PDA

View Full Version : Stress = Bald??!!

Peggy E.
June 7th, 2008, 08:52 AM
It has been positively hellish around here - lots of illness, dementia diagnosis for my mother and trying to find some help for my father (she's got so many other physical problems, we're looking at hospice, though the Alzheimer's Unit at their local nursing home - a wonderful place, btw - would work the best for all involved....), my daughter being, well, her always difficult (bi-polar) self, on and on it goes.

This is not good for my Crohn's, but it also does not seem to be good for my hair. Which is becoming wild & crazy, broken, flyaway, lots of shorter pieces standing out of the sides, and getting fearfully thin. Falling out almost in handfuls and I'm scared to death to touch it at all.

Stress is part of life and there are times when there's more than others, so I know there have been those here who have gone through similar experiences. How did you handle the hair loss? Did you find anything that made it stop? (Being soused 24/7, maybe? Laurel & Hardy movie marathons??)

I'm now getting Meals on Wheels, so my nutritional intake has greatly improved - any other vitamins I should be trying? I don't want to add stressing about my hair to the long list of stress-producing factors. It is not a good time in my life, to say the least....

Xandergrammy
June 7th, 2008, 09:36 AM
I don't have any tips, Peggy. I just wanted to send you some hugs and positive thoughts and prayers. A Laurel and Hardy marathon might not be such a bad idea. Or try finding a Funniest Pets or Funniest Home Video Marathon. :flowers:

FrannyG
June 7th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Oh Peggy, so many of us have gone through this. Stress is a factor in hair loss, but it grows back. I highly doubt that you'll be bald before this shedding stops, my dear.

So in the meantime, yes, a Laurel and Hardy marathon would be good--anything that relaxes you and makes you smile.

Hugs to you Peggy. :flowers:

Nynaeve
June 7th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Oh, Peggy, I'm so sorry.
I'm going through a severe stress-hairloss time too, so I feel you on this.
I'm sorry, and I hope things calm down, having your stress begins to affect things that are important to you, it just stresses you out more. Try as hard as you can to take a step back and calm down.

Spend an evening with a candle and book, if you get some time.

I'm here if you need to talk, I hope you can get some good vitamins to combat it and can get some calm and normalcy. :flowers: :blossom: :flower::heartbeat:grouphug:

lady G
June 7th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Thinking of you and sending you a big hug xxxxxxx

Caldonia Sun
June 7th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Peggy,

So sorry to hear of all your difficulties right now. Hugs and prayers for you!!!!

Last year I had a rather big shed which left extremely thin spots at my temples; it really looked scary and I was terrified that I would lose my hair. I think it was from stress because I did have a few big stress producing incidents within six weeks of the shed, but wondered about hormonal issues, too. The good news is, though, that it's now a year later and the places have filled in.

Silver Strands
June 7th, 2008, 11:06 AM
I lost so much hair when we had a horrible
illness in the family followed by the worst outcome.

Mega B vitamins seem to help.
They call them stress vitamins.
It does help to take them with food.
Also, if you can do anything to take your mind
on a vacation when you're away from the hospital,etc.
it really helps.

Other than that, time i'm afraid is the only thing that
will turn it around.

Take Care

coppercurls
June 7th, 2008, 11:12 AM
:grouphug: Awe Peggy, I am so sorry to hear that you are going through such a rough patch of life right now. I am sending loving thoughts and prayers your way.

I had some hair loss years ago due to stress. I didn't go bald, but my hair was thinner for sure. It did come back once my stress level improved.

Please take care of yourself during this time. Find some funny videos, books that you enjoy, etc. Make time for yourself.

frizzinator
June 7th, 2008, 11:18 AM
I hope everything settles down soon. Maybe scritching, massage and preening might help.

I suggest the scritching because I've been told that hair falls out when your scalp is not getting enough air, sometimes because it's coated with oil, sebum or something. The massage increases the blood circulation in the scalp. So after scritching and massage you'll have greasy fingertips, and preening the hair with those fingertips will tame the frizzies.

Lamb
June 7th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Peggy, I am sorry you are going through this. Stress is the worst thing that can happen to hair, it's worse than baking soda. Mine gets straight and frail when I am under a lot of stress.
I would still see a doctor about the hairloss, if it's so severe, just to make sure it's "only" (:rolleyes:) stress that's causing it.
Other than that: (((hugs))), and please take care. Lying down for a little bit at some point during the day and doing deep breathing exercises helps. Try to fit in a nap or two, it needn't be longer than 15 mins.

MsBubbles
June 7th, 2008, 11:36 AM
I agree with Silver Strands on the vitamins. I'm so sorry for your current stresses.

