PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever use a styling product to hold a curl for a day?

shikara
January 10th, 2011, 10:53 PM
I haven't used styling products (other than spray for my bangs' style) and am not sure I want to but I am thinking of wearing my hair down one day and would kind of like a soft sponge curl at the ends or pin curls but it would be nice if my hair would stay curled for a little while before falling out. Have you had any experiences with this?

julliams
January 11th, 2011, 02:33 AM
Just a bit of gel for curly hair through it should do the trick. Don't use too much and run it all through damp hair with your fingers before curling. It might take a little trial and error to get it right.

Katze
January 11th, 2011, 05:13 AM
I mix gel with leave-in or a light conditioner, and use this after every wash. My hair is so unruly (new growth, frizz, thin ends) that if I don't, I may as well shave my head.

I think LOTS of wavies and curlies use product. Once I posted asking about this and was really surprised how many people did!

Hair spray IS one of the most damaging things you can do since it 'glues' the outer layers of your individual hairs together. FWIW. :)

mustpannkook
January 11th, 2011, 05:59 AM
I make two buns when my hair is damp and my hair stays nicely curled all day long. When I'd use gel I'd probably have curls until I wash my hair again.

shikara
January 11th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the feedback - how could I have not known that about spray, I mean, it makes sense doesn't it. Now to find a gel that won't weight the hair down much. When my hair was shorter and was styled daily, it sure didn't hold very long. ANYTHING seemed to weigh it down.

1hunky5monkeys
January 11th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Herbal Essences totally twisted gel works well for me. :)

McFearless
January 11th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Aren't gels for holding bringing out natural textures? Do they really help hold curls made by rollers?

1hunky5monkeys
January 11th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Aren't gels for holding bringing out natural textures? Do they really help hold curls made by rollers?

Yes they will. My dd has type 1a/1b hair and I apply gel to each section before rolling on *cold* hotsticks. Holds for several hours. :)

McFearless
January 15th, 2011, 10:41 PM
Yes they will. My dd has type 1a/1b hair and I apply gel to each section before rolling on *cold* hotsticks. Holds for several hours. :)

Wow thats great! I guess you learn something new everyday, thanks:D