PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping

Kherome
January 11th, 2011, 06:06 PM
How do you sleep with your hair? Up, down, bun, braid? Why? I've been reading that you should sleep with it up but I can't see why that would be. Wouldn't rolling around on a braid cause more breakage? I've always slept with it loose, I'm not sure I could sleep on a lump?

Infinity
January 11th, 2011, 06:18 PM
I think there's a difference for straight heads and curly. . i slept with mine tied up for 20 years, and it got shorter! So, last month I switched to two braids. One didn't make sense, .....why sleep on your hair? Too soon to report any effects yet.

Madora
January 11th, 2011, 06:19 PM
For decades I braided my hair in 2 braids for sleep at night. But I finally got tired of rolling over on my braids at night and decided to wear it up in a braided bun.

The difference was like day and night. Before, I had a few tangles but now my hair is 99% tangle free.

It is best to somehow confine your hair at night to reduce any damage to the ends that might result from snarls/mats/tangles when hair is left loose. The less you have to deal with snarling, the better for your hair. hence wearing it up is practical and worth it.

joyful373
January 11th, 2011, 06:21 PM
It took this thread for me to stop and think... but my two best options are either a bun, or a good old fashioned sleep tail. (A ponytail with elastics evenly spaced down the whole length). Lately I have been sleeping in a braid, and no wonder I have been so tangly. LOL :doh:

TinaDenali
January 11th, 2011, 06:25 PM
I've been rolling mine up in a kerchief. I was tired of all the breakage from hair elastics - that and my cat ate one and had to go to the ER vet!!

jojo
January 11th, 2011, 06:40 PM
I do a side braid, which i just oil the ends no band to secure it. I am always worried a band will cut into my hair and cause breakage.

Sweet_Decadence
January 11th, 2011, 06:45 PM
I sleep with a very, very high bun seured with a scrunchie. I sleep mostly on my face and side so I don't tend to get much in the way of issues as far as comforts concerned. I also sometimes sleep with a loose sidebraid.

Also when I take the bun out in the morning I get such beautiful bun waves. It's instant pin up hair almost.

Since tying my hair back when going to sleep I've noticed significantly less tangles in the morning. I actually wake up now with something reasonabley manageable now where as before I'd stumble out of bed looking a piece of candyfloss.

Anne~
January 11th, 2011, 07:26 PM
I braid mine, put on a night cap and tuck the braid in. Happy Sleeping.

I never comb my hair between washings it always looks nice. :)

Kristin
January 11th, 2011, 07:36 PM
I was sleeping with it bunned or braided in a single English braid and on a satin pillowcase. Twice this week I sucked up my pride and slept with it loose in a sleep cap and I really like that. No pulling on the roots and tangle-free! ;)

dreamsofthewind
January 11th, 2011, 09:24 PM
I very recently reached a length where I literally could not sleep because my hair being everywhere bothered me so much. I then started braiding it, which has made a huge difference. I just throw the braid over my head, so I don't have any problems with sleeping on a lump. :)

Kherome
January 11th, 2011, 09:34 PM
Well my hair is long enough now that it is a pain to sleep with. I worry about tugging on it and occasionally my hubby rolls over on it and pins me and I have to either kick or holler him awake "Get off my hair! OW!" LOL

I'm considering the sleep cap. Anyone have a favorite brand? I would assume it's satin inside to prevent rub?

Henrietta
January 12th, 2011, 02:28 PM
I sleep with a pony with few elastics. Because I don't like braid waves and this style is comfortable for me. Also, I have no tangles in the morning:)
If you feel that a braid/pony will bother you or that you couldn't sleep with it under your back you can always put it above your head across your pillow.