I lost a lot of hair 3 years ago after a long and painful custody battle (which I 'won', if you can say that), and subsequent onset of Ulcerative Colitis. I learned a great deal about intestinal issues, including Crohn's, which I thought I had for a time (I don't). I lost way too much weight for my body type and looked skeletal, and my hair got so thin, even my hairdresser noticed and said out loud in the salon "Oh she's losing her hair" :agape:.
My conclusion: Make sure whatever you're eating stays with you long enough for your body to assimilate the nutrients!! I think my particular deficiency was iron, but the B vits are biggies, too. So if that means making taking care of your Crohns a major priority, I think may stop some of your hair loss. I noticed on intestinal-health forums that some people on prednisone were losing their hair, but I don't know if that was from the meds or the illness itself.

From my own experience, no amount of hearing people tell me to relax or calm down really made me do it, unfortunately. But if you do know of a way that works for you (like others suggested, TV, candles, and I'll throw in lots of exercise), I hope you can find a way to make that a priority too.

Wishing you peace now and in the future.

windswept
June 7th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Oh, Peggy. Thinking of you here in Australia :grouphug:

I'd recommend a multivitamin. Mega B vitamins are good, but I personally like taking a multi because the odds are good that you're not just short on vit B. Whenever I'm going through really bad times, I try to keep my multivitamins up and they do seem to help - I seem more resistant to colds, etc.

Also, maybe try meditation - it gives you that mental break from things, which you need when living in stressful times.

All the best.

squiggyflop
June 7th, 2008, 01:28 PM
*hugs*

ive lost alot of hair to stress at certain times in my life.. when i was a kid and my mom started drinking alot (again) my hair got so thin that you could see most of the scalp on the sides of my pony tails.. lukily during that time all the cool kids were wearing bandanas..

i also lost quite a bit of hair when i started college.. i dont think my hair has recovered from that yet..

i lost alot of hair when my brother was hospitalized in the mental hospital (which was also the day my dad served my mom with devorce papers)

i lost alot of hair before i had my surgery (i was also so stressed that my TMI allert!! aunt flow visited 3 times in one month)

i lost alot of hair after the surgery too.. (alot of my dreams were broken because i had to have the surgery so i was upset)

the hair seems to bounce back for the most part

one question.. i dont want to sound stupid but what is meals on wheels
i dont know that ive ever heard of it.. is it some sort of grocery delivery service?

a good multivitamin seems the right course of action.. maybe some light yoga.. they are always having yoga shows on the tv.. its relaxing just to watch them

MemSahib
June 7th, 2008, 04:08 PM
It has already been mentioned more than once, but take lots of B vitamins. Peg, our oldest daughter has Crohn's and when her first child was an infant, our daughter went down to around 80 lbs and lost about half her hair. Her naturopath pushed B vitamins and more B vitamins. The good thing is that they are water-soluble so they cannot build up in your tissue to toxic levels like the fat-soluble vitamins do. Excess will be harmlessly excreted in the urine.

I am so extremely sorry for everything happening right now. My own mother passed away last fall with dementia and I know how hard this can be on everyone. Take care of your dear mother but remember, you can't take care of anyone else unless you take care of yourself.

Prayers will be coming your way.

Tabitha
June 7th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Peggy I wish I had something concrete to suggest but I hope it helps to know that people are thinking of you and hoping things get better for you soon :grouphug:

TammySue
June 7th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Stress is evil! I send you hugs and hope you feel better! :grouphug:

Nynaeve
June 7th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Sending some more good vibes your way!

Have you had a chance yet to go pick up some vitamins?

Hope you are feeling a little better tonight. :)

littlebabywulf
June 7th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Well, can I try to put things in perspective for you? I deal with trich constantly. Basically, I obsessively compulsively pull out my hair. I do it out of habit, but not really by choice. It happens most often when I'm stressed. I have had bald patches on my scalp for years; I pull from the same place. In those areas, I've also developed gray hairs, even though I'm only 25.

At least your hair loss due to stress is out of your control. Mine is purely OCD. :(

Trich Wikipedia Article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichotillomania)

ole gray mare
June 8th, 2008, 12:07 AM
Oh Peggy, I'm so sorry to read this.
After Lily, I lost so much hair due to hormones and stress. It was awful. It's coming back but taking forever to catch up.
In my life, which has been stressful for years and years due to things I COULD NOT CONTROL. (Like my son's bi-polar, my daughter's death, etc.) I always found that even a bit of moderate exercise helped. Just getting out for a walk did wonders to burn it off.
And yes on the vitamins thing too. And water.
Sometimes just the simplest things like walking, drinking water, deep breathing...they are so helpful to me.
I'm so sorry you are going through this, and I totally relate. Hugs, friend. Know that you are being thought of and prayed for.

julya
June 8th, 2008, 02:19 AM
I am experiencing a stress related shed myself, and it is awful. I started taking a multi vitamin, and I think it helps some. Try and take some time for yourself, even if it's only a few minutes, and do something you enjoy.