PDA

View Full Version : passport+longhair

Vijikanth
January 11th, 2011, 12:36 AM
I got my passport when I had short hair. Will that be an issue if I have long hair now. My hair is past shoulders. Actually my passport got expired and meantime I grew my hair long. If I renew the passport with the long hair and if I cut my hair , will there be any complications. I had cut my almost below shoulder length hair as my passport got expired:(. But I could not renew it immediately. Now my hair is almost of the same length(shoulder). Hope I was clear...The passport is 10yrs of validity rite??:confused:

Elenna
January 11th, 2011, 12:40 AM
Not sure what type of problems you have where you live. But it's your hair that changed not your appearance.

myria
January 11th, 2011, 12:41 AM
It is valid for ten years so I don't think it should be a problem - I don't think anyone would expect you to keep the same hairstyle for so long :)

julya
January 11th, 2011, 12:47 AM
I recently traveled with my passport that shows me with chin length hair and I had no issues even though my hair is considerably longer now.

LovelyL
January 11th, 2011, 01:17 AM
The last time I had to renew my passport, the requirements for the photo were really strict and were all about keeping easily changed features out of your face, so hair was meant to be tied back if it wasn't short, glasses mustn't cover the eyes. Not sure about beards/facial hair though since I don't have any :p

They might ask you to pull your hair back from your face at passport control points if you choose to wear it like Cousin Itt (http://farm1.static.flickr.com/130/339655605_265c276bea.jpg), but I'm sure you wouldn't object to that!

Igor
January 11th, 2011, 01:20 AM
Would be pretty illogical to have issues with length or lack of length in the age of extensions and oh so many chemical colouring and structure altering methods

If they can get a clear look of your face and bone structure, they shouldn’t care

julliams
January 11th, 2011, 01:27 AM
You will be fine. I have been travelling on and off for many years. At one point my hair was very short and it's now waist length and I've never ever had an issue. My daughters passport was a 3 month old baby photo at one stage which she had up until she was 10 years old. Now that was ridiculous but we were never questioned and we have been to many places all around the world.

It will be fine. And hey, you might get a nice comment on how much your hair has grown!!!

jojo
January 11th, 2011, 08:10 AM
I dont really see how this is a problem, surely people dont expect you to look the same 10 years on? I have a pixie in my passport photo but you can still see its me apart from a few wrinkles!

Kherome
January 11th, 2011, 08:39 AM
My hair is pushed back in my PP photo, and I've never had anyone question the appearance of my hair when it's up/down/whatever. I think you'd be fine.

Calanthe
January 11th, 2011, 09:36 AM
You should be fine - on my old passport I also had a pixie cut and now my hair is past my hips. Hasn`t been a problem, either I was asked nicely to pull my hair back to better see my face or got a comment along the lines of "wow, you look way different now".

Vijikanth
January 11th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Hey Guys, That was some good news to me. Thanks for all the response. As mentioned by LovelyL, some of my friends told the basic features of the face should be accentuated. but after reading your comments I'm damn sure it should not be an issue if I have a passport with long hair. Thanks once again for your time. Have a great day..

lundmir
January 11th, 2011, 12:21 PM
When I renewed my passport, I had to put my hair up and away from my face anyway. As long as nothing obscures your face you should be fine.

MandyBeth
January 11th, 2011, 01:14 PM
DH had a buzz cut in the pic, now has mid back locs. No problems with it.

lupiae
January 13th, 2011, 12:09 PM
When i did my passport I didn't wear beard on my face. Now that I like to wear the "full beard" i didn't reniewed it.
I did a lot of trip from Italy to USA, Israel, Europe countries, etc... but I had proble nowhere!
Long hair will not be a problem, be sure.

IcarusBride
January 13th, 2011, 02:37 PM
This doesn't exactly answer your question, but I have gotten my identity questioned once! I was stopped by the police because I forgot to put the new registration sticker on my license plate. When the police checked my Driver's License they didn't believe it was me at first (even though the car I was driving was registered in my name, same name on my driver's license...)
The reason was because my driver's license picture was taken when I was 16, blonde, and about 80lb, and at the time of this incident I was 20, brunette, wearing colored contacts, and gained more than 100lb. They made me tell them my social security number and some other identifying information and let me go. They advised me to renew my license soon :D

nellreno
January 13th, 2011, 02:43 PM
I don't think it should be an issue. My passport photo is from when I was a kid so I need to change it anyways, but I had only shoulder length hair in my drivers license photo and I haven't had a problem yet with that. Unless your facial features changed dramatically the change in hair length shouldn't matter.

stefafra
January 13th, 2011, 02:52 PM
For my old passport I had chin lenght hair in the pictures, and used it untill last year, and I had long hair for ages after I took the picure, since it was valid for 10 years.
I never got problems for the picture, more for the general "well worn" look of my long suffering passport.
In the newest one I look like a ghost, ugly picture taken at the end of a busy dat that is useful since that is my look when I travel, I tend to get tired, nervous, pale...

On the rare occasions when I had to check ID documents (at a polling station) I had more problems with change of hair colour, not with the length of it, it can change the face of somebody so much: I must have looked at a lady soo long to decide that the passport was hers that she quipped "you know, people do get old!".
Oops, major :oops:

Intransigentia
January 13th, 2011, 03:08 PM
I just wanted to tell a funny story about passports and hair:

My mom's hair is probably about 3b curly. She seems to alternate between a bob (she has a good stylist who makes it not look like a mushroom!), and just past the shoulders, but always up in a bun or ponytail.

She had her passport photo taken during a bob phase, on a bad hair and general grouchiness day. It was sticking out everywere like a clown wig. It is, bar none, the least-flattering picture I have ever seen of her.

Then several months later she flew to Germany, with her hair all slicked back in a ponytail. The customs guy kept looking from the picture to her and back, and looking more and more puzzled. Finally she took the barrette out of her hair, messed it all up, and scowled at him. She actually got a laugh out of him, and he stamped her passport and let her in.