PDA

View Full Version : Brazilian Keratin Treatment...Not the miracle i thought it was

Oksana
January 11th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Just thought i should inform those who were thinking about having the Brazilian Blowout or Keratin treatment that I am now seeing the negative effects of this 'miracle' product.

I have been singing the praises of this treatment for the reasons it is advertised but unfortunately after 3 months I am finding really bad damage developing. The longest layers underneath are fine but this is not suprising since the bottom gets trimmed regularly as I am growing out layers. My canopy has damage to the bottom 2 inches and I am not talking dry ends, I am talking FRAZZLED. It feels and looks like I have clamped a straightening iron on the ends and held it there for till it fried! Strangely it seemed to appear over a few days – I do not even use a hairdryer so I can’t place the blame on anything else.

I have also begun to really miss my curly hair and I will definitely not be having another treatment once my curls come back. I realise everyone will have different experiences but I hope this will help to inform peoples decisions about having the treatment. :o

Dyefree
January 11th, 2011, 02:11 PM
The worst thing was, a lot of these companies marketed these keratin treatments as being natural and actually good for the hair, but they are essentially all straightening treatments and all give damage like traditional straightening to a greater or lesser degree. The biggest danger of all with these treatments is that the companies were being very cagey with the truth and some had very high levels of formaldehyde.... Higher than what was considered safe in cosmetics.

I know that some countries are banning the treatments, and individual salons are not offering the treatment anymore (my salon stopped offering this treatment a few months ago)