PDA

View Full Version : Does it take curly hair longer

yellowflower
January 10th, 2011, 04:47 AM
Now I know it takes curly hair longer to reach a certain length, but does it take dye longer to grow out?

looniac
January 10th, 2011, 04:52 AM
The reason it takes curly hair longer to grow out is because of the "bounce" factor of the curls. It depends on the chemistry of your hair and how the dye affected that... if the dye straightened your hair a bit because it damaged the curl pattern, then it may feel like it is taking longer to grow out the dye because, when dry, your hair is bouncing up more with the natural curl pattern.

yellowflower
January 10th, 2011, 05:37 AM
The reason it takes curly hair longer to grow out is because of the "bounce" factor of the curls. It depends on the chemistry of your hair and how the dye affected that... if the dye straightened your hair a bit because it damaged the curl pattern, then it may feel like it is taking longer to grow out the dye because, when dry, your hair is bouncing up more with the natural curl pattern.

I am abit confused, so will it take longer to grow out? My curl is about the same as it was before dye really.

Marjolein
January 10th, 2011, 05:57 AM
No the time it takes to grow out the color is just as long as it would be for someone with stick straight hair.

But a BSL look on a curly person takes up way more hair than a BSL look on a straight haired person. Therefore, a curly person would have to grow out much more hair (and that takes longer) than it would for a straight haired person.

yellowflower
January 10th, 2011, 06:06 AM
No the time it takes to grow out the color is just as long as it would be for someone with stick straight hair.

But a BSL look on a curly person takes up way more hair than a BSL look on a straight haired person. Therefore, a curly person would have to grow out much more hair (and that takes longer) than it would for a straight haired person.

Thanks for that, my first goal is to grow out my dye, then grow longer hair

chopandchange
January 10th, 2011, 06:31 AM
It doesn't actually "take longer," although it may seem that way.

All that is happening with curly hair is that the hairs are all scrunching themselves up due to the curl, thus making your hair look shorter than it really is. (Shrinkage).

So, yes, the shrinkage may also affect the appearance of your new growth and the virgin colour coming through. I have curly / wavy hair, and when I was growing out my dye I remember thinking on the few occasions that I straightened it: "Wow, my roots are longer than I thought!"

Hope this makes sense.

Marjolein
January 10th, 2011, 06:55 AM
Thanks for that, my first goal is to grow out my dye, then grow longer hair

You're welcome :) And that sounds like a good goal to have!!

yellowflower
January 10th, 2011, 07:57 AM
I wonder how long it will take to reach 2" regrowth, then I will be happier... Never thought i'd hear myself say I would be happy about re-growth haha

Igor
January 10th, 2011, 09:58 AM
I wonder how long it will take to reach 2" regrowth

Like people replied in your other thread on regrowing; You should be able to pretty accurately see your growth rate and calculate that. Everyone’s hair grows at a different speed.

yellowflower
January 10th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Like people replied in your other thread on regrowing; You should be able to pretty accurately see your growth rate and calculate that. Everyone’s hair grows at a different speed.

I measured today I have had 1.5cms growth in a month and at the back which was dyed abot before i have had about 3cm in 2ish months. Thats a little over 0.5" a month....which is pretty good, im pleased. should mean in few months i will have some good roots... :cheese:

redcelticcurls
January 15th, 2011, 01:26 PM
I'm a curly and I color my hair. My hair grows about half an inch per moth as evidenced by my roots.

My growth rate on a straightie will look similar for roots. But, her hair will look longer as a whole. If we both have 20 inches of hair to grow out, it should take the same amount of time. We will look different because of the different textures. I'm at BSL curly, but it is at hip length in the shower.

Anywhere
January 15th, 2011, 02:06 PM
as others have mentioned, it only appears to take longer due to the shrinkage. Darn you, shrinkage! *shakes fist*