PDA

View Full Version : Nasty, itchy scalps :(

Meridon
January 10th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Hello, I am going to go to my Dr to see if he can help me, but thought I would ask you what I can do while I wait for the appointment (it takes forever!).

My scalp is soo itchy, I am sure my constant scratching has made it even worse, and it's flaky and driving me insane. There are moments where I am trying to sleep and get very tempted to shave my head so that I can just slap on loads of moisturiser! I also have sore bits that I have scratched until they bled and sting when I wash.

I thought too much washing would dry it out so I only washed 2-3 times a week, but it doesn't make any difference. I'm currently CWCing and I have tried both using the conditioner on the scalp and avoiding the scalp - no difference. I've also tried oiling the scalp for a couple of hours before washing, no difference.

Any advise would be absolutely welcome at this point :( It's getting me quite down to be honest, which sounds silly and I wish it wasn't but it just constantly irritates me.

It's not headlice, I routinely check my hair as I have young children, lol. I had dandruff before in my teens, but it was never as itchy as it has been for the last couple of years, I'm just getting to the stage where I cannot put up with it any more.

ravenreed
January 10th, 2011, 10:15 AM
I had a chronically itchy, flaky scalp and two things have made it much better. I stopped using SLS shampoos and I do an ACV rinse at every washing.

ddiana1979
January 10th, 2011, 10:57 AM
I have an itchy scalp pretty frequently, but my scalp is also oily, so these treatments might not be appropriate for you.

Two remedies I've tried with success:

For "dandruff" or flaky scalp-- After washing hair, apply half a cup of Apple Cider (NOT apple cider vinegar) to scalp & rub in gently. Leave in for a few minutes, then rinse out with cool water.

For itchy or flaky scalp-- 1/4 cup fresh oregano, 2 Tbsp. dried lavender, 2 cups ACV. Mix everything together in a glass jar (preferrably with plastic lid, or plastic wrap over the metal lid, because ACV corrodes metal). Steep the herbs for two weeks at room temperature, then strain off the herbs & discard. Keep herbed vinegar in a dark jar in a cool, dark place. When ready to use, add 2 Tbsp. of herbed vinegar to 1 cup warm water & massage into scalp after washing. Do not rinse out. Use once a week, or more if desired.

Note: These are both from the book, "Naturally Healthy Hair: Herbal Treatments & Daily Care for Fabulous Hair (http://www.amazon.com/Naturally-Healthy-Hair-Treatments-Fabulous/dp/158017129X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294682115&sr=8-1)."

Tea tree oil is beneficial for irritated scalps as well & is a natural antibiotic. You could add a drop or two of essential oil to your shampoo or conditioner.

ETA: Aloe vera & aloe vera juice is also good for an irritated scalp. Very soothing.

grldollies
January 10th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Yep - Seeing the Doc may be good just to see if you have a medical issue, Bactria ect. I some times have an area on my scalp that itches & if I am sick or under stress it gets worse. I put a very small dab of Olive Oil by Hollywood beauty on it and reduces my itchiness & its almost gone for a wile. Though many "ethnic" oil blends tend to be heavy, this one isn't. The oil has a nice light smell and a blend that soaks in & don't make my oily scalp worse. I also use it as a every day - drops on my ends & outer layer. Works great- I've used it for years. I've tried some of thier other product but not as good. It does have some parabens & dye in it but that has not bothered me. You can get it at Amazon if you can't find it were you are. It is usually in the ethnic section. Best of all it’s cheep to try $3 maybe it can help you too.
Good luck! - Have a Great Day - Gay : ) :puppykisses:
Soybean Oil, Safflower Oil, Olive Oil, Vitamin E, Chamomile Extract, Macadamian Nut Oil, Coconut Oil, Methylparaben, Isopropylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Butylparaben, Fragrance, BHA, D&C Yellow #11, D&C Green #6.,
http://www.amazon.com/Hollywood-Beauty-Olive-Oil-oz/dp/B000A408JO/ref=sr_1_1?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1294682256&sr=1-1

Madame J
January 10th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Have you tried the oil shampoo method? My scalp hates conditioner, but also gets very itchy. At first I thought it was just a reaction to shampoo ingredients, but since I've tried oil shampoo, I've had almost no itching, and much less shedding. For the record, putting conditioner on my scalp AND putting straight oil on my scalp both result in more itching and shedding, but mixing oil with shampoo and using that to wash reduced itching and shedding.

Meridon
January 11th, 2011, 07:23 AM
Thanks for the ideas :D

starlights
January 14th, 2011, 09:48 PM
I live in London and i used to have itchy flaky scalp for years... it was horrible!!!!!!! then my long haired friend (outside of LHC) recommended that i massage my hair with oil .... since ive been doing that my hair has been dandruff and itchy flaky free!!!
i know what your going through, i used to have the really bad problem too... i think the cold weather dries the hair out completely!

Meridon
January 15th, 2011, 04:36 AM
What oil did you use? I've tried it with coconut, castor and extra virgin olive oils :/ They haven't done anything for it.

I'm just trying out a SLS free shampoo and conditioner at the moment - tonight I'm going to team it with a vinegar rinse courtesy of all of your helpful comments :D

yellowflower
January 15th, 2011, 07:07 AM
i have this to, do you dye? ive found that bleach is the worst and makes my hair bad for about 6months then stops, mine is herendous at the moment due to really bad bleaching hopefully around May time it will be ok again, what we do to our hair hey

Meridon
January 15th, 2011, 11:16 AM
I did dye it a couple of times recently, last time was October but I'm quitting that anyway in an attempt to get healthier hair as I've got dry ends. It wasn't bleach though - whenever I tried bleach when I was younger it went brassy lol.

Anywhere
January 15th, 2011, 12:50 PM
I find coconut oil to be wonderful for massaging my scalp with. Gets rid of my flakes.

mira-chan
January 15th, 2011, 05:41 PM
I had the same exact symptoms you listed, down to the scratching to bleeding. It got bad enough at one point that I lost about an inch of thickness. I have an Sulfate sensitivity. So sensitive that I can't even use sulfonates, which are larger molecule derivatives of sulfates that are seen as very mild. They don't cause as strong a reaction but the itching and mild flaking is there. Coco betaine I have no problem with, and no problem with soap based things.

It might also be a sensitivity to another chemical in the hair products. Try things out and keep a close eye on the ingredients of the things you are using.

ACV helps immensely with flaking as plain water here is chlorinated and that makes things worse too.

I know how frustrating the constant itching is so I hope the suggestions you are getting will help you find something soon.

Darkhorse1
January 15th, 2011, 05:44 PM
When I get this, I reach for Head and Shoulders, and it's gone. H&S is ph balanced so safe for color treated hair and I can't believe how great my hair looks! When I use this, no itchies. I was the exact same way as you--scratching all night, so much my head bled.

Seeing your doc is best, but what I did was use a zinc based shampoo and then, did a final rinse of cool water--that seemed to really help.