PDA

View Full Version : Self dust trim? How does this help hair health?

skyblue
January 11th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Hi, I just read the self dust article, I just wondered and please forgive me lol
But what are the benefits of doing this and would this also be a good way to get those split ends that are through out your hair?
Will it thin your hair?? The after pic looked beautiful! But I have a phobia with cutting my own hair...other then a tiny trim
thanks for explaining :)

Anywhere
January 11th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Well, it cuts off the split ends without removing too much length. If the splits are left in the hair the damage can travel up, meaning that more hair will have to be cut off later on or else it will most likely break off.

I believe the article mentions something about twisting small sections to remove splits that aren't at the ends? You'd only be cutting off a small amount of hair so it really would not have much of a thinning effect.

haibane
January 11th, 2011, 02:58 PM
The damaged hair article explains why dustings/micro trims are beneficial:

To illustrate, let's picture your damage hair as a thick, dry rope. The end of that rope is frayed and starting to unravel. Lets say our rope is 10 feet long, and it's damaged along the lower 8 feet from sun and water. It gets less damaged as you go up, but still, the vast majority of this rope is in shoddy shape.

No matter where you cut on really damaged area, lets say the last 6 feet of the rope, the end is going to fray and unravel. It unravels at the same rate no matter if you cut 1 foot from the end, or 3 feet from the end. Much more good info here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79 :)

skyblue
January 11th, 2011, 03:37 PM
wow that explained a lot! thanks for leading me to the damaged hair article! I do have splits all through my hair and it needs done! So tonight when I settle to watch tv I'm gonna give it a go
thanks to you both for responding back so fast
Thank you!!

haibane
January 11th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Happy to help and good luck with your dusting! :) I really like doing S&D myself.