm going to call and ask if the gift card can be used toward buying products instead, because I really did like the Deva Curl stuff, but it is on the expensive side of things for me.

I just wanted to squee about my hair today, because it was a beyond awesome hair day, and it made me very happy. For the first time in ages my grad photo (and passport, I decided to get those pics done today too, since I looked good) will have my "real" hair, and I'm ecstatic!

:cheese:

I'm hoping that my hair will last the night, and I'll have lovely second day hair. *crosses fingers*

Cosmicfish
January 11th, 2011, 08:41 PM
you have changed so much and look absolutely gorgeous!
I love your hair and the natural wave really does suit your hair and face.
What shampoo do you use/conditioner? it looks so soft and shiny.

squintinschool
January 11th, 2011, 08:51 PM
you have changed so much and look absolutely gorgeous!
I love your hair and the natural wave really does suit your hair and face.
What shampoo do you use/conditioner? it looks so soft and shiny.
Thanks! *blushes*

I'm currently starting to CO, using TRESemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture conditioner. And Garnier Fructis Curl and Shine Gel. CO'ing has definitely made my hair feel softer, and detangling in the shower on conditioner soaked hair is miles easier than when I used to brush it out dry. Even though I just joined LHC, I've been gradually treating my hair better since starting uni (going from SLS shampoos and cones galore, to SLS and cone free products, to learning about plopping), and it shows.

However, the wash in the salon was done using their products, namely DevaCurl No Poo, followed by DevaCurl One Condition, and then DevaCurl AnGEL on soaking wet hair with some conditioner left in (which is a step I need to remember, especially in the winter). After drying, she used some Uncle Funky's Daughter Gloss spray, for shine since I was going to get my grad photo done.

ETA: For reference, my avatar photo is from 2009 summer - you can see I was getting some nice waves going, but now they are much more defined, and less frizzy.

GRU
January 11th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Yay! :cheer: Always nice to have a GOOD salon experience for a change!

And definitely put conditioner back in your hair after rinsing.... curls *need* moisture, and this dry winter air is brutal!

brista
January 11th, 2011, 11:09 PM
Your hair looks so much happier now! It looks very healthy and I love the curls. :)

Dragon
January 11th, 2011, 11:15 PM
Your curls look really nice :)

Ryanne
January 12th, 2011, 12:16 AM
It looks lovely and (the waves/curls) very soft.

squintinschool
January 12th, 2011, 05:53 AM
Yay! :cheer: Always nice to have a GOOD salon experience for a change!

And definitely put conditioner back in your hair after rinsing.... curls *need* moisture, and this dry winter air is brutal!
I know eh?

And I'm definitely doing that from now on.

Your hair looks so much happier now! It looks very healthy and I love the curls. :)

Thank you! It is much happier, because this is what is really wants to do, none of that straight business. I wouldn't call them curls, but they are lovely.

Your curls look really nice :)
Thanks!

It looks lovely and (the waves/curls) very soft.
Thanks!

Woo! I have second day hair! Usually when I sleep on it, my head turns into a big poofball, but today no such problem. I dry plopped onto a cotton dishtowel (like a T-shirt material), then slept, and woke up with my waves non-poofed! Added a bit of water to tame the wee frizzies, but will be wearing it down today because it still looks good. Now I just want my PrettyWrap to come, because the dishtowel is not all that good at staying on my head.

Anywhere
January 12th, 2011, 07:14 AM
It looks great. :)

Glad it lasted through the night. :D

milagro
January 12th, 2011, 07:26 AM
Great curls!

triumphator!
January 12th, 2011, 09:38 AM
It looks so dreamy and romantic! I love when curls hang like that :)

kabelaced
January 12th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Omigosh! Beautiful curls and so SHINY! :D Congrats on graduating, too!

squintinschool
January 12th, 2011, 04:27 PM
It looks great. :)

Glad it lasted through the night. :D

Thanks! Me too. Although it wasn't totally good, the top got a bit flat, so I decided to camouflage that with a lace Dutch circlet:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6883&pictureid=93249

Great curls!

Thanks!

It looks so dreamy and romantic! I love when curls hang like that :)

Thank you so much! They are so much better behaved when happy.

Omigosh! Beautiful curls and so SHINY! :D Congrats on graduating, too!

Thank you! I'm not all the way there yet, but barring any catastrophes this semester, I'll have my BSc in June.

Lostsoule77
January 12th, 2011, 04:42 PM
It looks so good! I really like todays style as well. :)

squintinschool
January 12th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Thank you so much, Lostsoule77! Today was heavily inspired by reading fairy books (Merry Gentry Series) and perusing the Elven hairstyles thread.

PiroskaCicu
January 12th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Wow, I absolutely love your curls. You are beautiful :)

squintinschool
January 12th, 2011, 06:02 PM
PiroskaCicu, thank you so much! You have lovely hair too.

JuneBride
January 12th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Your hair is beyond gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

squintinschool
January 12th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Thank you so much, JuneBride!

Oz
January 12th, 2011, 07:11 PM
beautiufl! though i like the glasses picture more becuase GLASSES ARE COOL MMM KAY!!! i hope you realiste that ;)

kwaniesiam
January 12th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Very pretty. I'm not a curly but I still use the Deva Curl no-poo, it's a great sulfate free cleanser.

squintinschool
January 12th, 2011, 07:45 PM
beautiufl! though i like the glasses picture more becuase GLASSES ARE COOL MMM KAY!!! i hope you realiste that ;)

Thank you! I wear my glasses 99% of the time, because I spend a lot of my time in the lab and contacts are a very big nono. However, I like not wearing glasses when I'm doing sports/outside (in the summer its easier to find non-prescription sunglasses, and not having to switch all the time, and in the winter I don't get all fogged up from breathing into my scarf). I actually need to get new glasses, because I once went running with them in the rain, and they managed to fall off my face, land lenses first on the sidewalk and get all scratched up, so now they seem constantly dirty.

Very pretty. I'm not a curly but I still use the Deva Curl no-poo, it's a great sulfate free cleanser.
Thank you! It does smell great, I'm seriously considering buying some.