PDA

View Full Version : Long hair hype

TheBluffs
January 10th, 2011, 04:59 AM
I'm not sure if this is just me, but I have been approached twice in last 6 months with organizations asking if they could give me a haircut on live TV for support for cancer paintents. Another person I know with hip hair, has had the same experiences. Is anyone else being hounded for their hair?

Sinisiew
January 10th, 2011, 05:14 AM
I'm not sure if this is just me, but I have been approached twice in last 6 months with organizations asking if they could give me a haircut on live TV for support for cancer paintents. Another person I know with hip hair, has had the same experiences. Is anyone else being hounded for their hair?

Apparently quite common in the US from what I'v gathered here on the forum, do a forum search and you'll find a multitude of threads discussing the topic, also pointing out that the hair does in fact not go to cancer patients but to normal wigs.

Toadstool
January 10th, 2011, 06:08 AM
This seems outrageous to me!

spidermom
January 10th, 2011, 07:00 AM
Nope. I was once asked if I was growing my hair to donate it and I said I was growing it to enjoy it. That was the end of that.

enfys
January 10th, 2011, 07:17 AM
I've been appoached by salons asking me to be a model for them, which I've obviously declined. Sorry Vidal Sassoon, better luck next time!

No-one has ever approached me for a wig donation. If they did they wouldn't make that mistake again!

UltraBella
January 10th, 2011, 07:26 AM
I actually volunteer at our local cancer institute and no one has ever approached me and asked me to donate my hair. Most of the cancer patients I volunteer with would would probably smack the person with their purses of they overheard the conversation ;)
I have found that most of the women prefer head scarves and coverings to wigs anyway.

vamq
January 10th, 2011, 07:30 AM
This is one of the reasons I wear my hair up most of the time.

Didn't happen in quite a while, but I had people asking 3 times in one week earlier. And people (especially older ones) really get mad if you say you won't donate!

jujube
January 10th, 2011, 07:36 AM
I have found that most of the women prefer head scarves and coverings to wigs anyway.

This. Plus, quality wigs are so expensive.

Braidy
January 10th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Didn't happen in quite a while, but I had people asking 3 times in one week earlier. And people (especially older ones) really get mad if you say you won't donate!

That's just outrageous! What business do they have with your hair? I say let them have their own head shaved. And before anyone thinks I don't care about cancer patients: I do, I really do. My cousin had cancer when she was 16 and had to wear a wig for a long time, but she would never have accepted people getting mad at others for not donating hair. Your hair, your choice.

Cupofmilk
January 10th, 2011, 07:49 AM
Before I cut my hair off, I was stopped repeatedly in the shopping centre to model for a stand where they had special ceramic hair tong things and straighteners. They had lots of pictures of people with hair as long as mine but nothing is as good as a live demonstration - especially if you atre putting curls in - mine would have been hip-tb with loose curls. I kept saying no!

LaurelSpring
January 10th, 2011, 07:55 AM
Honestly I would be quite flattered I think, if my hair ever got long enough for anyone to consider it donate-able. Of course with gray and henna and all that it is not the acceptable virgin sort that they want so I think I dont have to worry too much.

TheBluffs
January 10th, 2011, 02:55 PM
I had another experience today..
One of my schools admin staff (Who has nice red hair to her shoulders), asked me today if I would be the object of a fundraiser for Princess Margret Cancer Research. There, students would try and raise enough money to cut my hip-length hair to a pixie. The hair would go to 'Angel Hair', and the money to PMCR. Ultimately, I would be a decoy.
I was then muttering about it a friend in Classical Literature, when my prof started to laugh and told me that I might want to consider cutting it there, or "Knowing her, she'll chase you down, and force you to cut it.'

What has this world come to? ):

Browniegirl
January 10th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Oooooo! This just gets me a " Bit Annoyed"! Many people donate their hair, but they don't realize it does not usually go to where it is supposed to.I'm not against people doing it, its their choice, but I grow my hair for myself( I hope that doesen't sound rude..:( , Its my choice :) .UltraBella, I agree with you about most people wishing to wear hats or scarves instead.Its really sad that such a issue has to even exist....