PDA

View Full Version : jaw clippies?

geosangel
January 11th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Ever since I was little, my mom swore by "clippies" as opposed to scunchi's, (the hair ties that are all cloth). Being young, I never used them. She always said my hair broke at shoulder length from having it up in a pony tail. The older I got and the more I paid attention, I believed she was right, it always seems to break and split right where I wore the scunchi. Since I have been a member here, I paid even more attention. Being in Florida, I don't like my hair down, its way too hot, so along came the habit of putting it up all the time. Hubby bought me plastic jaw clips to use, and I love them, but, I can't tell if I'm going to get that same breakage. This past summer I have tried a small bun, loose, (tight hair gives me an instant headache), but, alas, my hair started breaking at all the different twists. I tried oiling before bunning, no difference there. I tried conditioning, same as well. With the jaw clips, I have the freedom of a gentle looser twist and the jaws hold it in place nicely. I have not seen anyone on here that uses these for their hair, which makes me think maybe they are not a good choice? I have hair sticks but my hair isn't long enough to get a loose bun with them yet. The jaw clips are made by goodies, and plastic. Any ideas on them or another alternative if they are not good? Also, my hair does not like braids, it breaks throughout the layers..I just hennaed for the first time to try to prevent damage and make it stronger. I am considering using the indian herbs (even though they will eventually make my hair black) in an attempt to thicken and toughen it up some..but I have not gone that route as of yet..

Kherome
January 11th, 2011, 08:52 AM
I'm new here so I have no advice but I am waist length and use my 8 arm octo clippy all the time. I am very interested to hear what the more experienced hair folks here say about this!

heidihug
January 11th, 2011, 09:01 AM
I don't use them now because I have too much length to comfortably keep up with clips. But, I used to use them all the time. The problem I had with them was that my hair always seemed to get caught in the spring which keeps them shut. If your hair doesn't get caught, I can't imagine that using them would be any more damaging than any other style or hair toy.

Kherome
January 11th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Hey! Another WIite!

I think my octoclip may be on it's way out. I love the ease, but I'm having more and more trouble with it, and I think I just have too much hair for it now. I guess I'll have to learn to use other things.

I don't use them now because I have too much length to comfortably keep up with clips. But, I used to use them all the time. The problem I had with them was that my hair always seemed to get caught in the spring which keeps them shut. If your hair doesn't get caught, I can't imagine that using them would be any more damaging than any other style or hair toy.

milagro
January 11th, 2011, 09:09 AM
I hear you, I also discovered here my strange short hairs all over the head are from pony holders! either from rubbing against the scrunchy or elastic or from pulling when I tighten it and take it off. It'd never come to my mind before reading about the pony damage on LHC. Now I just decided to wear ponytails no more at least uttil those hairs grow out.
I fix hair with jaw clips, even the braids, they keep in hair better than hair grips and I think give less damage. You only have to make sure they are of good quality, without sharp edges, abrasive-feeling coating or details or any hacks. And taking it out very carefully :)
I am thinking of using ribbons or strings instead of elastiics but not sure about how well they hold.
I also braid a lot though my hair is layered as well and it makes it more difficult. Buns are great idea if you hair is long enough to make it secure.

LaurelSpring
January 11th, 2011, 09:17 AM
I use clippies all the time. I use them mostly for my braided buns. I use the smaller ones all around the bun. It is very comfortable and holds well. I dont think it has caused any damage. I think that a good many people here use them also.

Here are a couple of videos that might help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OZEDOMF5ek&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY-rfngTdkA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg3D3eOtcq8&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

annieangel149
January 11th, 2011, 09:19 AM
nothing wrong with claw clips! they r good to use, along with scrunchies! the only thing i stay away from now are the elastic hair ties! i think alot of peeps here have quite long hair... too long for claw clips! i wear claw clips but i find scrunchies wrapped up in a bun more comfortable!

kittensoupnrice
January 11th, 2011, 09:27 AM
I used to use claw clippies all the time, until I started breaking them regularly from the strain of trying to hold up my hair. lol.

If one is not enough to hold your hair, try using two slightly smaller ones on each side of your bun.
I've seen some styles that use up to five or six small ones dispersed throughout a cinnamon bun.

Check out JJJ's long hair site (http://jjjlonghairphotopage.zoomshare.com/3.html) if you're interested in more claw clip styles. She's got extremely long hair and uses claw clips all the time and has a few video tutorials up.

geosangel
January 11th, 2011, 09:31 AM
awesome info! Thanks :)

feb26
January 11th, 2011, 09:58 AM
I only use claw clippies, hairsticks when I do my hair "up". a coated elastic band in a bun lasts a day & is dead afterwards..so elastics are reserved for braids. I find my hair stays up all day and no pain!

Darkhorse1
January 11th, 2011, 10:40 AM
I recently went back to clippies to secure larger buns for my shower time and/or cleaning styles. I find they aren't too damaging, but I'm also a bit clumsy and sometimes get hair stuck when doing a style quickly.

Remember, hair doesn't grow evenly, so you will also see different lengths of hair that is new growth as well.

I went to using terry ties for ponytails and braids when my hair dresser noticed breakage at a certain spot on my head. She hasn't noticed since the switch :D

Kherome
January 11th, 2011, 10:44 AM
What's a terry tie? Is that one of those fluffy ones little kids use a lot?

cataphract
January 11th, 2011, 10:58 AM
I can't use clippies mostly because I just have too much hair, even at my relatively short (nearly bsl) length. When I used to, though, I got my tiny hairs stuck in the spring. As such, they're only really useful to me when my hair is oiled together or soaking in cassia or something.

Are you able to get your hair into a french twist? That might be a good alternative. I was able to do it starting around shoulder length.