PDA

View Full Version : Oiling the hair

Kherome
January 11th, 2011, 03:27 PM
I've seen this mentioned here several times, but I've not found the "how to" or more importantly "how NOT to" LOL. I've soaked my ends in olive oil before, is this what it refers to?

Roscata
January 11th, 2011, 03:43 PM
You might want to look at this article: heidi w.'s Oiling Tutorial (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=71)
Oiling rocks. :D

MinderMutsig
January 11th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Or this thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=57025
I agree, oil rocks!

Rebecka_N
January 11th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Agree! Oil is awesome! Good luck!:)

Kherome
January 11th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Ooh, thanks! I used SMT tonight for the first time. I just got finished so I can't say if it went well or not yet.

Kherome
January 11th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Ok I read everything but I have question or two. First I see a lot of folks saying the oil makes their hair dry and or crunchy. Is this temporary or causing permanent damage? I've always heard that coconut oil is very drying? I'm scared to mess my hair up by doing something wrong.

fairy_ends_girl
January 11th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Love, love, LOVE coconut oil! My hair adores it :))

silverjen
January 11th, 2011, 07:02 PM
I've been using coconut oil for months now with no crunchiness. My hair has never been so nice in all my life. Whether it works for you may depend on your hair type, not to mention your shampoo, water quality, other products that you use... I think you just have to try for yourself.

Roscata
January 13th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Ok I read everything but I have question or two. First I see a lot of folks saying the oil makes their hair dry and or crunchy. Is this temporary or causing permanent damage? I've always heard that coconut oil is very drying? I'm scared to mess my hair up by doing something wrong.

Yes it is true that there is no one single oil that works for everyone, so you might have to experiment a bit to find the best oil for your hair.

I don't believe oil causes any kind of damage, it might build up and you have to clarify your hair to remove it. Coconut oil has been proven to reduce damage to hair as a pre-wash overnight treatment and as a pre-coloring overnight treatment, so I honestly doubt it will harm your hair in any way.

I'm not sure where you heard coconut oil is drying, all I've seen people say about it is that it is good for dry, damaged hair, which is the opposite of that. In fact there have been studies that showed coconut oil penetrates the hair shaft which is why it is so good at protecting hair from damage as a pre-treatment and to help replenish moisture in dry damaged hair.

Here is a link with more info on coconut oil: The uses of coconut oil (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53786&highlight=coconut+oil)

Kherome
January 14th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Ok so I got my jar of Coconut oil today from The Vitamin Shoppe...now I am just staring at it, trying to work up the courage to try it out. I'm afraid I'm going to do it wrong though! Eek...

Mountaingrrl
January 14th, 2011, 07:14 PM
You can do it, Kherome! Start with just a fingernail scraping of it. :-)

Kherome
January 14th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Haha thanks!

So how much of my hair do I oil? And being at waist length, how much oil will I use on the area I am supposed to be oiling? Do I wash it out tomorrow or leave it? Thanks!

Vani1902
January 14th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Ok so I got my jar of Coconut oil today from The Vitamin Shoppe...now I am just staring at it, trying to work up the courage to try it out. I'm afraid I'm going to do it wrong though! Eek...
It's just coconut oil. Go for it. :)
Nothing permanent or traumatizing will happen.

Kherome
January 14th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Ok so for lack of knowing what to do I just oiled the last 2 to 3 inches of my hair and put it up in my sleeping braids.
Do I put the oil in the fridge so it doesn't go rancid?

ddiana1979
January 14th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Don't be afraid to try it. The absolute worst thing that could happen is you'll have to wash your hair a few times to get it out. :)

ETA: It will keep longer in the fridge, but can also be kept at room temperature. I put mine in the fridge because the jar is so big, I won't be able to use it all up before it goes "off" if left at room temperature.

Mountaingrrl
January 14th, 2011, 07:47 PM
You might want to check the label depending on what kind you got; it says on mine that it doesn't need to be refrigerated.

If you just used a fingernail scraping on your last 2-3 inches, I'd say leave it in until your regular wash day. Generally I'll only wash it out the next day if I've done a heavy oiling.

Kherome
January 14th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Probably a heavier oiling LOL. I used maybe an eight to a quarter of a teaspoon during the course of several fingernail scrapes...

longlockenvy
January 14th, 2011, 08:13 PM
From what I understand, people seem to oil from the ears down. I do it in the evening, before I braid my hair for sleepy time. I wash my hair every 3 days, and on that third day, I do a heavier oiling on my scalp and the rest of my hair, and let it sit for a couple hours before my shower. I use maybe 1/4 of a teaspoon on about 10 inches of hair.. about a tablespoon when i heavily oil it. You will figure out what is best for you. :) Oh, and I also keep mine in the fridge.

Deborah
January 14th, 2011, 08:57 PM
I buy the big 54 ounce jar and keep it in the jar, standing on the tank of the toilet. That spot is pretty cool, and the coconut oil stays just fine. I have used many bottles of it this way.