PDA

View Full Version : Neem Oil !

Infinity
January 11th, 2011, 06:21 PM
When I was ordering vitamins the other day, the company (Swanson) had an ad to get Neem Oil for hair health. i hastily ordered it. Now I'm not quite sure what to do with it. have any of you tried it?

littlenvy
January 11th, 2011, 07:18 PM
LOL.
*nods head*
The smell almost killed me and I had VERY hard time getting it out of my hair.
But ... I also put way too much of it on.
You are supposed to take just a little bit of it, add some EO like lavender to it to take away some of the smell, and just dab it on problem areas on your scalp.

Khiwanean
January 11th, 2011, 08:20 PM
I've heard of neem oil, but haven't tried it. I'm not sure I want to if it really smells as bad as I've heard it does.

mira-chan
January 11th, 2011, 09:35 PM
I've used it. I add it to my scalp oil mix if I have persistent itchiness. The smell goes away after washing, and the ACV rinse tends to beat it out smell wise.

Dragon
January 12th, 2011, 02:55 AM
I haven’t tried it but I love the smell of it.

Fethenwen
January 12th, 2011, 03:05 AM
I have heard quite a lot about it, but haven't tried it yet. It should be very good for the scalp and increase hair growth - or at least decrease shedding.

Chamy
January 12th, 2011, 03:06 AM
Theres no: no i havent tried it, but i know of it as the garlic-smelling-oil. Haha

Anyway, i'll be watching, since i have some at home and i have no idea how to use it. :p

Aurantia
January 12th, 2011, 03:14 AM
I have neem oil and love it -- I've used it on my scalp, hair and cuticles. It caused my nail cuticles to peel.

The smell was horrid and overwhelming at first but now that I'm prepared for the onslaught I rather like the scent. :o It's deep, nutty and warm ... and very pungent. I think it smells somewhat like roasting peanuts, though certainly less appetizing, and I get the impression that the smell differs from brand to brand. I use Alaffia Unrefined Neem Oil (http://well.ca/products/alaffia-unrefined-neem-oil_11805.html?utm_source=googlebase&tm_medium=googlebase&tm_campaign=googlebase) (got mine at Whole Foods for $7) -- this is a concentrated little pot that should be used sparingly as you would essential oils, a little goes a long way and I would recommend diluting it if you're applying it directly to skin.

It definitely helped my scalp calm down from being itchy which nothing else I've put on my head has done; I notice a pleasant warming affect when it's applied (I assume this is an increase in circulation -- another positive). My scalp is terribly picky, thus the love for something that makes it feel happy.

Added to other oils and applied to hair length there was no difference in results.

I can't say whether it helped increase hair growth as I don't measure regularly, but if it does increase circulation a boost to growth would make sense.

Maybe not much help but it's what I've got! :)

Eolan
January 12th, 2011, 03:52 AM
Tried a couple of times. Heard it was good for your scalp. Tried overnight treatments and the smell literally woke me up. The smell really overwhelmed me. So I couldn't use long enough to say if it worked or not.

ooo
January 12th, 2011, 04:09 AM
It stinks. Really! I tossed it away, can't tell, if it was any good. Thought I heard good things about the Hauschka Neem Oil.

Chamy
January 12th, 2011, 04:16 AM
Added to other oils and applied to hair length there was no difference in results. It caused my cuticles to peel.

They made your haircuticles peel, in the sence that they fell off? That does'nt sound any good, did i just misunderstand that? :confused:

Aurantia
January 12th, 2011, 04:27 AM
They made your haircuticles peel, in the sence that they fell off? That does'nt sound any good, did i just misunderstand that? :confused:

LOL, I suppose I wasn't very specific. I used neem oil on my scalp, hair and nail cuticles. When used on my nail cuticles it caused them to peel and resulted hangnails. :)

Chamy
January 12th, 2011, 04:33 AM
LOL, I suppose I wasn't very specific. I used neem oil on my scalp, hair and nail cuticles. When used on my nail cuticles it caused them to peel and resulted hangnails. :)

Haha, i get it! So your nails got sort of soft? (sorry if i misunderstand again, i cant really imagine hangnails :p )

ETA: checked up hangnails, and now i get the full picture. Im a swede, had'nt come across the term hangnail before. :)

So no use for the fingernails then, note taken.

Kerynna
January 12th, 2011, 08:53 AM
I use it occasionally. The smell, while noticable, doesn't really bother me. I leave it on the areas where I see dandruff, for about 10 minutes prior to washing. The dandruff is always gone immediately and for a couple weeks afterward. I don't know about any other effects of it; it feels good on my scalp is all I know.

Infinity
January 12th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Well, I can tell you all for sure, IT STINKS!! The smell, not necessarily the results. It smells like something that was burned. To me, , like the smell of burned walnut shells, burned down to ashes. yuck! What are the alleged results of this? It better be good!

HairFaerie
January 13th, 2011, 09:15 AM
I LOVE neem oil! Strangely enough, I don;t mind the smell at all. I secretly like it. I love the way it makes my hair feel. I massage it into my scalp only, let it sit there for a few hours and then rinse. It seems to make my hair feel thicker.
I have neem oil shampoo/conditioner that I got from the health food store. It smells like regular stuff, no odd neem smell. It makes my hair shiny and feel thicker.
I am a big fan!

Cupofmilk
January 13th, 2011, 09:21 AM
I remember when my horse had awful skin problems I used neem oil on him - it improved his skin and hair grew back. Perhaps using it on the scalp should be my next step