PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the acid mantle..

Anywhere
January 11th, 2011, 01:22 PM
While reading a post that Igor made once, I came to a theory that my flakey scalp is due to a weak acid mantle. So my question is, What happens to the scalp if the acid mantle is removed? and I believe it's just sebum, right?

My scalp doesn't know how to make much sebum at all and so my scalp is always dry and flaky, especially if I shampoo and if I CO-wash more than 3x a week. I'm not sure if the lack of a good acid mantle could be causing that or not.

If I add oil to my scalp (and don't rinse it off for a day or two) would that just further disrupt my acid mantle? I'm afraid to do an ACV rinse because I read it's drying and my scalp is dry enough as it is. I'm thinking of experimenting by oiling half my scalp and leaving the other half be. Dumb idea or no?

Lucia2
January 11th, 2011, 01:58 PM
The acid mantle is sebum but it is mainly to do with the natural acidity or pH of the skin. The natural pH of skin is acidic, but a lot of detergents and products are alkali. Over time this can upset the delicate balance of the skin which compromises its ability to maintain a healthy appearance and repel infection, fungal conditions etc. (Traditionally tis is what facial skin toners were for - to help rebalance the acidity of the skin after cleansing as well as removing the last traces of product).
The best way to repair the acid mantle is to pay attention to the pH of the products you use (there are some out there that are 5.5pH which is ideal) and to rebalance the skin. So mild acid rinses will help (apple cider vinegar/lemon juice). Also you can treat the dryness topically with biological oils (no cones!).

Hope that helps (I'm airly new here but am qualified in hair & beauty).
:)

Anywhere
January 11th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Thank you. :flower:

I should probably try an ACV rinse after my next wash then. Just hope it doesn't dry out my scalp too bad. :eek: